N-Europe

Pokemon: Mysterious Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labrynth

Serebii

• 4 months later...
This has been out for a while in the US and Japan. I've not heard much about it and it's out over here next month. Isn't it any good?

It's a good enough game. Has a classic Pokémon Mystery Dungeon story, and the standard gameplay, upgraded a bit for the 3DS. The visuals manage to keep the Dungeon style

However, it lacks all the Pokémon, only having 144 which makes it a bit repetitive, especially since it has infinite dungeons in the Magnagate feature.

The demo is live on the eShop now though

1Y9j8.png

Played the demo and I just couldn't get on with this at all. Maybe after starting Fire Emblem recently, it has made me realise that the movement in this game feels awkward and unresponsive, and the attack menu's are limited and turgid. Don't like it at all.

@Serebii Does the game get to be as difficult as Explorers of Sky at any point? From my understanding, the difficulty has been drastically reduced from the previous games - which would be a shame as I though the difficulty curve was just right before (starting off nice and gentle enough, until eventually becoming ball bustingly hard at the Zero Isles :D)

Stuff like the hunger mechanic doesn't come into play until much later right? As long as the later stages are nice and hard, I'll be happy :)

Graphics are really quite nice, might even go as far as say they are better than X&Y from what we've seen so far.

TBH that's not hard ;) (assuming that you're talking about the field visuals and not the battles - which actually do look really good!)

@Serebii Does the game get to be as difficult as Explorers of Sky at any point? From my understanding, the difficulty has been drastically reduced from the previous games - which would be a shame as I though the difficulty curve was just right before (starting off nice and gentle enough, until eventually becoming ball bustingly hard at the Zero Isles :D)

Stuff like the hunger mechanic doesn't come into play until much later right? As long as the later stages are nice and hard, I'll be happy :)

TBH that's not hard ;) (assuming that you're talking about the field visuals and not the battles - which actually do look really good!)

I only had one issue with it, difficulty wise. Against one of the bosses, I just kept getting destroyed. As such, I switched to Companion mode and farmed missions to get reviver seeds.

Mind you, I didn't bother with the 99 floor dungeons. Nuts to that

• 2 weeks later...

I was quite charmed by the demo, the visuals are ok, but I still prefer the sprites over the 3D models. I really liked the music, and the gameplay has remained unchanged largely. That's not a big issue, I love the gameplay the way it is.

There was only one thing that really annoyed me, the speed of the dialogue! It's sooooo slow and there was no way to make it go faster! I hope there is a "fast text speed" option in the full version? Right? :)

I was quite charmed by the demo, the visuals are ok, but I still prefer the sprites over the 3D models. I really liked the music, and the gameplay has remained unchanged largely. That's not a big issue, I love the gameplay the way it is.

There was only one thing that really annoyed me, the speed of the dialogue! It's sooooo slow and there was no way to make it go faster! I hope there is a "fast text speed" option in the full version? Right? :)

There isn't unfortunately. I'm playing this game to review, and the slow text is making it so hard to play :( The game itself is decent so far, but it's the bits between the dungeons that I really don't like!

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, a few.

That's a really nice way of saying "over 500". :P

It really is a shame about the low variety of Pokémon, seeing as just about everything else in the game is absolutely brilliant. I'm enjoying it immensely, but it could've been so much better if they just had a broader selection of available Pokémon...

That's a really nice way of saying "over 500". :P

It really is a shame about the low variety of Pokémon, seeing as just about everything else in the game is absolutely brilliant. I'm enjoying it immensely, but it could've been so much better if they just had a broader selection of available Pokémon...

I agree. I was really sad at that. I don't get why they did it. I actually enjoyed this dungeon game and I tend not to. I hate the Dungeon subseries