NEurope
Daft

A Novel Idea

Oh, the title of this thread, I am hilArious.

I suspect more than a fair few people harbour this desire, so I thought I'd ask, if you were to write a fictional novel, what would it be about?

Me, personally, I would like to write something with a hint of Sci-Fi. Maybe set after the end of the world. War. I like war.

The first would would be detailing the events of one human soldier during war with an alien species, being forced into some morally grey issues and doing his part to save the planet. He'll be important, but wouldn't be the one to "save the Earth". The aliens will be viewed as evil.

The second point would be the war from the point of view of an alien soldier. You find out that humans attacked their homewrold after an incident due to a rogue pirate faction, but due to difficulties in communication there was no way to sort things out through negotiating (although this part would be found out later on). So the invasion in the first book was a retaliation to an attack.

I'd like to write a book, nay a series of books about about the one ring to rule them all.

@Cube - You should probably spoiler that for people who only want to read the story once it's published.

Some form of epic fantasy, but with less random names to confuse you for no reason.

I actually have several ideas for this from when I was a young 'un.

Some form of epic fantasy, but with less random names to confuse you for no reason.

Bob the Wizard

Lisa the Elf

Steve the Dragon

Probably adventure style... like Legend of Zelda/Fable. I'd prefer to make a game of it than write a novel though.

I have some totally sick comic book ideas.

All of which I'll never finish and will never see the light of day.

No. I eventually will do.

Tried several times to write a novel, with different ideas each time, but never managed to follow through with any of them. Never really plan out the plots in enough detail or end up over complicating things rather than going with things I know.

That being said, I have been mulling over an idea but haven't done anything with it yet. The general idea would be to look through the eyes of the main character and how he/she deals with isolation/the open world, particularly the psychological and emotional effects, all the while flirting with the dangers at the edge of society. Perhaps also looking at the world's naivety in how they deal with and help these people. Perhaps the grey areas at the edge of society cause the character to seek isolation again. Who knows. I've never really planned out anything I've tried to write. Although I think this basic idea could be interesting.

Also have an idea for a comic book based around the blending of dreams with reality but again, haven't written anything there and it was becoming a bit convoluted/hard to figure out in my head.

I often play with fantasy/sci-fi universes in my head, and since I'm so OCD-ish I develop a lot of rules for the fantastic elements in these universes. I also come up with a bunch of different storylines, but it's all just ideas. I have no idea if they'll ever become more than semi-coherent thoughts in my head.

I have so many ideas and concepts whirring about my head every day. I pursue all of my ideas it could be just a name or a concept and I develop it from there to see whether there is anyway weight behind it. Some of these don't see the light of day others get turned into poetry and a few get the ideas combined together to see if that works.

Currently I have my main idea which is at 40,000 words but that has been put on hiatus for something of a smaller scale I'm working on which I started in June which is 15,000 words at the moment and fully planned out.

:)

Keep getting silly ideas but not expanding on them enough - arguing with myself before pen hits paper about how to approach it... Essentially I'm told "you must write about what you know" and because I feel like I know nothing, I therefore have nothing to write about.

But it serves as an excuse for anything I do; "I'm just adding to my future portfolio of experiences from which to write my bestsellers."

I did 12k words on a post-apocalypse idea that needs a complete overhaul. But I think the idea of actually writing would be good.

TO THE CREATIVE GALLERY FOR A NEW GAME WE CAN ALL PLAY!

Please check here if you might be interested[/derail]

Years and years ago, when I was just entering High School, I wanted to become an author. I remember our family bought a computer and I decided I would use it to help me write a story. I planned the story to be in 3 parts and would basically be an Aliens clone but involving Mummies coming back from the dead.

I was heart-broken when The Mummy came out in the cinema about 6 months into writing this stuff. Literally heartbroken. I was about half-way through the book, on Chapter 19 or something and had already planned what would happen in the sequel. I rage quit and deleted the whole thing. There weren't that many similarities, my story was much better and had better action sequences. Also, no fucking Brendan Fraser. But, I was worried everyone would think I stole the idea from the film, so it had to go.

I want to write a story where a man becomes player 2 who goes on an adventure to find and fight player 1 so he can become the greatest player of all. Deep story right here.

Tried several times to write a novel, with different ideas each time, but never managed to follow through with any of them. Never really plan out the plots in enough detail or end up over complicating things rather than going with things I know.

That being said, I have been mulling over an idea but haven't done anything with it yet. The general idea would be to look through the eyes of the main character and how he/she deals with isolation/the open world, particularly the psychological and emotional effects, all the while flirting with the dangers at the edge of society. Perhaps also looking at the world's naivety in how they deal with and help these people. Perhaps the grey areas at the edge of society cause the character to seek isolation again. Who knows. I've never really planned out anything I've tried to write. Although I think this basic idea could be interesting.

Also have an idea for a comic book based around the blending of dreams with reality but again, haven't written anything there and it was becoming a bit convoluted/hard to figure out in my head.

I did start writing a story similarish, it was from a serial killer's point of view. Every chapter was going to start "People often ask me..." but I didn't get far with it.

I'd quite like to write a comedy, but I'm terrible at being funny.

What I have been told I'm good at is atmosphere and immersion told from the 1st-person perspective (I love Conan Doyle's writing, which is usually in this style). I often tinker with the idea of a story about a man overcoming his psychological problems; an allegory told through a straightforward yarn. Either that or the journey of someone who endures - and eventually escapes - a mundane job. With both these ideas, I feel I'd need much more experience and maturity to do them justice.

I want to write a story where a man becomes player 2 who goes on an adventure to find and fight player 1 so he can become the greatest player of all. Deep story right here.

I genuinely did write a story that's very similar to that years ago and it was a children's to pre-teen's book but then Spy Kids 3D came out with a similar idea so decided not to go with it! :(

Might try and dig it out again...if I can find it.

Anyways, at the moment, I'm writing a series of books. I've done books one and two for Nanowrimo but didn't finish the wordcount on time but still finished the books anyway. By the end of it, there should be five books in total, each one around 350-400 pages each but I'm contemplating a fifth...not sure.

But I do have an idea for a book in my head which I will tell you later on...:)