NEurope
MoogleViper

British Television - Is it really bad?

Well, can you name some science fiction shows that fit that definition?

Well Star Wars tends to be classed as Science Fantasy anyway doesnt it. Doctor Who probably leans more towards that end Id say.

Taking an aside from this sci-fi de-fi(ning); I watched that Jack Whitehall tv show thing. It was bad.

Jack Whitehall annoys the hell out of me. I can only imagine his show is terrible and I won't force myself to watch it.

I only did because my housemate put it on. He annoys me too.

Stumbled upon this on Tumblr and it seemed relevant:

tumblr_m2w439s4op1qjxl1no1_250.giftumblr_m2w439s4op1qjxl1no2_250.gif

Edited by Ashley

I recently watched Sherlock (ok this week I watched all 6 episodes pretty much in one go) and my god! Where have I been...

After being in NYC for 8 weeks, I can tell you I miss iPlayer...a lot. The TV here is awful, it's constantly repeated - I watched Mulan only for it to be on the same channel again right after. There's adverts every 10 minutes and they go on for at least 3-5minutes..

Dreaful, utterly dreadful, we may have some odd tv shows, but at least some of it is watchable. I'm craving some decent tv!

I recently watched Sherlock (ok this week I watched all 6 episodes pretty much in one go) and my god! Where have I been...

After being in NYC for 8 weeks, I can tell you I miss iPlayer...a lot. The TV here is awful, it's constantly repeated - I watched Mulan only for it to be on the same channel again right after. There's adverts every 10 minutes and they go on for at least 3-5minutes..

Dreaful, utterly dreadful, we may have some odd tv shows, but at least some of it is watchable. I'm craving some decent tv!

What confused me about American tv is that they have adverts constantly throughout the programs, but then none in between episodes of something! So, while an episode of HIMYM or Big Bang Theory might have two or three blocks of longs adverts during it, after the credits have rolled, another pops right up, with no ads at all, not even network ads! It's very odd to watch, and makes the actual distiction between episodes quite hard to work out...

Exactly, I really don't like it. I mean sometimes it's awesome to have like 4 episodes of HIMYM. But at the same time, the adverts, by god I wouldn't mind if they were decent, but its like a throw back from the 90s when we discovered graphics for websites.

What confused me about American tv is that they have adverts constantly throughout the programs, but then none in between episodes of something! So, while an episode of HIMYM or Big Bang Theory might have two or three blocks of longs adverts during it, after the credits have rolled, another pops right up, with no ads at all, not even network ads! It's very odd to watch, and makes the actual distiction between episodes quite hard to work out...

I assume this is because people would be more eager to catch the end of an episode (and thus not switch over/go for a cuppa/American inequivalent) than they would to miss the start. When the episode does finish though the next starts so you stay put.

It doesn't really work for comedies as the ending is usually an unrelated tag but I assume this is the theory.

I don't watch an awful lot of TV these days other than football really.. so thank goodness that's back on our screens again :grin:

As far as everything else goes, I'm basically waiting for the next series of Peep Show to arrive so that there's at least something decent for me to enjoy, much like I've had to wait all year for Bloc Party to release Four so that I had new music to listen to that didn't make me want to cut my ears off..

I'm basically waiting for the next series of Peep Show

Is that still being made? I heard a while ago it was going to be screened this Autumn but I haven't heard a...peep...since.

They can't leave it as things stood at the end of series 7.

Is that still being made? I heard a while ago it was going to be screened this Autumn but I haven't heard a...peep...since.

They can't leave it as things stood at the end of series 7.

As far as I was aware, Season 8 & 9 have been commissioned so it should hopefully be only a matter of time before we see Peep Show on our screens again :hehe:

My only real concern is that the quality may suffer the further it goes as it's highly commendable that the programme is still so good after all this time..

I have just watched a program called 'Accused' on BBC One. It was on last week with Sean Bean which I didn't see, but this weeks was absolutely brilliant.

Fantastic acting, a great story told very well, and very emotional.

It's on again next week - Tuesday at 9. Each week it's a different story.

Should definitely tune in if your opinion of British TV is waining / already negative ha.

Bottom is coming back! Bottom is coming back!!

article-0-00F9AF4300000191-759_468x499.jpg

It has been nearly two decades since Richie Rich and Eddie Hitler last graced our television screens in cult hit, Bottom.

Now 18 years on BBC2 is reuniting Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson for a new series of Bottom.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2192565/Ade-Edmonson-Rik-Mayall-reunite-new-episodes-Bottom.html#ixzz24Oter0A2

It's one of my Top 3 favourite-ever programmes, so I'm chuffed! With this, Red Dwarf, Vic & Bob and Alan Partridge (on Sky), it's like the '90s again!

If I were to list the things I hate the most about British television, bringing back TV shows ten-twenty years after they ended would be near the top.

I'm willing to give it a chance!

I'm chancing to give it a will!

But honestly: I never liked this programme even 20 years ago. They just tried too hard to be funny, and they weren't.

British TV is awesome. Seriously.

Here in China, there are either badly made period dramas or The Monkey King. And that's it, apart from the odd reality series or the nightly "Two Minutes Hate" of everything Western and the "Three Hours Love" of everything the Party has ever done.

OK, moving away from British TV, why is it that every gun fight in TV is ridiculous?

I've recently started watching Breaking Bad (there you go ReZ, you can stop your bitch-ass whining now).

Ok at the end of this episode, Hank locates Jesse's car, and Tuco(sp?) is standing next to it. Now there is a pretty big cheese in the drug world, standing there with an assault rifle. There's an experienced, highly-trained DEA agent (I think he's some kind of boss or something) with a pistol. They're standing about 10 yards apart. And proceed to miss each other. This is completely ridiculous. They then duck behind cover to reload. Hank, after missing a full magazine with no cover, then proceeds to hit Tuco with 1 shot, a fraction of a second after he pops up from the car.

They also fire loads of shots at each other. now a pistol is likely to have 8, 10 or 12 rounds. Tuco's M4A1 will have a 30 round magazine. Both of them fire way more bullets than this before reloading.

Thirdly, after they start shooting, Hank uses the car door as cover. Tuco hit's the car door multiple times (that's of course when he's not hitting the floor 2 yards in front of him) whilst hank is stood behind a door. Now a car door will in no way stop a bullet, it will barely slow it down. Yet Hank is completely unharmed, and there are no holes in the door card.

Here's the episode: (skip to around 44:30

This sort of thing is seen in TV so so much. It really pisses me off. Can you really not think of an imaginative or creative way for them not to hit each other? At least make them stand further apart or provide some decent cover and tactics.

It makes this scene look realistic: