N-Europe

Okami HD

Retro_Link

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok I got it! This is the best HD Remaster that has been released so far by far. Full 1080p, visuals seem to be perfectly intact, no glitches (the ink effect and the parchment filter look just as they should do) all the 2D elements have been properly re-drawn and not a bit of slowdown. The loading times are also substantially improved over the PS2 original (menu now features no loading lag at all :D)

Buy this if you want to show others a message about how it should be done (it's especially impressive in the wake of the disappointing Nights and ZOE HD Re-masters!)

I haven't tried out the Move controls yet, but I'll update when I get some of the brush powers to try out!

Edit: Ok, just gave them a go... The drawing recognition seems to work fine, but there are a couple of problems...

Firstly, the Move loses calibration very easily and annoyingly often, making repositioning a pain. Secondly, You lose camera control. Unless you are a master of the Monster Hunter Claw (camera controls are mapped to the D-pad on the DS3 controller), you aren't going to be controlling the camera - and in a game like Okami, where the auto camera controls aren't the best, that's a big problem.

Most importantly (and this comes as a surprise from someone who hasn't played Okami Wii), the motion controls don't actually make the game any more fun. That's a real shocker to me! I would've imagined that the extra speed and precision that you get would make combat more enjoyable, but I find that the impact it ultimately has is really very minimal.

Give it a go if you have one lying around, but don't buy a Move just for this game (do that for HOTD4 instead, like I did!)

Edited by Dcubed

Worth getting if I have the Wii (and PS2) version but never got round to playing it?

The only addition here is 1080p resolution visuals.

Just depends on how much you care about picture quality (I'd say yes myself, but you're not missing out on any gameplay by not getting it)