N-Europe

Nintendo Land

Retro_Link

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@EEVILMURRAY... you crazy amigo. :nono:

:idea: Have you reached the advanced stages on Metroid? If not, you should definitely check 'em out before deciding to sell NL.

Speaking of which, I've discovered an even crazier stage on that game...

...one where you have to fight Ice Ridley and normal Ridley, at the same time!!

:eek:

The Ridley & Kraid combo on the final advanced stage is also incredibly awesome. ;)

I'm now trying to Master every stage with both the Gunship and Samus, not gonna be easy. :shakehead

So far (aside from the big multiplayer session last weekend when cousins visited...mainly Mario Chase and Luigis Mansion) I'm only playing this in short bursts.

FINALLY beat the first course on Donkey Kongs Crash course :yay:

And doing the Zelda game one stage at a time.

I fear if I put in a good long session I'll get sucked into it all too much.... wanna finish up my ZombiU Surivor mode run first.... hopefully I don't die again :heh:

I'm only playing this in short bursts.
Then you can expect to be playing it for a loooong time. :)

FINALLY beat the first course on Donkey Kongs Crash course :yay:
Congrats! Have fun with the other courses. ;)

When I first started playing NL, I wasn't too keen on DK's Crash Course, but I grew to love it. And for a game that appears to be so simple, there's some insane depth to the game mechanics, I mean check this out:

I fear if I put in a good long session I'll get sucked into it all too much....
You will, trust me. :D

I'm actually really glad that NL was my only Wii U launch title, as I was able to focus on it without distraction. :cool:

Then you can expect to be playing it for a loooong time. :)

Congrats! Have fun with the other courses. ;)

When I first started playing NL, I wasn't too keen on DK's Crash Course, but I grew to love it. And for a game that appears to be so simple, there's some insane depth to the game mechanics, I mean check this out:

You will, trust me. :D

I'm actually really glad that NL was my only Wii U launch title, as I was able to focus on it without distraction. :cool:

How the hell are those flips and massive jumps done o,o

How the hell are those flips and massive jumps done o,o
I've done flips myself (you have to do those on some of the extra courses) it's just a case of tilting further than usual so you drop over an edge, the in-game gravity does the rest. ;)

As for the long jumps, well I've done those too, but not with the level of control seen in that vid (mine always end in a crash :heh:), you need to do big and quick tilting motions.

I've done flips myself (you have to do those on some of the extra courses) it's just a case of tilting further than usual so you drop over an edge, the in-game gravity does the rest. ;)

As for the long jumps, well I've done those too, but not with the level of control seen in that vid (mine always end in a crash :heh:), you need to do big and quick tilting motions.

No wonder I can't get past Course 2 :p

Whoa, some of those jumps look like they shouldn't be able to be done. I don't even think I've gotten half way though the second stage yet. I have been using that 'press Y' trick (though not so much a trick) that if you are about to crash, press it and you just go back to the last check point without loosing a life.

Just played two levels of Pikmin with my 3 year old daughter... she loved it!!

She was Olimar I was a Pikmin. Although cousre 1 took 7 1/2 mins and some help was needed... she ended up beating me in the 'Usefulness' stakes (51%!)!

Officially best gaming day EVER!!!

This is why I love Nintendo! :heart::hug:

And now she's playing Mario Chase, Sweet Day & Luigi's Mansion!!

P.s. Got 3 Mario stamps whilst playing with her... Is that cheating?? ;)

It's still the worlds worst decision to force you to play through every course. Why would they do something so effing stupid? Just open them up as separate courses and people would play the game so much more. Nintendo are simply the weirdest company I know of. Constant bizarre decisions.

It's still the worlds worst decision to force you to play through every course. Why would they do something so effing stupid? Just open them up as separate courses and people would play the game so much more. Nintendo are simply the weirdest company I know of. Constant bizarre decisions.
It's an homage to old-school game design; you die, you start back at the beginning. :heh:

Plus, once you get good it's possible to blast through the first couple of courses anyway.

Also, the whole point of building up a highscore would be lost if they were separate courses. OK, they could just have separate scoreboards, but that's extra faff/interface to deal with, and Nintendo are clearly trying to keep things simple in that regard.

The lack of online scoreboards/comparisons is a way more bizarre decision.

After a weekend of playing this, I can now say I was so wrong about this game. Its brilliant.
Glad to hear that, lostmario. icon14.gif

Hopefully everyone that prejudged the game will spend some more time with it and discover its hidden depth/awesomeness. :)

It's an homage to old-school game design; you die, you start back at the beginning. :heh:

Plus, once you get good it's possible to blast through the first couple of courses anyway.

Also, the whole point of building up a highscore would be lost if they were separate courses. OK, they could just have separate scoreboards, but that's extra faff/interface to deal with, and Nintendo are clearly trying to keep things simple in that regard.

The lack of online scoreboards/comparisons is a way more bizarre decision.

They're both ridiculous decisions. Nntendo have a philosophy but then seem to go against that philosophy, the whole point of miiverse was so people could connect but not play online together, surely miiverse is buyout to compare scores on this and the mario challenges? No company on this earth infuriate me like Nintendo infuriate me.

It's like you say, they want to be as simple and accessible as possible. But the design they have Nintendoland means on these start at the beginning games, the ONLY people who will see the later content are really serious experienced gamers. My nephews certainly won't, my girlfriend wouldn't, maybe even I won't. But we all would if Nintendo broke it up more.

Nntendo are so confused in their messages and game design approach nowadays.

They're both ridiculous decisions. Nntendo have a philosophy but then seem to go against that philosophy, the whole point of miiverse was so people could connect but not play online together, surely miiverse is buyout to compare scores on this and the mario challenges? No company on this earth infuriate me like Nintendo infuriate me.

It's like you say, they want to be as simple and accessible as possible. But the design they have Nintendoland means on these start at the beginning games, the ONLY people who will see the later content are really serious experienced gamers. My nephews certainly won't, my girlfriend wouldn't, maybe even I won't. But we all would if Nintendo broke it up more.

Nntendo are so confused in their messages and game design approach nowadays.

But if someone can't progress to the later content, then being able to skip forward to it isn't going to be beneficial to them, in fact it'll probably just piss them off even more! :heh:

DK's Crash Course is a perfect example, the final area on that game is impossible to play without the knowledge/skills that you acquire from the previous courses. ::shrug:

It ain't bad game design, dazzy, it's your standard difficulty curve that's essential in order to create an experience that remains compelling as people progress.

I know for sure that I wouldn't want to "fast forward" in any game to a later stage, if I couldn't even comfortably beat the early ones. I'd just keep trying to improve, or accept that the game is too difficult for me.

But I really don't think anyone can accuse Nintendo, (who have been going out of their way to make game content as accessible as possible, with stuff like super guides and assist items) of designing content ONLY for experienced gamers. :blank:

Whats your top score on DK CC ? mines 16111
Great score! icon14.gif

My best on Donkey Kong's Crash Course is 12317

You should add your scores here:

http://www.cyberscore.me.uk/group/1170/7100

Site works great via the Wii U Browser too, so it's nice and easy to add scores while playing a game. :)

My other scores in the solo games:

Yoshi's Fruit Cart = 2352

Octopus Dance = 3015

Takamaru's Ninja Castle = 8420

Captain Falcon's Twister Race = 12916

Balloon Trip Breeze = 11501

But if someone can't progress to the later content, then being able to skip forward to it isn't going to be beneficial to them, in fact it'll probably just piss them off even more! :heh:

DK's Crash Course is a perfect example, the final area on that game is impossible to play without the knowledge/skills that you acquire from the previous courses. ::shrug:

It ain't bad game design, dazzy, it's your standard difficulty curve that's essential in order to create an experience that remains compelling as people progress.

I know for sure that I wouldn't want to "fast forward" in any game to a later stage, if I couldn't even comfortably beat the early ones. I'd just keep trying to improve, or accept that the game is too difficult for me.

But I really don't think anyone can accuse Nintendo, (who have been going out of their way to make game content as accessible as possible, with stuff like super guides and assist items) of designing content ONLY for experienced gamers. :blank:

Sorry, I didn't mean have them all opened and accessed to skip them, I mean once you open up the table it's the open to select. You know, like any game where you open up a level, or a new character, or stage or track, or cup. It's the traipsing through the earlier courses i find incredibly clumsy and puts me (and I suppose most other people) off the game, and I have a lot of patience and really love this, but I can only have a couple of goes before it irritates me doing the same courses over and over when it's completely unnecessary. This isn't 1985. I don't understand the benefit of it, people would be much more willing to time attack the individual courses.

Am I the only one who thinks this is beyond bonkers?

Sorry, I didn't mean have them all opened and accessed to skip them, I mean once you open up the table it's the open to select. You know, like any game where you open up a level, or a new character, or stage or track, or cup. It's the traipsing through the earlier courses i find incredibly clumsy and puts me (and I suppose most other people) off the game, and I have a lot of patience and really love this, but I can only have a couple of goes before it irritates me doing the same courses over and over when it's completely unnecessary. This isn't 1985. I don't understand the benefit of it, people would be much more willing to time attack the individual courses.

Am I the only one who thinks this is beyond bonkers?

icon3.gif Ah. OK, I'm with you now.

Yeah, I'm not really too fussed about that in this case (as the stages are pretty short anyway), but I can understand how some people might be.

I remember finding the lack of a level select annoying on Star Fox 64 though (something that was later fixed for the 3DS version), as constantly replaying Corneria became a bit tedious after a while.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!