NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Wonderful 101

Demo is really confusing, but super fun. Only thing I'm not super happy with are the touch gestures for the attacks, they seem a bit sluggish. Better than using the analog stick though.

The demo is also surprisingly long, way longer than I expected. There are plenty of options for off-screen play too!

Yeah, I hate to do a /nando/™ :D but..

..and that's a thing now, is it..? :heh:

I downloaded the demo so I'll hopefully give the game a shot tomorrow but the 20 minute Nintendo Direct still didn't get me enthused :hmm: I'm not feeling the 'style'..

bbc6d7125c2542c1d18a9c3cc3a7cbe6.gif?1376089439506

..and that's a thing now, is it..? :heh:

It's a thing alright : peace:

Skipped the 7 minute trailer, no need to watch that before getting the game. Rest of the game looked amazing, I hope there's plenty of those puzzle segments and not just fighting at every turn.

Well I've played the demo quite a bit now, and the more I play, the more I like it! :hehe:

Gold a gold medal for the story mode part, and had a go at the mission mode.

Having switched to the Pro Controller helped too, plays so much better with that I reckon. Drawing the shapes using the analog stick is actually very responsive, it's also cool how you don't even need to draw a full circle for the unite hand or recruit abilities. Even cooler than that, is because those techniques share the same "circle" shape, it's context sensitive! :cool: So the circle will be red when you can transform to the hand and green for rescuing or other stuff. Pretty slick. icon14.gif

Only potential problem playing with the Pro Controller is the same issue I had with Pikmin 3, where some stuff is tied to the GamePad. :nono: I noticed you can switch the GamePad screen to the TV (in full, or PiP) but it's still something that could end up being annoying. :hmm:

But anyway, reckon this'll be a purchase for me after all... When is it coming out though? :heh:

I'm glad you're enjoying it @RedShell.

It's awesome. I played some more of the demo earlier and I'm in love with it. I'm not going to play any more of it as I don't want to spoil myself or it too much.

Crazy game, but amazing fun. Really looking forward to it. :D

Does this count as a Nintendo IP? Or is it Platinum's game but exclusive to Wii U?

Not played the demo yet (waiting till I finish Pikmin) but glad to hear you guys are having fun with it. The battles look a bit of a mess but it sounds like the type of game that has grow on you and you have to get used to.

I heard that the date you have just given is a mistake and it's actually coming out on August 23rd. Please confirm, somebody.

According to a few sources behind the scene, it's actually going to be out on August 23rd instead.

I'll admit, I don't have rights to even make that joke. I skipped the direct seeing people say it reveals too much! However I got the demo, took it for a spin this morning when some pricks decided 7am was the best time to ring me on a saturday, and whilst at first I was rather confused/unsure it slowly grew on me.

There's probably lots I've missed(some people have mentioned drawing on the gamepad! I just used the sticks!) but I can see this game being good for both its medals, and its medals/scores in a miiverse sense. I'm not sure 100% yet that it'll be a day one for me, given I've still got enough Pikmining to do and being broke and all but...maybe.

One thing I have to say I love though? Not just this, but Wii U in general...it's the HD graphics in a non-brown landscape. Stuff just being HD but awesomely vibrant at the same time. I'm sure plenty indie stuff does it, but Pikmin, this, it's just...lovely.

Does this count as a Nintendo IP? Or is it Platinum's game but exclusive to Wii U?

The accurate answer to this is that it's a Nintendo IP. Nintendo literally owns the Wonderful 101 intellectual property.

But of course, creatively, it's Platinum's game through and through :heh:

So what you're saying is they each own 50.5 Wonderful people?

Well I've played the demo quite a bit now, and the more I play, the more I like it! :hehe:

Gold a gold medal for the story mode part, and had a go at the mission mode.

Having switched to the Pro Controller helped too, plays so much better with that I reckon. Drawing the shapes using the analog stick is actually very responsive, it's also cool how you don't even need to draw a full circle for the unite hand or recruit abilities. Even cooler than that, is because those techniques share the same "circle" shape, it's context sensitive! :cool: So the circle will be red when you can transform to the hand and green for rescuing or other stuff. Pretty slick. icon14.gif

Only potential problem playing with the Pro Controller is the same issue I had with Pikmin 3, where some stuff is tied to the GamePad. :nono: I noticed you can switch the GamePad screen to the TV (in full, or PiP) but it's still something that could end up being annoying. :hmm:

But anyway, reckon this'll be a purchase for me after all... When is it coming out though? :heh:

If you prefer drawing with the right stick, you can do that on the Gamepad as well.

I'm not going to play any more of it as I don't want to spoil myself or it too much.
The demo (despite being quite generous) is blatantly just a tiny section of the overall game, really don't think playing it through to the end/several times is going to spoil much at all.

Hell, that trailer they showed at the end of the ND spoiled loads more! :o

If you prefer drawing with the right stick, you can do that on the Gamepad as well.
Yeah I know, but the Pro Controller is so much more comfortable for me, I've really fallen in love with it.

It's also my main PC gaming controller now too. :cool:

Second play of the demo was a lot more fun, ranked higher too. The dodge is pretty useful for STYLISH FIGHTING.

Think I like Wonder Sword the most so far, just feels so good to obliterate anything with so much range.

Played the Story mode twice through, and Mission mode 5 times through with the little one, and this was an instant love thing for me. The controls, the combo-ing, the relentless action, then puzzle, back to action, all intuitive and engaging. This is obviously a tiny proportion of the full game, and it just doesn't let up, anyone find secret missions? Found one after Mission 9, where you can continue South to follow the game into Mission 10 or head back North for another round with a few enemies.

Didn't realise the game slows to a crawl when you're drawing shapes. I've been rushing to draw them and messing up a lot. Thanks, Kamiya!

The demo (despite being quite generous) is blatantly just a tiny section of the overall game, really don't think playing it through to the end/several times is going to spoil much at all.

Hell, that trailer they showed at the end of the ND spoiled loads more! :o

Well, it's more do with spoiling the mechanics, too. If I get into it too much and play it too often, then it'll lose that wow factor when I do actually purchase it.

Game is class, though. Very bright and colourful, action-packed and just generally charming. Can't wait. Not quite sure when this made the jump from "it's alright" to "must-buy". :D

Definitely a must buy!! Ive been wanting to play the demo again all weekend!!

Anyone who has downloaded the demo - is offscreen play supported in the demo? I am in holiday and in the unusual position of not having a good enough tv for the wii u but a pretty good Internet connection to actually download it.

Anyone who has downloaded the demo - is offscreen play supported in the demo? I am in holiday and in the unusual position of not having a good enough tv for the wii u but a pretty good Internet connection to actually download it.

99% sure it is, I believe you just press - to go into Off-TV Mode. Someone else might want to confirm.

99% sure it is, I believe you just press - to go into Off-TV Mode. Someone else might want to confirm.

Yeah it does.

Press Minus (-) at the title screen to go to Off-TV mode... it'll even say that on the GamePad when at the title screen.

I was actually testing the Off-TV mode last night as I was wondering what would happen during that little puzzle that uses both TV and GamePad screens if you were playing on the GP.

When you get to that point in Off-TV mode you can just press - to cycle back and forth between the two view points or you can get a Picture-In-Picture.

Incidently while playing in Off-TV you can't use touch controls to draw Untie Morph shapes you have to use the Right Stick. I found when using the stick I was oddly trying to then press ZR to use the Morph instead of A after drawing it.... weird

Does anyone know if the story mode has multiplayer co-op or is it just the Wonderful Missions mode?

There's been so many positive impressions from you guys since the release of the demo that it has almost felt inevitable that someone will get around to playing it and not be quite so enthusiastic about The Wonderful 101..

As probably expected, that someone is me :hmm: I finally had some time with the demo this morning and despite some of the interesting variety with the whole 'unite' thing, I didn't feel like I was enjoying myself while I was playing it. Is there something wrong with me? ::shrug: