NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Wonderful 101

Indeed. Since Audrey left, they've become overly harsh on Nintendo stuff again.

Rich has left too.

"Is The Wonderful 101 a pretty waste on Wii U?

The Wonderful 101 is a a cleverly-produced game exclusive to Wii U. VG247′s Dave Cook plays Platinum’s final code and ponders if it deserves to go beyond Nintendo’s borders."

The reviewer then defending himself on Twitter saying exclusive games are good, just that this would sell more if multiplatform. Essentially, exclusives are good, but not if they're on a Nintendo console.

The reviewer then defending himself on Twitter saying exclusive games are good, just that this would sell more if multiplatform. Essentially, exclusives are good, but not if it restricts them from receiving decent exposure.

FTFY. I think a little less of the persecution complex would do wonders for objectivity.

There's a demo for this already out there, which most of us who have Wii Us have tried out to begin with. It is frantic, but it is meant to be that way. It's quirky, frantic, a beautiful mess to look at. I didn't have any problem with the control scheme after more than a few minutes playing it and I'm sure it'll be the same in the final product.

Mind blown that people still read/care about IGN.

Keza annoys me :p

@Serebii I think Ducktales was marked down due to unresponsive controls [not controls in general] leading to unfair deaths... however that's since been patched (on PC at least I believe).

Mind blown that people still read/care about IGN.

Pretty much my thoughts.

The reviewer then defending himself on Twitter saying exclusive games are good, just that this would sell more if multiplatform. Essentially, exclusives are good, but not if they're on a Nintendo console.

Well I've found another reviewer to ignore.

I still remember that reviewer for Skyward Sword who rubbished it then went on about how he was the only 'true reviewer' left and it was his duty to tell the masses the 'truth'.

Only on the internet can idiots get significant air time.

Game with unconventional control scheme gets lambasted for having an unconventional control scheme by reviewers? Shocking!

It's definitely a very valid point though. Imagine if we never evolved from joysticks and you were trying to play smash bros with one or something! New control schemes need to work and be appropriate, if they aren't it's very valid and worthy to be reported as such.

Guys. Shut up:

FQ4Drvv.jpg

Downloading my review copy now. I always thought this game would be better on the Wonderswan so I hope you guys aren't expecting over a 5/10.

iB0rLxI.jpg

It's definitely a very valid point though. Imagine if we never evolved from joysticks and you were trying to play smash bros with one or something! New control schemes need to work and be appropriate, if they aren't it's very valid and worthy to be reported as such.

It may have been a terrible way to put it, but there's still a valid point if the controls are tricky and take a while to learn. It's also worth them mentioning it so you're aware that it can take a while to get used to it (so you don't give up before the point where they make sense).

No idea. Their two-man Nintendo team is no longer. Although I really miss Audrey :( she was the main reason why I still visited IGN from time to time.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/bullseye2/2013/08/16/goodbye-ign/

Audrey was awesome but she was a terrible professional... the woman was completely biased!!

Another thing that concerns me is that reviewers are doing reviews based upon the Wii U's state, not upon the game itself. So often I see "Not what the Wii U needs" and "Should have been made with a conventional controller", but this is a matter for discussion elsewhere

I think "should have been made with a conventional controller" is a valid criticism as it has nothing to do with Wii U's state. That said, I do love the gamepad so it's quite irrelevant to me.

Audrey was awesome but she was a terrible professional... the woman was completely biased!!

Completely agree. Rich was great though, Nintendo 'team' has taken a big hit recently :(

God it's so satisfying to play. Definitely benefited from good practice on the demo though. Would recommend people hone their skills there beforehand. I'm still not good enough to get the platinum trophies though. On Easy mode!

I'd love to get to the bits with 'unconventional controls' though. Unless some people are just not equipped with the correct information? You play it with buttons and analogue sticks...

Urgh IGN. I still haven't forgiven them for being dicks to me years ago :heh:

And yeah, scores are whack. I know we use them, but its only out of convention. Quite often they can be misleading.

God it's so satisfying to play.

I read that as "God is so satisfying to play"...

Urgh IGN. I still haven't forgiven them for being dicks to me years ago :heh:

There's a story here...do tell!

Posted about Beyond Good and Evil 2 (presumably as a rumour, but maybe not, I forget) and they ripped into it in a very immature way. It turned out true(ish? is it dead again?) but obviously was many years early :heh: It's not that they were pointing out I was wrong, but the way they went about it that made them sound like they did it with relish.

Of course, that was back when they had some semblance of relevance.

I've played this for about an hour or an hour and a half so far (just a review disc on loan for a week). Glad I chose easy mode, as I'm not that great at it! Lots of fun, and super colourful - great start!

My copy from ShopTo has shipped! :D

God it's so satisfying to play. Definitely benefited from good practice on the demo though. Would recommend people hone their skills there beforehand.

I was planning on skipping the demo and just playing the actual game so it's interesting that you'd recommend playing the demo first?