NEurope
darksnowman

NEW! Super Mario Bros. U

It's clear to see that despite a few grumbles NSMB is very popular. The series has sold around 56 million units across 2 titles.

Nintendo are launching a new console, they're going all out to launch it with the most commercially successful titles they can.

On home consoles we've only had a single 2D Mario game since the SNES, I love 2D Mario games, I'll be getting this at launch!

That's it exactly. No series in the history of video gaming (not even Pokémon) has reached those heights with just 2 games

That's it exactly. No series in the history of video gaming (not even Pokémon) has reached those heights with just 2 games

Quite sad really, especially considering the time and effort put in to the Galaxy games compared to these. I'm not saying that NSMB games are bad, I enjoyed both of them, i'm just saying that the Galaxy games are far superior and really deserve the lions share of the sales.

This industry. ::shrug:

It's not just tho industry, it's all industries - the general public are frigging idiots thats why. Look at the most popular music, the most popular films, the most popular TV... The gams industry hasn't sunk to all those lows yet, but it's getting there.

Although I prefer the Galaxy games I think its perfectly understandable that the NSMB games are more popular. They are a lot easier to get into to for pretty much anyone of any age.

Quite sad really, especially considering the time and effort put in to the Galaxy games compared to these. I'm not saying that NSMB games are bad, I enjoyed both of them, i'm just saying that the Galaxy games are far superior and really deserve the lions share of the sales.

This industry. ::shrug:

Tha Galaxy games are the two most critically acclaimed games this generation and second only to Ocarina of Time in the all time rankings. They have sold well, but nowhere near as well as NSMB which is far more accessible to the masses.

The more Nintendo moved away from it's accessible 2D platformers the more its console sales declined.

Nintendo are just bringing out its biggest guns for this launch - namely NSMB and Wii Fit. The only game franchises that are arguably that big are Mario Kart and Wii Sports.

Nintendo knows what has sold well, and they know what has shifted systems, they just want the WiiU launch to get the console off to a flying start.

I would love to have seen an amazing new HD Metroid title done in first person by Retro with online Hunters style PVP death matches. Sadly that kind of game wouldn't have had anywhere near the same amount of traction with the consumer.

The NSMB games are also likely incredibly cheap to make - the two games are likely a result of the disappointed shareholders.

Which is a shame for me, as I disliked NSMB and hated NSMB Wii.

I just wish they would take "New" out of the title.

You can still buy "New Super Mario Bros." for the DS, but it's 6 years old.

You can still buy "New Super Mario Bros." for the DS, but it's 6 years old.

Just like you can buy a Brand New album that is over 10 years old.

Right, except that in this case they really put in "New" to signify that there was something New within.

Which there was.

But now there isn't.

You know I wouldn't mind these games so much if it actually looked like they put any real effort into the design of them.

They could be giving us something beautiful like Wario Land Shake Dimension, something beautifully drawn and animated to make it look like a cartoon in motion or anything to really push 2D HD visuals and push the genre playplay wise.

... you know, like Rayman Legends is doing!

But no, we get recycled looking worlds from every other Mario game, bland lifeless/empty levels, 'New' in the title when that literally couldn't be further from the truth, and two toads that look the same.

Edited by Retro_Link

Right, except that in this case they really put in "New" to signify that there was something New within.

Which there was.

But now there isn't.

I think you misunderstand, these games are called 'New Super Mario Bros', sort of like The Next Generation, for 2D Mario games. It's a series of games

^ That's kind of how I always saw them too but it's still undeniable that it can seem a little misleading...

Regardless, I'm still very much liking the look of this even though I'm not completely 'wild' about certain aspects... namely the nameless Toads, playing as your Mii and the general feeling of 'this has been done before but much better' but still... it is Mario Bros in HD essentially though I must say I'd probably have been happier with 'Super Mario World 3' or even a HD remake but, yeah... I'll leave it there I think. :indeed:

[/somepeoplewillneverbesatisfied] :laughing:

I think you misunderstand, these games are called 'New Super Mario Bros', sort of like The Next Generation, for 2D Mario games. It's a series of games
It's not a misunderstanding, I see exactly what they're trying to do, I just think it sucks...

I hope we see the return of the key/keyhole from Super Mario World. Yeah right, the best we'll get is identical looking and acting warp canons from NSMBWii

My take on this is that there are two types of Mario - fixed-plane and 3D. Whether the fixed-plane games are 2D or 2.5D, they are far more accessible to most people than the 3D games. Take Super Mario 3D Land. Whilst a lot of the levels are left-to-right, it is not fixed-plane. It is a fully 3D game. As such, I know a lot of people found it extremely difficult. I'm not saying Nintendo shouldn't make 3D Mario, but it does make sense to bash out a 2D or 2.5D game first for each console, to help the install base.

Personally, I'd like 3D Mario to go back to being more exploration-based. EAD Tokyo's three Mario games are extremely difficult and very good games in their own right, but I think they all suffered slightly from being made very accessible (not easy, just accessible). None of them have dual analogue or an interesting hub world to explore. I might be in the minority with this but I think Super Mario Sunshine is the best 3D Mario game as the dual analogue let me nudge the C-stick and keep the camera behind Mario at all times. The gorgeous hub world and zones were all a pleasure to explore. Thirdly, and it might be just me, but I preferred that fully completing the game meant getting all 120 Stars/Shine Sprites, rather than "get to the exit" challenges like "The Perfect Run".

I don't understand this 2.5D thing, all the New Super Mario Bros games are 2D. The character models might be 3D but the game is played in two planes.

I understand 2.5D as a mix of 2D and 3D visuals. 3D visuals on a 2D plain like Kirby 64/Wii, and NSMB etc... and generally, IMO not a nice style.

I've just started Rayman Origins. Wow. Its got everything. Charm, beautiful graphics, lovely art style, easy to pick up, great gameplay, good humour and it works really well in co-op play. Had a hard time putting it down yesterday.

As much as I like New Super Mario Bros Wii, this tops it. It's just a better platformer and Ubisoft need to be praised for re-inventing the series. Nintendo may be selling really high numbers of New Mario, but it's suddenly becoming very stale. I don't see how they can justify putting almost the same identical game on two different systems at the same time. It's not the Nintendo way. Or, at least, it shouldn't be.

I understand 2.5D as a mix of 2D and 3D visuals. 3D visuals on a 2D plain like Kirby 64/Wii, and NSMB etc... and generally, IMO not a nice style.

What's wrong with the Kirby 64 graphics?

Also, from a few Donkey Kong games, Smash Bros, Sonic Generations and a fair few XBLA games, there are plenty of good examples.

They could be giving us something beautiful like Wario Land Shake Dimension, something beautifully drawn and animated to make it look like a cartoon in motion or anything to really push 2D HD visuals and push the genre playplay wise.

... you know, like Rayman Legends is doing!

Funny you should say this considering Rayman Legends is a 2.5D game by your own definition.

And the game owes some of it's coolest effects to that. The dragons flying smoothly in and out of the image works this well thanks to the fact that the dragons are 3D models, which are far more flexible to animate. Some other enemies (Large blob-like things with eyes) are also definitely 3D, although I don't understand how they decided which to render in 3D and which to do in 2D.

It's really all about style, not 2,5D vs. 2D.

Edited by Burny

I don't understand this 2.5D thing, all the New Super Mario Bros games are 2D. The character models might be 3D but the game is played in two planes.

2D = fixed plane + sprites

2.5D = fixed plane + polygons

3D = 360-degree movement + polygons

There is no term for 3D games using sprites, but then again no one would make one. :heh:

As for 2D vs 2.5D, personally I think 2D is better as it feels crisper and more responsive. Polygons have always felt a bit "floaty". However, there's no doubt the important aspect with regards to accessibility is the fixed plane.

There is no term for 3D games using sprites, but then again no one would make one. :heh:

28-narrowstreet.png

Oh really? :p

2.5D = fixed plane + polygons

I disagree with that personally, but oh well. It's still a two dimensional game, with two planes of movement

fez_000.jpg

(Although FeZ is a 2D 2D-3D game...2.75D?)

Funny you should say this considering Rayman Legends is a 2.5D game by your own definition.

And the game owes some of it's coolest effects to that. The dragons flying smoothly in and out of the image works this well thanks to the fact that the dragons are 3D models, which are far more flexible to animate. Some other enemies (Large blob-like things with eyes) are also definitely 3D, although I don't understand how they decided which to render in 3D and which to do in 2D.

It's really all about style, not 2,5D vs. 2D.

Sometimes it just sound like you want to argue.

The dragons in Rayman have a beutifully hand drawn animated style and look nothing like the shiny 3D models and foreground elements like blocks etc... that you find in the likes of New Super Mario Bros.