NEurope
darksnowman

NEW! Super Mario Bros. U

I don't believe we'll ever see a Mario level creator

Indeed... unless you count the amazing level creators in the Mario vs Donkey Kong games.

True enough

Anyway, some returning things have been confirmed by Game Informer. Spoilertagging them

nsmbu-gameinformer-2.png

Torpedo Ted from Super Mario World appears

nsmbu-gameinformer-8.png

Although expected, we never really got confirmation, outside of one bit of art, that standard Yoshi was in this game. Now we do. Seems Yoshi has a fruit meter too...

Edited by Serebii

Although expected, we never got confirmation that standard Yoshi was in this game. Now we do. Seems Yoshi has a fruit meter too...

It looks like he has a health meter to me.

..where is this health meter? Am I just blind and not able to see it in that picture..? ::shrug:

Seems Yoshi has a fruit meter too...

Those are the holes where the Montey Moles just jumped out off?

Comedy Gold. Thanks guys :grin:

I'm still not taken by this. Perhaps its the blandness of NSMB2 or perhaps I'm all NSMB'd out but nothing I have seen so far screams "BUY". I'll probably pick it up, as I did with NSMB2 but, although I am sure it'll be fun, I'm expecting another generic, by-the-numbers platformer lacking in any creativity.

Comedy Gold. Thanks guys :grin:

I'm still not taken by this. Perhaps its the blandness of NSMB2 or perhaps I'm all NSMB'd out but nothing I have seen so far screams "BUY". I'll probably pick it up, as I did with NSMB2 but, although I am sure it'll be fun, I'm expecting another generic, by-the-numbers platformer lacking in any creativity.

And what a way to undo the spoiler tags in one post! :indeed:

But yeah, I'm not seeing what you guys are on about either?!

Edited by Retro_Link

And what a way to undo the spoiler tags in one post! :indeed:

But yeah, I'm not seeing what you guys are on about either?!

My bad. I posted the wrong picture

nsmbu-gameinformer-7.png

There's still something up with this New Super Mario Bros style that really bugs me. The 2.5D just doesn't look right.

[in my opinion atleast] You can take any screenshot from Donkey Kong Country Returns (now a 'last generation' game) and it looks alot better than that which can be found in this...

zfNbtW-hnLOvHSzRc6hD5qXxTEfDC9lx.jpg

DK-Country-Returns-007.jpg

donkey-kong-country-returns-20101119092730688-000.jpg

dk2.jpg

The layers just blend far better and 3D objects don't stick out so much.

Where as in that Yoshi Fruit Screenshot for example, everything looks like a bit of a mish mash/cut and paste of styles... the fruit plant, the grass texture, the pipe, even MarioYoshi... nothing seems to quite gel together.

Maybe Nintendo need to start utilising the foreground more aswell?

Edited by Retro_Link

Retro_Link, you are my hero. Very well said, I totally agree about the look of the game. Things like the 3D warp pipes look horrible against the 2D background

I like what I'm hearing about the gameplay mechanics and it being one large map with some seemingly interesting worlds, but this is the only screenshot that has impressed me:

7.jpg

Edited by Ronnie

Yep that's the only screen that has impressed me aswell; and also I think maybe it's because of the more unified screens... If you try covering up that pipe and grass layer at the bottom it looks better still.

Also comparing the character models of DK with Diddy on his back, to the one of Yoshi with Mario on his back is like night and day, not only in detail (as DK has the advantage of fur textures), but also in terms of animation and personality!

Edited by Retro_Link

Also comparing the character models of DK with Diddy on his back, to the one of Yoshi with Mario on his back is like night and day, not only in detail (as DK has the advantage of fur textures), but also in terms of animation and personality!

This.

I still can't understand Nintendo's reluctance to give Mario more personality, use the Smash Bros model with denim dungarees and Yoshi a kind of bubble wrap texture, give Mario hundreds of animation routines, masses of lines of dialogue and differing 'woops' from the awesome Martinet and you're getting somewhere close to an early 2000's game.

Here's a few more details from Game Informer.

- Three Yoshi variations

- Pink Yoshi: inflated with a GamePad/Wiimote shake

- This can take Mario even higher than the flying suit can

- Pink Yoshis don’t help in horizontal movement

- Large surface area useful for collecting a bunch of airborne coins

- Gold Yoshi: shake the controller to light up the immediate area

- Also stuns nearby enemies

- Gold Yoshis show up in the Fire Snake Caverns

- Blue Yoshi: can shoot bubbles

- Can ride the adult version of Yoshi in numerous levels

- Yoshi can still eat breaks

- Collect five to fill a meter

- This rewards Yoshi’s rider with a power-up

- Camera pans out a bit in co-op

- This helps you see hidden star coins and pipes that you normally wouldn’t come across in single-player

- Boost Mode: Place up to four floating platforms at a time

- Use the GamePad touch screen in Boost Mode to pop friends out of bubbles, stun enemies, make it easier to reach the flagpole, manipulate environmental objects, swat Paratroopas

- Turn on Boost Mode by powering up the GamePad – that’s it

- Players will go through pre-selected packs of levels in Boost Rush Mode

- Collecting coins makes the auto-scroll faster

- Limited amount of lives given at the start of each pack

- Dying doesn’t reset the clock

- Players will go through pre-selected packs of levels in Boost Rush Mode

I smell post-release DLC levels!

Fire Snake Caverns

Surely not! Will we actually see some invention and originality in the world design? Not the predictably boring as ****: Fields > Desert > Tropical > Snow > Forest > Mountain > Lava progression we've been seeing for years?

So I was beginning to think I might actually get this game... my first NSMB game... and decided to watch the E3 trailer to remind myself of it. However sadly it just reminded me why I won't be buying this game.... It just completely fails to convince me on every level.

Think I've let the news updates these last few days, and the upcoming press conference over excite me! *shakes fist... you won't get me like this Nintendo :p*

*goes and watched a DKCR Trailer to restore my faith*

I really hope a lot of those visuals are just unfinished and rushed for the trailer. A few of them look like they may as well have been upscaled from the 3DS game.

Does look a better game than NSMBW though, with a bit more originality. Hopefully there'll be a great new trailer on Thursday

Yeah, that trailer is quite boring. They should show some of the super-fast precision jumping the game is bound to have.

This game has looked promising so far but sadly we'll be stuck with the same four characters: Mario, Luigi, Toad and, erm, Toad.

But this time we get HD Mii's!

http://www.n-europe.com/news/new-super-mario-bros-u-playable-characters

Tezuka:

"We did consider that when we looked at which characters we would use. We really came down on the side of using Mii characters rather than some of the characters you had mentioned. Through the technology of HD, you're going to see more expression and emotion on the Mii character faces. Of course, we're going to continue making Mario games, so you can maybe look forward to some of the things you were asking about in the future."

I'll never understand Nintendo's obsession with Miis.

But I never understand Nintendo, period, so...