NEurope
darksnowman

NEW! Super Mario Bros. U

So I was beginning to think I might actually get this game... my first NSMB game... and decided to watch the E3 trailer to remind myself of it. However sadly it just reminded me why I won't be buying this game.... It just completely fails to convince me on every level.

Think I've let the news updates these last few days, and the upcoming press conference over excite me! *shakes fist... you won't get me like this Nintendo :p*

*goes and watched a DKCR Trailer to restore my faith*

The biggest issue with that trailer is the offensively bland music bringing everything down alongside it. Mute the sound from the video and play this instead at the same time.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

It makes it seem so much better.

It makes it seem a little better I'll give you that.

The New Super Mario Bros main theme is utterly terrible, how Nintendo came up with it after the likes of the music you posted from SMW I'll never know, but it really does seem to be here to stay!

Though the music really is just one of many complaints I have with this game!

I'd love Nintendo to prove me wrong, but I haven't got a clue how they'd manage it given the NSMB series as a whole.

I think the NSMB theme is brilliant, but it being used in every game...not so much.

It makes it seem a little better I'll give you that.

The New Super Mario Bros main theme is utterly terrible, how Nintendo came up with it after the likes of the music you posted from SMW I'll never know, but it really does seem to be here to stay!

Though the music really is just one of many complaints I have with this game!

I'd love Nintendo to prove me wrong, but I haven't got a clue how they'd manage it given the NSMB series as a whole.

I find the music a bigger turnoff than the graphics now. I've almost accepted the ultra conservative (read: boring) graphics, though this one looks like a little step above the the other 3, but there is just no defending the music on any level. I'm not a fan of the gameplay either but that was never helped by lacklustre level design and shoddy presentation.

They produced great tracks for the all the 8 and 16-bit Mario games as well as all the 3D ones too so the talent is still at Nintendo... it's just they seem to be keeping it well away from this particularly series.

Okay, that's actually sold it a little better for me now. The challenges sound like a great idea! And boost mode looks incredible. WAY better than coin rush mode!

I keep thinking though, couldn't Nintendo have gone with something a bit more creative, or at least 'Mario' when it comes to those GamePad platforms? Or am I missing something Mario related with the Playing Card designs? #Generic

It all looks amazing. I'm surprised that they're finally dumping the main NSMB theme song though!

This looks amazing. It's like Super Mario World in HD. I will be picking this up at launch. I think it could well be the best NSMB game to date.

THAT level looks great, but there's plenty more that look lazy and rehashed. Wouldn't be surprised if they used the exact same Castle theme they've had in the last two NSMBs, as one example.

I do LOVE the SMB2 jingle at 0:24 though, that was nice :)

I love how they've got an inter-connected map again, a la Super Mario World... but couldn't they have put in a bit more effort in designing it?

ifQTaBvdFreSP.jpg

They'd struggle to make that any uglier! As lazy as the rest of the game

Can someone explain to me why this game looks dull and boring? I'm serious about that. I mean what is it that the ones that don't like the look of it really want? To me this game looks clean, bright and fun. It's not having a go or anything, I am just curious that's all :D

Can someone explain to me why this game looks dull and boring? I'm serious about that. I mean what is it that the ones that don't like the look of it really want? To me this game looks clean, bright and fun. It's not having a go or anything, I am just curious that's all :D

I totally agree (and have run out of 'thanks' so am quoting). The game looks bright, fun and full of classic Mario platforming. As I've said elsewhere this is only the 7th home console 2D Mario (over 8 generations and counting Yoshi's Story on the SNES).

I think it looks amazing and the interconnected world looks brilliant. I also like the idea of boost rush mode. Plus the idea of building blocks from the pad in co-op to help friends is inspired. On top of that there's the new challenge mode.

On top of that the Miiverse inclusion so you can share all your achievements with your friends is completely new. Looks wonderful.

Nintendo have perfected the 2D Mario game, I don't see why people want to change this formula.

Quality off-screen 1080p from NWR. Can't say this was on my radar, but think it is now. Won't be day one because there's too many other games to get first for me.

I hate the fucking miis waving at you in the background.... ARGH!!! IT'S NOT MARIO!?!?!?!?!?

Also, for me the boost mode doesn't go fast enough, I want it to be insane by the end... Not just moderately fast.

Personally I've never said the game looks dull and boring, or not bright and fun... but I somewhat expressed my problems with the graphics on the previous page.

Overall I just think it looks lazy... which doesn't mean it won't be fun.

The latest thing that confirmed this to me is the Intro cutscene for example. It just doesn't look good! It's like something you'd expect from a Gamecube launch game. Compare it to the effort put into the Intro of Mario Tennis on the Gamecube!... or Mario Galaxy!

Even Mario Galaxy 2's intro which was also side-scrolling at least had some visual effort put into it.

In contrast this one just looks dated, which is just a bit of a shame for Mario's HD launch!

Edited by Retro_Link

I think that boost rush mode looks amazing! I can't wait to give that a go. I hope the Miis are just in this mode and not the main game. However it would be cool if they're from your friends list and are Miis of player who already have times on those courses. That'd be sweet!

This had better be a budget release.

No way this is worth more than 30 Euro.

When has a Main entry Mario game ever been a budget release. You'd be lucky to even see a price drop! Not gonna happen.

The ammount of sales this game will generate alone, Nintendo can charge full on retail, storm to the top of the sales charts and take a swim in their cash filled swimming pool! :p

Edited by Retro_Link