NEurope
Murr

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Yeah the problem with this is the characters don't have that same charm and feeling of Unity all Nintendo characters seem to share no matter what game they're from. You could expect them to be brawling it out... this just doesn't work in the same way.

Damn it even has an identicle '3,2,1' voiceover guy.

Edited by Retro_Link

It's already been pointed out, so I'm just reposting part of what was said earlier. In Brawl, the inclusion of Snake was pretty odd. But, he was playable and it seemed to work on some level.

The characters shown in this just seem like a mixed bag. They're not really "Sony" characters in the sense that Mario, Luigi, Link, Samus, DK, Pit are all Nintendo characters. The charm isn't there. Who honestly wants to fight as a Resistance character, for example?

Resistance fans? :heh:

I've heard there are fans, but I don't think they actually exist. Maybe in the movies.

I'm a Resistance Fan doesn't mean I'd want to play as them in a fighting game though.

This game epitomises exactly what Sony lacks compared to Nintendo. The lack of basically any charm towards any of the characters is pretty depressing.

On the other hand, how many people had any idea who the Ice Climbers, Pit, Roy or Marth were before playing them in Smash Bros.? They're familiar now, sure, but I don't see how they're intrinsically any more 'worthy' than, say, Tombi, Sir Daniel Fortesque or Kat from Gravity Rush.

Sony has a huge range of characters to choose from, especially if they want to draft in those of third-parties that have been synonymous with the brand in the past; Lara Croft, Cloud, Snake, Kazuma Kiryu, Reiko Nagase, anyone from the first three Resident Evils, etc. It doesn't matter if not everyone's going to be familiar with them all, so long as there's obvious headliners to get people on board.

I think people are saying "charm" when what they mean is "nostalgia". And I'm not even necessarily talking in relation to the games where Nintendo's cast first appeared but the original Smash Bros. itself, which came out over 12 years ago when most of this forum would have been at their most impressionable. You didn't buy that game for Ness and you won't buy this one for Radec, but just because characters don't mean anything to you doesn't mean there aren't people out there that care.

Smeone is not going to enjoy this thread in a Sony board and read all this bashing...

I'm sure it'll be fun in the end, but it's so pitiful and shameless I find it a little embarrassing. #preorders

Saw this on GoNintendo. From the office of the developers of it

1335546505955.jpg

Not sure whether to laugh or sigh

For me this is a real shame; where Sony have invested in new content - Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet - they've proved (to me, at least) they deserve praise. Fabulous titles. But here we have Sony acting paranoid and desperate; this and LBP Racing shatter any respect Sony have earned this generation.

Its actually heartbreaking to see. Their developers deserve much more than just ripping off Nintendo with sub standard crap like this. Anyone who expects this to get anything but 'acceptable' reviews is mistaken. Bias journalists kit lap it up, but more well rounded ones will give this an honest 7 at best.

Its pretty indicative of how fucked Sony are.

Anyone who expects this to get anything but 'acceptable' reviews is mistaken. Bias journalists kit lap it up, but more well rounded ones will give this an honest 7 at best.

So despite your never having played the game and at best watched a couple of minutes of footage, any journalists that end up rating it highly — despite the currently positive previews — are biased?

Glad we cleared that one up.

What exactly is wrong with LBP Racing? People bitch about constant FPS games but this gen has what, just Mario Kart and there's nothing else even close. Especially considering LBP Racing is obviously an extension of the LBP mantra of Play Create Share.

Yeah, this is a massive rip off of Smash Bros but honestly, it'd be nice is Nintendo took some liberal inspiration from Microsoft and Sony instead of corking their ears and ignoring how the medium has refined itself.

It's not like Sony haven't done their fair share of left field projects this gen; flower, Journey Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian to name a few and how they heavily support independent devs with their Pub Fund.

. This is a smash rip off. I don't understand how it can kill any joy. It's facts.

I tell you what, you're right. In fact, let's apply this logic across the board. I'm sick of all these threads about the new Call of Duty, and Prey 2 and whatnot, we need to recognise the fact that they're all shameless Doom clones.

Yeah, this is a massive rip off of Smash Bros but honestly, it'd be nice is Nintendo took some liberal inspiration from Microsoft and Sony instead of corking their ears and ignoring how the medium has refined itself.

I don't think that's entirely fair. Nintendo are very much about refining the medium, however they have a very particular perspective on it, namely that video games are toys and family entertainment.

For me that is merely one aspect of games, which is why I find myself gravitating towards Sony these days as they're the platform holder most interested in feeling out and pushing the boundaries. I'm not sure you can really chastise Nintendo for not doing the same, though, as it simply isn't their disposition; it would be like bemoaning Pixar for not making The Road.

So despite your never having played the game and at best watched a couple of minutes of footage, any journalists that end up rating it highly — despite the currently positive previews — are biased?

Glad we cleared that one up.

No, if its genuinely a good game it will get fairly consistent reviews and thats fine, but I sense certain outlets will be bias with reviews - in the same way NOM and Nintendo Power might. Those higher reviews will chirp on that its Smash Bros for Playstation, but that's not a reason for it to be good. I am willing to bet my cake hat this gets Polarised reviews. I am happy to be proved wrong, but there's a vibe to that trailer. I don't think it will sell either.

The problem with these mashes is that they dilute IP, Smash Bros is pretty unique in that most characters have similar design philosophies, Playstation All stars doesn't have that luxury, it looks pretty rediculous. And not a good rediculous.

On the other hand, how many people had any idea who the Ice Climbers, Pit, Roy or Marth were before playing them in Smash Bros.? They're familiar now, sure, but I don't see how they're intrinsically any more 'worthy' than, say, Tombi, Sir Daniel Fortesque or Kat from Gravity Rush.

I think people are saying "charm" when what they mean is "nostalgia".

As you said yourself - many people don't know all the characters in Smash Bros, yet they all work really well. Pit was so successful that he got a new game after 25 years - this is due to the charm that Nintendo characters seem to possess - as in the kind of "cartoony" charm that simply works in a game like this.

As much as I love Nathan Drake, I don't see him working in a game like this (much in the same way that Snake was horribly out of place in Brawl).

What exactly is wrong with LBP Racing? People bitch about constant FPS games but this gen has what, just Mario Kart and there's nothing else even close. Especially considering LBP Racing is obviously an extension of the LBP mantra of Play Create Share.

I think the main "problem" is the confusion of the franchise change. ModNation racers is already the extension of the LBP-mantra of Play Create Share. If LBP Racing was simply ModNation Racers 2 (it is essentially that) then I don't think the complains would exist.

However, since they decided to put Sackboy into ModNation Racers 2 and change the name, the perception of the game as a separate franchise (as opposed to a sequel) creates the illusion of something...bigger (it's hard to explain). I myself was miffed about the whole thing, but now some time has passed (and it was revealed to be made by the ModNation developers) it does make sense.

Back to PlayStation all-stars, I do think that they should focus on the more "cartoony" characters: Jak & Daxter, Retchet & Clank, PaRappa, Sly and (hopefully) Crash and Spyro. They're characters who would work much better in a game like this.

People like Kratos, Twisted Metal Guy and InFamous Dude seem like they would suit the 1-and-1 Street Fighter gameplay style.

Part of the problem I have with this thread is this particular mentality which has cropped up a few times:

"Rip off/looks terrible...but I'll end up buying it anyway."

I believe that you forgo any right to complain about something if you then end up purchasing it anyway. Seems stupid.

Gentlemen,

Someday in the future, we'll get word of a game in which these all-stars will fight against the Smash cast.

And we'll ALL love it!

Part of the problem I have with this thread is this particular mentality which has cropped up a few times:

"Rip off/looks terrible...but I'll end up buying it anyway."

I believe that you forgo any right to complain about something if you then end up purchasing it anyway. Seems stupid.

Agreed. I didn't buy Battlefield 3 because of some reason I now forget (lol) and while I did buy Mass Effect 3 I consciously didn't buy SSX...and while I guess that's not really the same thing I've tried to keep my annoyance at the DLC/Pre-order rubbish down to angry mutterings.

And what does it matter if this is a rip-off if it's actually any good? Like I said, people complance of stuff like CoD and MoH, Killzone, Resistance, etc all being the same but when something that is copy/pasted ad nauseum is pasted everyone clams up and becomes protective.

Hell, I wish someone would rip off Heavy Rain and have it competently written.

For me that is merely one aspect of games, which is why I find myself gravitating towards Sony these days as they're the platform holder most interested in feeling out and pushing the boundaries. I'm not sure you can really chastise Nintendo for not doing the same, though, as it simply isn't their disposition; it would be like bemoaning Pixar for not making The Road.

It's not really like that at all - I'm not talking about thematic/artistic differences, they're just utterly conservative; I feel had the Wii existed 15 years ago they would have made the same Mario Galaxy 15 years ago. I'm talking about stepping outside their bubble of splendid isolation; their online infrastructure's dated, their strategy to indie devs, their dependence on their core IPs (how many big new IPs have they come up with this gen? - Genuine question, I have no idea), their infuriating attitude towards hardware where they release machines unfinished (The 3DS second analogue and I haven't played Skyward Sword because I don't have a Motion+ dongle). They are just amazingly stubborn and I feel it's to the determent of their products.

But apparently a lot of people don't seem to think this so whatevs, I guess.

Edited by Daft

From the perspective of a lapsed Nintendo fanboy though; Mario Galaxy was one of the best games the year it came out. Nintendo occasionally do come out and create something phenomenal, but then they spend the next five years shovelling incremental Mario Party sequels.

Rule of thumb: never buy Nintendo hardware until at least a year after launch.

From the perspective of a lapsed Nintendo fanboy though; Mario Galaxy was one of the best games the year it came out. Nintendo occasionally do come out and create something phenomenal, but then they spend the next five years shovelling incremental Mario Party sequels.

Rule of thumb: never buy Nintendo hardware until at least a year after launch.

Come on, now. There's a 5 year gap between the current and last Mario Party game. You can do better than that, Bard.

It is quite funny how this thread can be turned into a negative thread aimed at Nintendo. :heh:

Come on, now. There's a 5 year gap between the current and last Mario Party game. You can do better than that, Bard.

It is quite funny how this thread can be turned into a negative thread aimed at Nintendo. :heh:

Alright, Flinkerooney, my reference to Mario Party was a placeholder for all the other shit they churn out at a rate that'd give the termite queen a run for her money. The fact that there was a 5 year gap between the last two Mario Party games does nothing to assuage the ultimately well founded assumption that neither game should actually be played, ever.

Also, I find @Aimless' comparison of Nintendo to Pixar offensive, because Pixar aren't a giant pacifier for manbabies.

Alright, Flinkerooney, my reference to Mario Party was a placeholder for all the other shit they churn out at a rate that'd give the termite queen a run for her money. The fact that there was a 5 year gap between the last two Mario Party games does nothing to assuage the ultimately well founded assumption that neither game should actually be played, ever.

Also, I find @Aimless' comparison of Nintendo to Pixar offensive, because Pixar aren't a giant pacifier for manbabies.

Like what? Honestly, they're nowhere near as bad as you're making out. We get the mandatory Mario Kart per console/handheld, but I don't think they really go beyond that. They were worse in the past.