NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Dishonored

While I don't agree with Dog-amoto that the game is ugly as sin, it does look pretty dated visually. The design and gameplay mostly make up for it, though.

It looks a bit cartoonish in some places, based on the videos I've seen. Isn't it just that people complain about? That the textures aren't crispy and sharp.

I don't care, though. Xenoblade wasn't exactly pretty to look at when compared to other games this generation (it was incredibly beautiful taking the Wii's power into consideration, though) but it played like a dream so you forgot about it pretty quickly. I bet this will be the same.

When I get around to playing it I will most definitely go the stealth-route. I suck at quick gunfire duels and such. It's also meant to be more rewarding to do it that way, as with Deus Ex. Might go the violent path on a second playthrough as there are achievements for killing people also. And I do want those.

I don't like the look of this and I can understand why people may think it's ugly. Resolution-wise it seems fine, but the art style and colour palette doesn't take my fancy.

It would seem i have 2 "Arcane Assassin Pack" codes for the 360. Anyone fancy the spare one, free of charge

I personally like the style of the graphics and the character models are good. It's literally just the textures that vary from decent to blocky and ugly.

The game is fantastic though, and the graphics should not be the deciding factor.

It would seem i have 2 "Arcane Assassin Pack" codes for the 360. Anyone fancy the spare one, free of charge

I wouldn't mind if it's going spare still - if not then never mind - as I intend to pick the game up soon hopefully. :)

It's yours, i'll send the code over.

I'm really enjoying this game

Just completed the first kill, saved the Colonel from his first meeting (swapped the poison in the glass so the guy i had to kill died from poisoning). I can see how it's possible to not kill anyone except your target, but it's more fun to kill many people.

It's possible not to kill anyone period though. I just finished the same bit as you actually and had no kills. According to Jim Sterling the entire game plays as such.

It's yours, i'll send the code over.

Thanks for the code Jimbob :) I'll be purchasing the game soon.

I completely fell in love with the art design of this game. People who say this game is "ugly as sin" or such like are baffling. It has such a strong aesthetic and amazing visual cohesion. The Boyle Ball level genuinely had my mouth agape with its gaudy lights and confetti.

I can understand that people are complaining about the texture resolution, but if that's going to be your sole criteria of a games visual merit, then I think that's really fucking pathetic. The resolution suits it fine; in fact, it gives it a sort of painterly aesthetic.

Just finished it this morning, and I'm very much considering it for game of the year.

No shit. Seriously, my problem with all of those comments is the fact that nobody has really substantiated what they dislike about the visual design. They say "Oh, I don't like the way it looks," and by way of validating this, they spout some crap about resolution, which is beside the point.

There's a difference between disliking something, and describing what you dislike.

In terms of function, the visual design is fantastic, apart from any subjective persuasions you may have. The game actually benefits from the slightly blocky, Valve-esque design because it allows there to be a simplicity in terms of the visual language. You're never confused about where you can go, what you can climb, things you can interact with. At the same time, because of this, it signposts enemy locations and structures super well, denotes all their entry points (rat grates, or the fact that wherever there's a shoal of those predatory fish, you can be sure to find an underwater entrance or path).

Nobody has actually said this, but I'm putting myself into the position of the people who don't like the "cartoony" design, and perhaps what they're getting stuck on is the disparity between the visual design and the thematic aspects. I don't get this either though. Well apart from providing a real functional cohesion in the game, the exaggerated nature of the visuals doesn't seem at all problematic considering how overblown and fantastical the story itself is.

The game is wicked good. Play that shit.

Graphics arn't the be all and end all with games, i understand people have different opinions on what they like visually. You can't deny the gameplay though, this is one fine game with many ways of completing the mission(s). It was well worth taking a plunge on purchase for this title last weekend.

Dishonored - 9/10

What a damn fine game. The art direction is fantastic but because of that the average quality of the visuals some times stand out more than it should, with a few more quid behind it it could of been stunning on so many levels.

The stealth gameplay is damn fine and works well for the most part. Sometimes I was thinking it would be better in third person as some of the time I wouldnt really know if I was hidden well enough.

I love the choices you have, each level is like a mini sandbox providing various routes and way to complete levels. There is a basic level up system which allows you to upgrade your powers which range from blinking (teleporting) to summoning rats to eat dead bodies.

A quality title that you should be playing.

No shit. Seriously, my problem with all of those comments is the fact that nobody has really substantiated what they dislike about the visual design. They say "Oh, I don't like the way it looks," and by way of validating this, they spout some crap about resolution, which is beside the point.

There's a difference between disliking something, and describing what you dislike.

Are you reading comments elsewhere? I count one saying that the game is simply ugly and leaving it at that. I myself called it ugly and immediately followed with the aesthetic is good but the textures aren't. Diageo stated that it just doesn't mesh with him, and he didn't mention anything about resolution.

I think you're overblowing this a bit, considering everyone loves the game regardless.

Yeah, calm down dude. I said the game was ugly mainly because of the textures and the pop in that I noticed (seriously, it took 10 seconds till I could make out what a sign said)

Tis an awesome game though. And I do like the art design. Everyone should go out and buy this game right now!

Yeah, the problem is, it wasn't really you guys, I mostly skimmed your comments, but fuck me if the guys on GAF aren't just the most implacable bunch of philistines ever, and I wanted to rant about some of the more extreme opinions about the game.

My only real concern with the game came after completing it, and realising that I couldn't go back and play older levels with the abilities I had unlocked by the end of the game. I know that doing so would undermine the balance of the levels, and the careful tuning of gameplay based on what the developers expected you to be able to do at that point, but still, I would have loved a bloody rampage through the game as a reward for my more considered and reserved play through.

Can't wait for the DLC.

This game is awesome, did Bethesda not have too much to do with this? I only ask because it runs really well, without bugs or serious slowdown.

This is probably also the transition for me where I realise with my dualshock wirelessly linked to my PC, which was already hooked up to my HDTV anyway, that there's really no excuse not to PC game. My PS3 fan is almost always on high these days too.

@Sheikah Bethesda published the game, but developed the Elder Scrolls/FO games.

Just finished escaping the prison/sewers. I took far too long doing it, and at the end I didn't have a box checked for "undetected" so, in my fury, I redid the game up to that point in about 10 minutes and did it perfectly. I now feel I have a good grasp of both the controls and the game mechanics (so far).

I'm going for no kills/no alerts/no upgrades first run through. Should be... fun?

Lastly, I like the art so far. It immediately made me think it would be a perfect representation of a Discworldian universe -- discovering the Pratchett] label on some tinned goods in-game made me smile.

[MENTION=2487]

I'm going for no kills/no alerts/no upgrades first run through. Should be... fun?

I have heard that the "no upgrades"-run is the least fun and drains the game of some value.

@Sheikah Bethesda published the game' date=' but developed the Elder Scrolls/FO games.

Just finished escaping the prison/sewers. I took [i']far too long[/i] doing it, and at the end I didn't have a box checked for "undetected" so, in my fury, I redid the game up to that point in about 10 minutes and did it perfectly. I now feel I have a good grasp of both the controls and the game mechanics (so far).

Lastly, I like the art so far. It immediately made me think it would be a perfect representation of a Discworldian universe -- discovering the Pratchett] label on some tinned goods in-game made me smile.

I've just done the Golden Fish (or whatever that place is called), did that mission only killing anyone who was going to alert me/saw me. All the others i knocked out and put in the bins that were lovingly placed in the area.

The choice i had in that mission was interesting to say the least

Slackjaw offered me 2 side-missions which i accepted. The first, he wanted some information on his former partner. Which i acquired from the house between the first electro-fence and the 2nd leading to the Golden Fish. After doing this, he offered me one more mission. If i did this, he would take out my 2 targets non-lethally (make them work in their own mines). All i had to do was acquire a password to the vaults, via electro-torture. Which i did, and in the process i found and rescued Emily and took her back to the Assassin Guild (i'm calling it that for some reason)

So far, i'm enjoying this game very much. My choice of play helps my enjoyment even more. I got a few upgrades.

I've just done the Golden Fish (or whatever that place is called), did that mission only killing anyone who was going to alert me/saw me. All the others i knocked out and put in the bins that were lovingly placed in the area.

The choice i had in that mission was interesting to say the least

Slackjaw offered me 2 side-missions which i accepted. The first, he wanted some information on his former partner. Which i acquired from the house between the first electro-fence and the 2nd leading to the Golden Fish. After doing this, he offered me one more mission. If i did this, he would take out my 2 targets non-lethally (make them work in their own mines). All i had to do was acquire a password to the vaults, via electro-torture. Which i did, and in the process i found and rescued Emily and took her back to the Assassin Guild (i'm calling it that for some reason)

So far, i'm enjoying this game very much. My choice of play helps my enjoyment even more. I got a few upgrades.

cat-golden-middle.gif

Up to mission 6 now. The last couple were a walk in the park but this one looks to be quite challenging!

I love the art direction - people complain about poor textures but that's focusing on the smaller picture and missing out on the well-realised imagination the game offers.

Stealth/no kill/no detect/no upgrades = a very, very patient gamer is required. It also means that I'm basically skipping as many 2ndary objectives as possible -- which has, in some cases, made the mission twice as long when I've found that I can't complete the mission properly without doing them.

Just finished my stealth playthrough - 360G~ish popped at once. DAT FEEL.

Didn't realise how many big names were lending their voices to the game; Susan Sarandon, Lena Headey (Sarah Connor, from the TV series), Carrie Fisher, John Slattery (Mad Men), Chloë Grace Moretz (girl from Kick-Ass).. Probably others but I didn't recognise their names in the credits.

And now for a high-chaos, get-everything-upgrade-everything playthrough! Stealthing took a lot of patience but I guess trying to get all upgrades will take a lot of perseverance. Considering I've got no combat experience it's going to be like starting a whole new game.