NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Dishonored

Oh man... Let me see... A conservative guess would be around 12 hours of non-committal gaming (i.e. refreshing facebook chess). The vast majority of the early hours were replaying to fix errors; I had to fully redo the first 2 missions (at least - maybe mission 3 too) as I'd tripped up somewhere. Missions 4/5/6 were straightforward, as was 8, however 7 was much more sweat inducing (for me). Mission 9 starts off tricky but smoothes out.

But you get into the mindset and it's really good fun. Like a 1st-person Metal Gear Solid game (or hitman, I suppose!) and it beomes clear that it's way better (and quicker) to just avoid people altogether rather than try to knock 'em out and hide the bodies.

To reiterate; I think the first few levels I was taking 3 hours to do them frst time then about 20-30 2nd time to get it right. I'm rubbish at games, though.

Also if you are trying for the stealth, do not talk to granny wossername on mission 2. It makes mission 7 next to impossible to do without killing someone.

In terms of game-time, I don't know how many of the collectibles I need for achievements, so I'll be plugging in the hours to make sure I get them all as I go. High Chaos mode is so much more... forgiving. I've saved ONCE so far, about to start mission 3 -- on low chaos I'd probably saved about 100 times by now... >_<

And I'm sure low chaos will be easier once you know the maps well, however I think it may take a while to adjust to the slower pace.

Installing now on my PS3. :)

This game is supposedly pretty amazing, so can't wait to start playing.

Got this for my Birthday, started playing total stealth on Hard. Then I realised I wasn't having fun and started stabbing everyone.

One of my favourite gaming experiences of the year @dr4khon :) Hope you enjoy it!

Well' date=' so far it's awesome :D

the crossbow in the sewers. Can't wait to see how everything will play out with the guys I'm about to meet.

Got this for my Birthday, started playing total stealth on Hard. Then I realised I wasn't having fun and started stabbing everyone.

Playing on very hard, wanting to do stealth and non lethal, but at the first enemy I made a mistake so...fuck that. Now, I'll try to be stealthy as much as I can, but if it's necessary, I'll kill.

IIRC there's no need to play on very hard if you're gunning for trophies, however going for pure stealth/low chaos then ultimately the difficulty shouldn't make much difference... except the enemies seem to be able to spot you from further distances on harder difficulties!

Going for stealth and lethal seems to be the proper way to play it, I hear!

IIRC there's no need to play on very hard if you're gunning for trophies

On my first playthrough of any game I rarely care for trophies. But I always choose the hardest difficulty because I'm hardcore.

badass-meme.jpg

If I enjoy the game a lot' date=' I might go for Platinum.

Edit: I [i']will [/i]go for Platinum. :D Started the first real mission and I'm just exploring/doing sidequests.

Anyone know how to find out whether the German version of DLC is compatible with the UK version of the game?

Edited by drahkon

Oh man, this game is freakin' awesome.

Done mission 3. Always have a 'high' chaos rating because even though I try to be stealthy, I get into fights more than I want. :(

So far, Dishonored sends every game I've played in 2012 into oblivion.

Third post in a row :blank:

Completed the game last night.

The art direction, setting and gameplay blew my mind. Everything in this game was near perfect.

Several little things annoyed me, though.

River Krusts. Why, oh why do these kinds of enemies have to be in the game?

It's personal preference, but a game like dishonored who lives from humanoid enemies should just not contain any other type.

Their existence annoys me.

Same goes for Weepers. Zombies everywhere. Just leave them out.

The 'biggest' flaw with this game is: It's too short.

I read about it beforehand, I thought it's not that bad. But...it came to end end very quickly :(

Oh well, these are minor annoyances and overall it was one of the best games I've every played.

And I will play it again. This time doing a non-lethal and ghost run, but not on very hard...

Edit: I forgot. The story and characters were soooo predictable.

All these little things don't make Dishonored a bad game - the gameplay is just pure awesomeness - but for me it could've been much more.

Edited by drahkon

The river crusts were ridiculous! Too strong. A well-placed grenade does the trick but they weren't utilised very effectively.

The game is very short, I concur! But there is loads of replayability - achievements/trophies push you to try a few variations, and they work a treat!

The world was a modernised Discworld and I found it such a joy to just wander around, eavesdrop, scope out the art. The world was excellently fleshed out and realised, considering the shortness of the game. But one of the surprises of the year (for me).

The game is very short, I concur! But there is loads of replayability - achievements/trophies push you to try a few variations, and they work a treat!

If you're into Trophies (like me :p) then that's a valid point, but I know a lot of people who play games only once and they won't get much time out of Dishonored.

The world was excellently fleshed out and realised, considering the shortness of the game.

As I said, the setting was amazing, and lots of little details/secrets could be found.

This doesn't take away the fact that the story was very predictable, though. But this is the problem of many games...actually of all the games I've played in recent years.

one of the surprises of the year (for me).

Definitely. Overall the positive outweighs the negative. I can only repeat: the gameplay is the most important aspect of a game, and Dishonored nailed it.

Just finished it :D played through on hard (which never felt hard), stealthy and lethal, low chaos. Heck of a lot of fun, really enjoyable abilities to control, especially Blink. In the last couple of levels, especially against the assassins, I loved just blink/assassinating a group of three people in an area.

River Krusts didn't bother me at all. Slow/stop time, cook and throw grenade. Or wait for them to attack, sidestep, pistol shot. They mixed it up a little, and only appeared maybe 4-5 times throughout the second half of the game.

The story, while predictable, was pretty nicely played out. I loved that you didn't start with meaningless tasks but rather launched straight into the first assassination and rescuing Emily.

My only gripe was probably that the design of the last level wasn't so great. The flow was more awkward and ultimately it was very short and easy to traverse once you knew the way. The final fight could be over in a flash like any other and the end of the game was instant, easy and fleshed out only through a narrative cutscene.

I started playing again for the Ghost achievement but it seems like it will be a big pain. I completed the first level thinking I never got seen but didn't get the tick at the end of the level.

I think the first level is supposed to be tricky because it's easy to get spotted without realizing it when you blow open the door and jump into the water below, but I don't think there are any cases like that in any of the other levels.

Supposedly it's also better to just ignore the bird lady (I forget her name - Lady Bird the Bird Lady?), so she doesn't mess things up for you later on.

Granny Rags, yes jayseven said that further up, is that the source of your 'supposedly'? :p

Actually by first level I meant the first proper mission as opposed to the escape from the prison. I'm going to ignore Granny Rags definitely since I don't need any runes etc. (also going for the Mostly Flesh and Steel achievement)

The first level's tricky bit (in terms of being spotted) is right at the end when you dive into the water. If you hear the dischord ring out then you got spotted (you probably knew that already).

It's a different game when you play it this way, and it may take a lot more reloading. Some of the missions are really testing, and I can imagine reverting to the ordinary blink will be frustrating. Also consider avoiding even knocking out the guards - the number of times I had to replay missions because a body was somehow spotted, even though I'd knocked out everyone... was maybe twice but still..!

Even on that bit in the sewers, where you have to attack them? D:

That's not cool.

Remind me of the specific bit? Sleep-darts are your friends, and if you keep a good distance they're typically not very good at spotting you quickly -- I found they do turn to investigate noise but they turn slowly.

The bit where Havelock says "please go into the sewers and sort out these Weepers"

Ah yes that bit -- there's only two (three?) in there, and you can get them with the sleep darts on the crossbow before they spot you. The trickiest mission is the Flooded District. There's a bit where there are no weepers in sight and some wooden planks crossing an archway. What actually happens is that as soon as you break the wooden planks some weepers hanging out up the road next to the archway start heading your way, and won't reach you 'til you're through the archway and about to drop down into the next section. Took me ages to figure out why the fuck I was getting spotted here.

So, just got this for Christmas. Going through it the first time, how do you recommend I play it?