N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda 3DS

Dog-amoto

In terms of Monster Hunter, it makes a big difference, because if that's how the 3G version works, then you are effectively just loading up an individual set piece battle each time, meaning the 3DS powe can be utikised elsewhere, in this case with the visuals. Which tbf do look great, but they are definately a step down from the Wii version.

I don't know what it is you don't understand, but again: there is no difference. The bolded part is exactly what all Zelda games and MH3 on the Wii do with every single area or room. Make the set pieces larger, connect them with loading screens and call them "overworld". You just seem to assume for some reason that these areas have to be small because they're on the 3DS. If you've bothered watching the MH3G trailer above, the areas don't appear to be any smaller than on the Wii.

Kid Icarus for example looks very impressive and has all the scale you'd expect from a Zelda game in terms of boss fights, but the rest of the game has been structured in a linear/on rails way to allow for this.

Except that it hasn't. We've seen at least one "boss fight" where you can move freely on the ground within the current area. As for scale of boss fights, you really should look at that MH3G trailer. The game basically consists only of "boss fights" combined with free movements and there are some XXL monsters, which don't have to hide behind the larger Zelda bosses. And behold: There is lava in Monster Hunter, too!

shinka01_p04_02_l.jpg

And light...

shinka01_p04_03_l.jpg

How did the 3DS manage that?

I really don't know how you get the idea that the Gamecube can do things that the 3DS somehow can't, when 3DS games like MH3G and Resident Evil already go toe to toe with Gamecube games.

If Nintendo wants to make a full 3D Zelda for the 3DS, they can.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best news i've heard all day! i really hope they go with a WW or SKyward Sword sort of style, i honestly can't see why they wouldn't try to emulate that style

the DS zelda controls are now impossible, as fun as they were it was like easy mode zelda

Can't really see them going for anything top down either now, given how it would look in 3D

Looking forward to some more news

uh

anyway, i'd put my money on a new 3D 2D/topdown game. it seems to be the kinda thing Nintendo would do right now. old skool bb

Is that not what they've been doing already with the DS titles? I thought the next ones being full 3D meant a different direction being taken.

I thought the next ones being full 3D meant a different direction being taken.

Who said that it'd be "full" 3D? I don't remember that this was confirmed anywhere.

For all my arguing that a full 3D Zelda with a scale comparable to previous console Zeldas is possible on the 3DS, I wouldn't be so sure that they're going to take this route. Especially with the comments from Iwata Asks in relation to the scope of Mario Galaxy and SM3DL.

Very pleased to hear an original Zelda is on its way before a remake of Majora's Mask. Not that I don't want MM, I just think a brand new game should be the priority. As for a remake of Wind Waker, I tend to think remakes are best when there's clearly a whole generation of improvement upon the original - like Ocarina of Time 3D. This makes MM an ideal candidate... but not yet. ;)

Whether the 3DS could run Wind Waker, I don't know, but I'd rather see it on the Wii U when it could run at 1080p (enhanced Virtual Console) or a true remake on the next handheld.

Don't forget, whether or not the 3DS's RAM and processing is as good as the GameCube's, there is one area it could definitely not match - the resolution. Wind Waker ran at 640 x 480/576i, whereas the 3DS is 800 x 240 (400 x 240). Therefore, despite a high PPI, the 3DS would still be condensing all of WW's detail into a lower resolution.

All his talk about specs is reminding me why I moan on about wanting 2D-only modes. Imagine the Zelda that could be made with those awesome tech specs if it didn't have to run in stereoscopic mode...

Anyway...

Very pleased to hear of a new Zelda, and I echo others' call for the Wind Waker style. When a company gets a style just right (like Nintendo did with WW), I think it deserves to stay. As much as I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (and I did, particularly the latter), my biggest regret with them was that they were a waste of the Wind Waker style (if they were the last ones to use it). Oh, they used some of the same characters, sure, and it looked roughly similar, but there was no way the DS could ever do it justice.

Remember Link's glowing white eyes as he changed the wind at sea. Remember the rolling waves, the moon cycles and the many different colour schemes of the sky and sea, each one matching perfectly. Remember how you could use the Deku Leaf and glide to different bits of different islands. Phantom Hourglass was an OK little game, but Wind Waker 2 it wasn't!

And as @Ronnie rightly says, they were Zelda-Lite. Now don't get me wrong, I liked the touch controls. They worked well for the DS, which had the touchscreen as a big focus and didn't have any analogue sticks at all. But these games left out lots of different things. There were no shield upgrades, no fire or ice arrows... Not that I'm saying every Zelda should be the same, but these things were left out because the game engine couldn't incorporate them.

I was playing Ocarina of Time 3D last night, specifically the boss battle against Twinrova. How enjoyable it was to hold R and use the analogue stick to control my shield and aim the beam at the enemy. That mechanic hasn't been seen since Wind Waker. I just think it's a shame that such brilliant controls were once invented and yet have been left behind. This could return on the 3DS though, and would probably be more comfortable with the Circle Pad Pro.

So, bring on Zelda 3DS. 2D is good and 3D is good, but I think the Phantom Hourglass-like hybrid has had its day.

Grazza you make an excellent set of points there!

I think the wind waker style is best suited to a handheld, although i loved it on the Gamecube i know it got lots of hate because people saw it as something not suited to a home console, but yet the style was universally praised for use on the DS

I can't wait for more details

Grazza you make an excellent set of points there!

I think the wind waker style is best suited to a handheld, although i loved it on the Gamecube i know it got lots of hate because people saw it as something not suited to a home console, but yet the style was universally praised for use on the DS

Thanks dude.

You know, I've come round to agreeing about the Wind Waker style suiting handhelds. I was never that keen in keeping it off home consoles, but considering how awesome the 3DS is, we can at least join the series at Wind Waker level again, and eventually even better (I want layers and layers of cel shading!)

I also think many would agree that Wind Waker is the best ever style for Young Link. Young Link suits handhelds, therefore it all falls into place perfectly. Also, it's not as though I dislike the realistic style or Adult Link. Quite the contrary: the Wii U demo was amazing and the "Twilight Princess" style can just get better and better.

Two best Zelda styles ever, in my opinion: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess trailer from 2004.

Thing is though the DS games were very poor immitations of the Wind Waker style, they didn't do it justice at all.

I'm sure the 3DS could much more faithfully recreate that style.

But a souped up 'next-gen'-HD-wind-waker-visuals Zelda on Wii U would be a thing of beauty!!!! :D

It would be like watching/playing a true animation!

*Though I did love the look of Zelda Wii-U tech demo.*

It seriously makes more sense to do Majora's Mask 3D; pass it over to Grezzo and you have a Zelda game out on 3DS for Christmas 2012. I would honestly rather see Majora's Mask and Wind Waker retooled in 3D before a new title.

I really struggle to see what 3D will really bring to Zelda, other than looking full of jazz.

But hey, any Zelda is fine by me. Except Wand of Gamelon.

I suppose they could slightly alter the Wind Waker style for 3DS to make it a more of a layered look, kinda similar to that of the new Rayman?... actually... the style of the original Wind Waker trailer would look fantastic in 3D!!! :D *picture this trailer on 3DS!*

Either way I think that visual style has great potential on the 3DS.

Wind Waker itself however deserves a Wii 'HD Collection' remake at the very least. I think it would be wasted on the 3DS.

I agree MM should just be handed over to Grezzo, and I'm sure it will be.

Edited by Retro_Link

I love that video and the audible horror from the audience when it turns to Link for the first time.

D'you think there really was a dungeon or two removed from Wind Waker or was that just a myth? Those could always be reinstated.

AS FOR LOZ 3D - I'm liking how Super Mario 3D Land really does use the 3D of the 3DS for puzzles and stuff. Is there anything you can think of that this Zelda could do?

D'you think there really was a dungeon or two removed from Wind Waker or was that just a myth? Those could always be reinstated.

AS FOR LOZ 3D - I'm liking how Super Mario 3D Land really does use the 3D of the 3DS for puzzles and stuff. Is there anything you can think of that this Zelda could do?

I think the lost Wind Waker dungeons are confirmed by Nintendo to be true aren't they? I'm quite sure it's not just a myth.

As for LoZ 3D... I'd like to see a dungeon based on this:

Escher%27s_Relativity.jpg

:laughing:

Whats with all this want for Celda crappy kiddie shit? GAWD!!!!!! I don't want a shitty kiddie game, I want grey!!! lots of it, and also allow me to have walls to cover so I can auto heal myself while I go through armies of enemies wall to wall....lol, truth is, I would like Nintendo to try an even more fresh style of animation to make the Zelda series on the 3DS fresh and different in terms of art.

As for LoZ 3D... I'd like to see a dungeon based on this:

Escher%27s_Relativity.jpg

:laughing:

Forest Temple+? The twisty bits in that used to really confuse me.

Personally, despite being easy, I thought PH was an excellent and worthy addition to the Zelda series. I think it's wasted to not make an MM port with the work already done by Grezzo on OoT, and it'd certainly sell well. Basically I don't get why it has to be one or the other, old OR new, and why they can't just do both. An MM port surely wouldn't take too long to do compared to a brand new game either, so it could be filler whilst we wait for the new one.

Who said that it'd be "full" 3D? I don't remember that this was confirmed anywhere.

For all my arguing that a full 3D Zelda with a scale comparable to previous console Zeldas is possible on the 3DS, I wouldn't be so sure that they're going to take this route. Especially with the comments from Iwata Asks in relation to the scope of Mario Galaxy and SM3DL.

Obviously unconfirmed but fairly sensible to conclude. An overhead view dictates the function of the items and dungeon design. If the next Zelda games are to be closer to console titles than handhelds I should think one of the necessary requirements will be no top down view.

Obviously unconfirmed but fairly sensible to conclude. An overhead view dictates the function of the items and dungeon design. If the next Zelda games are to be closer to console titles than handhelds I should think one of the necessary requirements will be no top down view.

I agree that a "full" 3D game would appear a likely path. Wouldn't even be surprised if they heavily relied on the "Circle Pad Pro" either, now that they have the option. They might even use Zelda as a major title to push the addon.

On the other hand I could also see them trying their best to distinguish the game from the home console titles by going a different route. As SM3DL or Metroid Other M both show, there can just as well be a middle ground between the inherent 2D and 3D designs of a series. Personally I consider that path even more likely, as a "full" 3D title would be immediately comparable to the home console games and would therefore most likely require a "full" 3D Zelda budget and development cycle.

Good news! I think a new Zelda game will finally make me buy a 3DS.

I don't mind which graphical style they use, though I think an old-school top-down Zelda would be a waste of the hardware. Perhaps some top-down minigames/levels could be included as tribute to the old games, but I can see them wanting to increase the scale and "epicness" of Zelda's even further, maybe even a follow up to Skyward Sword.

I do hope they do get round a Majora's Mask remake eventually though, it's my favourite game ever!

But a souped up 'next-gen'-HD-wind-waker-visuals Zelda on Wii U would be a thing of beauty!!!! :D

It would be like watching/playing a true animation!

*Though I did love the look of Zelda Wii-U tech demo.*

I agree. I'd find it really difficult if I had to make the decision. Handhelds should definitely use the Wind Waker style in its entirety. Consoles... well, either style works. I think I'd use Adult Link on consoles though, whetever the shading is like.

Do You think there really was a dungeon or two removed from Wind Waker or was that just a myth? Those could always be reinstated.

Nintendo admits they were planned, but I don't think they agree they were taken out, as such. I'd like to see them though, depending on how detailed the plans were.

I agree that a "full" 3D game would appear a likely path. Wouldn't even be surprised if they heavily relied on the "Circle Pad Pro" either, now that they have the option. They might even use Zelda as a major title to push the addon.

That would be good. A topdown game, in my opinion, should use the d-pad, sprites and the Link to the Past style (and should probably be 3DS Ware). The retail games should be fully 3D and use the Circle Pad Pro.

I'm not very keen on middle grounds. Metroid: Other M was a nice idea but, at the end of the day, not as good as Prime or the pure 2D games. Same could be said for Phantom Hourglass - not as immersive as the 3D games or as satisfying as the 2D ones.