N-Europe

Uhh...why/have hard drives shot up?

Rummy

So, ebuyer had like hard drives going for 60/70 recently, but I've just been looking and now the same drives are like 120!! What the hell. Has something happened? I been waiting constantly for prices to keep falling and it seems maybe I've waited a little too long...:(

Floods in Taiwan have caused major damage to some of the main factories that make them, so there is a major shortage of them. Hence the rise in price.

A similar thing happened to cotton due to the floods in Pakistan over a year ago. The industry still hasn't recovered (so cotton-based materials, like denim, are rather expensive).

Edit: Oh, and expect it to affect the price of laptops/desktops and stuff fairly soon as shipments in the next quarter of the year will be much lower.

Edited by Cube

A similar thing happened to cotton due to the floods in Pakistan over a year ago. The industry still hasn't recovered (so cotton-based materials, like denim, are rather expensive).

Really? Huh I just bought jeans and shirts cheaper than I've found them in a few years.

Really? Huh I just bought jeans and shirts cheaper than I've found them in a few years.

Well, with textiles it's a bit more complicated - stocks can be sitting around for years before they get used up. However, importing new shipments of denim is quite expensive (my company hasn't had any denim in for a few months now because of it).

Ebay doesn't seem to have been hit as hard. You can still get a brand new 1TB for £90-£100.

That's still double what they were a few months back though. And obviously no warranty.

I'd say just use an old HDD for now (if it's an option), and wait for a year. Should have come back down by then.

• 1 month later...
I don't think it will take a year.

Taiwan represents 25% of the worlds HDD manufacturing, so a lot of this price increase is just consumer inflation.

Flooding across parts of Taiwan and Thailand (where around 40% of hard drives are produced) last year caused this price increase. Of course not all Hard drives are manufactured in those countries but it hit the reserves of hard drives and suppliers have had to increased the prices until output can resume back to normal.

Edited by sumo73

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the mini bump but 2TB Internal hard drive for just over ?100. Tis what I bought recently and it's very fast.

Tis a good bump! Are you running it as external or internal? That was the one/line I was eyeing up before the big price rise(think it was about ?70 then?) and it's probably the one I'll end up getting eventually too, waiting atm to fill up what I already have!

Tis a good bump! Are you running it as external or internal? That was the one/line I was eyeing up before the big price rise(think it was about ?70 then?) and it's probably the one I'll end up getting eventually too, waiting atm to fill up what I already have!

Internal. I use it as a secondary/backup drive as windows is installed on my 120gb SSD but man, SATAIII is very very fast. Had an old 500gb SATAII drive and there is a big difference in speed. If you are going to go external, I would suggest an enclosure with 3.0 or eSATA support to reach the speeds this drive is capable of. Haven't tested those speeds myself so I hope im not talking out of my bum.

My PC has a front loading slot for an external drive so I should be fine, it'll mainly be secondary/backup and possibly used for alternative OS if I decide to. I may occasionally stick it in an enclosure for external use(ie backing up other comps) but mainly it'll run in my PC. Good to hear the feedback on it, thanks.

My PC has a front loading slot for an external drive so I should be fine, it'll mainly be secondary/backup and possibly used for alternative OS if I decide to. I may occasionally stick it in an enclosure for external use(ie backing up other comps) but mainly it'll run in my PC. Good to hear the feedback on it, thanks.

That sounds interesting. Is that a feature of your chassis?