N-Europe

Star Wars

Paj!

I think Phantom Menace is the least offensive of the new trilogy. It has a pretty cool pod race scene, Darth Maul and the awesome Dual of Fates music. The rest had nothing except horrendous and now dated CG. Those film made special effects look mundane.

Very this. I just saw them all recently too, and was a little struck at how much worse episode two (especially) was in comparison to Phantom Menace, and even though by the time the third episode was out it had a decent production sheen, where the first two had a pretty ghetto early generation CG aspect to them, it felt pretty soulless.

The original trilogy had some pretty buttfudge moments too, lest we forget. Everything was overly exaggerated and campy, and yet for some reason people remember it as this example of serious space drama where it was more like a fucking a Jim Henson minstrel show.

He's in the Podracer.
Ah yes, there he is... all 2 pixels of the future Lord Vader! :p

No. No scene of the original trilogy was well-acted. Whether that's the actor or the script's fault is up for debate (both). The only one who seemed to try was whoever played Palpatine.
I was talking about Episode III being pretty well acted. The scenes between Anakin/ObiWan/Padme had decent emotion behind them.

Am I the only one who thinks the new trilogy are really underrated? I watched all 6 films back to back recently as my girlfriend has never seen them.

Phantom Menace. The weakest of the prequels, but the pod race and 3 way battle are two of the greatest scenes in any star wars films (or any film).

Attack of the Clones. This is the one that surprised me the most. I really liked it. Well, except the love story anyway. The last 30 minutes for me are amazing!

Revenge of the Sith. My second favourite star wars film. Some of the logic and the turn of his descent is a little poor, but other than that I love it all. Order 66 montage is stunning! I love that he force chokes a pregnant Amidala (though he does weaken it by her dying of a broken heart rather than said force choke!)

A New Hope. I've seen this so many times. Sometimes I actually get bored watching it. It's so tight, structurally, but it makes it a little mechanical. It is amazing, but I think I'm a little warn out of it.

Empire. Nothing needs to be said about this. Almost perfect filmmaking!

Return of the Jedi. Maybe my weakest one out of all 6. It's more solid than the prequels, but it doesn't hit the same highs.

Nope, I enjoy Episode I, though after the first watch the Pod Racing then doesn't do as much for me as most. I agree the Darth Maul fight is one of the greatest battles ever.

I love Episode III, full of emotion and great scenes. With another fantastically powerful end fight.

*Raises Shield* Actually I'm not all that fussed about Empire Strikes Back.

A big issue is that Hayden Christensen cannot act and then Natalie Portman decided to try and out un-act him.

tumblr_lka0m4lW3k1qzv9mho1_250.gif

Gif of life.

This is true.

Ewan MacGregor I just don't how to react to. I mean the script is diabolical obviously, but was that really him trying his best? It was so wooden. In a forest of wooden-ness, it was still distinctly woody.

Ah yes, there he is... all 2 pixels of the future Lord Vader! :p

I was talking about Episode III being pretty well acted. The scenes between Anakin/ObiWan/Padme had decent emotion behind them.

Really?

Perhaps the actors did their best, but the dialogue is simply appalling in those scenes.

"Chancellor Palpatine is evil!"

"From my point of view the Jedi are evil!"

"I love you!"

"LIAR!!"

People seem to like the prequels because they're mesmerised by all the action and special effects. Strip that away and you find a weak story with dull characters, the only point to the plot being to tie one action scene to the next.

The only good thing about the prequels is Ian McDiarmid. He's fantastic.

Granted I probably haven't seen the films he's meant to have given his best performances in, but I don't think I've ever seen Ewan McGregor act well. Star Wars, Black Hawk Down, The Island, Moulin Rouge.

I still think the scenes in Episode III are good though.

Edited by Retro_Link

One thing that always bugged me about the prequels was the "prophecy" mainly the part that he would be bring balance to the force.

Now, in the prequels there were thousands and thousands of jedi on the light side. And two to very few on the dark side. So the force was massively balanced towards the light...

...based on that, what did they expect to happen?

The prequel trilogy are just terrible except for Revenge of the Sith, which is a decent film with some great battle scenes. The Phantom Menace is pretty much shit but it has a wicked Podracing scene and it has some cool battles with added Darth Maul so it is excused. However, by far, the worst Star Wars movie ever is Attack of the Clones. Why on earth does this exist is beyond me. Nothing happens. It bores me.

The original trilogy are kick-ass and ten times more engaging and awesome. Nothing really needs to be said about it. It also breaks that mould of how people think that the sequel can never surpass the first movie because Star Wars did it.

As a series, it's a brilliant series and the stories are great but I just can't stand Attack of the Clones. I just can't! I will watch them all again back-to-back though since the last time I watched them back to back was when I was 18 so it's been three years.

As I grow older, I'm increasingly bored of all things Star Wars. The prequels are, to a frame, soulless hate crimes but if you're really honest, are the gungans any worse than ewoks? They are not. Bar Empire, the originals are pretty naff too and it really irks me that so many adults think they're so amazing when they should just shut the hell up and watch Taxi Driver.

Just finished all films on Blu-Ray, as well as the deleted scenes.

First, Ewan McGregor actually sounds a lot like Alec Guinness (especially when compared to the scene just after Yoda dies) - there's something about the way they both speak that fits together.

From the deleted scenes, it's amazing how different filming was. Most of the deleted scenes in the original trilogy looks mostly complete (just not as high quality as finished footage) - all the background characters and stuff is there, and the locations are complete.

The unfinished deleted scenes for the prequel trilogy just looks a mess, with stand-in GCI and multiple bits of footage glued together.

There's a rather amusing deleted scene with extra rebel pilots from the Battle of Endor - including one with a completely cut Mon Calamari pilot shouting "fried calamari tonight".

Just finished A New Hope. This was the only one I'd seen twice in my life, but still effectively forgot everything about it except the famous bits.

I enjoyed, so much more than the prequels. The actors felt like they were trying. There was passion, it felt like they'd worked on their roles etc. Compared to the 'technical run-through' feel of the prequels.

Leia is great.

Not a fan of Leia, stroppy cow. You can tell it's Harrison Fords first job. And Luke annoys as an utter whiner throughout.

Plus in hindsight Hayden Christensens Anakin [pretty boy] + Natalie Portmans Padme [pretty lady]... does not Luke Skywalker make!

Still enjoy it though! :p

Massive fan of the originals growing up and still love them to this day. I also like the prequels just as much really. Pretty much love the whole saga and the wider Star Wars universe to be honest. Bit of a Star Wars geek.

I don't think phantom menace deserves all the negativity it gets. I really like it. Jar Jar doesn't annoy me at all etiher. I think out of all 6, episode 2 is probably the weakest in all honesty.

Not overly fussed about Lucas keep changing the films either, most of the changes are for the better and I will defo go see them all in 3D. People need to stop moaning about him milking it. You don't have to buy versions/go cinema and spend your money on his creations.

Han Solo is by far my favourite character. but loved McGregor as Obi Wan too.