N-Europe

Prepping Mario & Zelda for the Wii U launch

daftada

It's pretty much guaranteed that Nintendo won't have a genuine sequel to the Mario or Zelda series ready in time to launch with the Wii U. Development time on each new entry in both series is typically around 3-4 years so even if Nintendo had finalised dev kits ready a year ago we're still looking at both coming out in the second (or even third) year of the console. Not to mention Miyamoto and Aonuma have been busy finishing Skyward Sword so wouldn't have been able to spend any decent amount of time putting some firm ideas together.

After the 3DS launch nintendo came under fire from gamers and the press for not having a Mario or Zelda game available at launch, and while I could go on for ages about the reasons behind this I'll just say that Nintendo must surely be eager to have some kind of presence from its two biggest (core) franchises when Wii U hits the shops.

That leaves me wondering what they could and should do for the next console. Personally I don't mind Nintendo taking their time with both franchises as I would rather they create something amazing and polished (Mario Galaxy, Mario 64, Zelda OoT), than cutting corners to meet a deadline (Wind Waker, Sunshine - I love both btw but they were obviously rushed out).

So the only other option Nintendo have is to bring out some kind of stop-gap, like a HD re-release or a spin off. As a necessary compromise, bringing out a Galaxy HD double pack or a redux of Four Swords (come on that pad is just MADE for a FSA sequel!) could satiate gamers' appetites but would undoubtedly piss off others who choose the 'nintendo are just being lazy' argument (despite the obvious huge time frames involved in bringing full sequels for both franchises...). I can think of a few possible releases they could go with:

Mario Galaxy 3 - I'd be happy with another bundle of ideas they disn't get to fit in the last two. SMG 2 felt like Miyamoto and co had plugged their brains directly into dev kits and flushed out all the crazy ideas they'd had sitting in their collective noggins for the last decade. I'd be up for more of the same :)

New Mario Bros Wii 2 - Ok if they go with Mii support, as the tech demo suggests, I wouldn't be too unhappy with that. But in keeping with the multiplayer/shared experience theme might I suggest this would be the perfect opportnity to give us a level editor so we can have our own LBP style community?

Four Swords Adventures 2 - As I said above, the Wii U controller is just perfect for Four Swords, and it would be an excellent way to kick off Wii U's online.

Wind Waker HD - As beautiful as WW is, I can't go back to the cube version after playing through it on my pc in 1080p. This is a game that DESERVES to be shown in full HD with all of its minute details, and vibrant worlds and characters brought to life on a HDTV. It also deserves to be finished properly and have its two missing dungeons reinstated.

Personally, I'd love to see any one of these launched with Wii U, but what do you think about having Mario & Zelda games at launch? Are you even bothered about having anything Mario or Zelda related? Do you think Nintendo should bend time and space to get proper sequels to both out in time? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and disussions! :)

I don't think it was purely the lack of Mario and Zelda games in the 3DS launch that fans were unhappy about was it?... it was the lack of any real First Party franchises full stop!

Mario and Zelda aren't must have launch titles for me, I'd be happy seeing one come out at Christmas, or a year or so later... but Nintendo has to deliver something!

They have such a number of great franchises, yet they rely on Mario & Zelda too much!

I think it's farely a given that Pikmin 3 should be there at launch... not necessarily a must buy for me... but I hope we'll also see the likes of StarFox, which is long overdue a sequel, or the likes of F-Zero/WaveRace etc...

The 3DS is getting a lot of great First Party franchises over the coming year, but hopefully a number of the others will find their way on to Wii U.

A new franchise would be great too!

Other than the Wii Sports/Fits etc... Pikmin was the last great new franchise wasn't it?... and that was right back at the start of the Gamecube!

Personally I'd like to see Mario take a different direction on Wii U, away from the gravity/planetoid levels.

New Super Mario Bros Wii U is a likely addition at some stage, maybe at launch (but again, it wouldn't be a must buy for me).

Four Swords Adventures would be great... but it's something Nintendo should perhaps be looking to make a download game, along with the first.

An HD ports series I'd be happy with, just so long as Nintendo put some other development team working on it (like they somewhat outsourced OOT 3D), so it doesn't take up any of their time.

Pikmin 3 should definitely be there!

Good lord, 't has been teased for quite some time now without any footage.

When Miyamoto-san said something like: 'When I saw those beautiful HD visuals I just knew that the WiiU was the right place for Pikmin' I got even more hyped, for I absolutely agree that Pikmin would benefit from HD visuals for it tries to boast a realistic Earth in all its colours and seasons and details.

So if that's not there at launch, in favour of a Steel Diver sequel I'll be a sad panda for about 2 seconds and then realize my backlog is as big as yo' momma.

When it comes to Mario & Zelda, .....perhaps Majora's Mask in HD?

New Super Mario Bros. Mii seems likely too.

Ideally, I would like to go back to the days when a 3D Mario was ready at launch, but I accept that may not be feasible with today's development times. One thing I'm over the moon about is that Skyward Sword hasn't been delayed to be a Wii U launch game, for many different reasons - one of them is that I think Zelda should arrive a year or two after Mario and build upon what's been done with that engine. Not that I'd complain if one was ready for launch.

My interpretation of the criticism of the 3DS, that it needed a "Mario" game, was that it needed a Mario-as-mascot game, in the way people complain there are too many "Mario" games when they mean things like Mario Tennis. After all, there were none for 3DS (and still aren't), which doesn't bother me personally, but it's a strange thought. With this in mind, I think it would be very sensible to have the two biggest "bridge" titles starring Mario ready at launch, namely New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart.

Mario and Zelda will be along at some point. It'll likely be at least a year after launch until we see a proper one of either.

The likes of F-Zero, Wave Rave, 1080 and Star Fox all all franchises that have missed the Wii, but would be perfect for the increased power, better online (hopefully) and the more standard button layout of the Wii U.

I'm not sure if the Wii U needs a Mario or Zelda, it just needs a proper (read: not a tech demo) Nintendo game or two at launch, imo. The DS and Wii were fine having little touch screen games to keep us curious and Wii Sports for that wow-factor, but if the 3DS is to be a barometer of things to come, Nintendo need to learn that early adopters of Nintendo consoles want Nintendo games.

What about a new franchise for the new console?

We've got to consider that many of Nintendo's games do not have the visual styles to really warrant the level of detail associated with High Definition and they'll not require the excessive development times that many HD games now require. While most of Nintendo's games will, of course, display in 1080p few will have the complex detail HD can offer (anyone expecting to see the fabric on Mario denims is deluded). Since Mario 3D Land is now complete, the team can shift focus onto a new Mario Galaxy game which could easily be targeted for WiiU's launch window, assuming a Christmas 2012 release. Same with Mario Kart too.

My personal opinion is that Pikmin 3 is going to be Nintendo's launch title. I think Retro may show up immediately after launch. Assuming that Christmas launch, Easter seems a good time to get a plumber in too. The key to success with WiiU will be developing a vast library quickly, peppered with exclusive content. Nintendo need to get moment fast; regardless of what Nintendo do now the negative feeling towards 3DS has - in my opinion - hurt its long term future. Nintendo can ill-afford for this to happen with WiiU.

f-zero is a must have,

Give this man a pat on the back. : peace:

If they revisited some of their 'fringe' franchises and developed true sequels and not, as someone else mentioned, mere tech demos then I'd be very happy with no Zelda or Mario. Actually, thinking about it, I'd prefer some of them get a chance to shine in the early months of the Wii U life. I hope they give F-Zero another chance, along with a brand new Starfox and, dare I say it, another Warioware. Oh and Pikmin 3 is surely a guaranteed launch title.

• 2 weeks later...

i also hope they wont take to long with the launch of the Wii u,

because i actually considered to buy 2012 games only for wii u, and not for my 360 anymore, so i hope they wont screw up,

the games i want to see on wii u, is the New Hitman absolution, metal gear solid, the game Kingdom under fire 2,

and for zelda i want nintendo to do something completely new with the game, a more dramatic story line, and give link more powers,

and an extra mode for online, like up to 4/5 players Co-op, wich u can chose between link zelda/sheik, the Sages, etc and i want voice acting for zelda, link can be the quiet type, but the story i want more drama in it, i dont really care wich way they go with the graphics, if they continue the anime art style, or for the more realistic style i like them both,

and for f-zero i want massive online play, like 30 / 40 players, just to crush them lol,

and for smashbros i dont have to say more, i want a larger character roster, more good guys and more villains, they can also do something with the touchscreen, like a mode to draw certain type of traps or walls, or to design your own level lots of possibilities, i loved the story adventure mode in brawl so that one definetily has to come back,

and i still want mewtwo back in smashbros, he is the coolest in pokemon history,

for third party support they can add someone from final fantasy, i want snake again and that ninja, sonic chaos and nuckles, megaman and Zero,

they also need to put more minigames in it, and lots of alternate costumes for every characters, and maybe just maybe a Character creation mode,where u can just have fun making your own hero/villain, just wishfull thinking,

for wii u i also want a third person metroid game, in the style they did for the last metroid, ninja gaiden style

nintendo hurry up already lol

I think the Wii U is set for a Q3 launch atm isn't it?

Would be great if we had it for Summer though!!!

Co-Op Zelda though........................... no thanks!

If it featured those characters in Co-Op, that would mean the story would have to centre around those characters, which would lead to your standard Zelda story.

I wouldn't mind if they wanted to include some multiplayer mode of Zelda Archery (not Crossbow, but a Hyrule themed Wii Sport Resort Archery), Sword Fighting, Horse Racing etc... though!! :D

I think the Wii U is set for a Q3 launch atm isn't it?

Would be great if we had it for Summer though!!!

Co-Op Zelda though........................... no thanks!

If it featured those characters in Co-Op, that would mean the story would have to centre around those characters, which would lead to your standard Zelda story.

I wouldn't mind if they wanted to include some multiplayer mode of Zelda Archery (not Crossbow, but a Hyrule themed Wii Sport Resort Archery), Sword Fighting, Horse Racing etc... though!! :D

What about the well-on-its-way The Legend of Zelda: RTS ?

Or Super Mario World, yes. :)

I suppose I just don't see Mario as this AAA game that needs to be polished and polished, although I could understand how many feel otherwise.

I was just being finickity and highlighting the only 3D mario that was a launch title was SM64, albeit twice(DS as well).

Both SMW and SM64 were killer titles, exactly the sort of thing I think a system should be launched with, so it totally bamboozles me when nowadays consoles are launched with quite mediocre lineups/no big first party titles(see 3DS launch).

Or Super Mario World, yes. :)

I suppose I just don't see Mario as this AAA game that needs to be polished and polished, although I could understand how many feel otherwise.

Mario needs to move with the times. And I believe that the franchise has!

Mario needs to move with the times. And I believe that the franchise has!

At risk of spamming this vid, having posted it in the new smbwii thread too;

Now obviously Mega64 are jokers, but I do think they make a good point with this vid. I feel like the games aren't bringing anything all that new to the table these days.

I feel like the games aren't bringing anything all that new to the table these days.
I haven't watched the video, but honestly isn't that true of most games now? Shooters are by and large just copies of one another... either MW clones or Post Apocalyptic. I think it takes a lot for something to stand out in any genre now.

But yeah really Zelda and Mario should be expected to keep moving forward, because they're Nintendo's two biggest titles. It does feel like Nintendo is quite lazy with it's franchises at time (infact not just it's franchises).

Though personally I did think Super Mario Galaxy felt like a very new and unique experience... a platformer unlike any I'd played before.

I haven't watched the video, but honestly isn't that true of most games now? Shooters are by and large just copies of one another... either MW clones or Post Apocalyptic. I think it takes a lot for something to stand out in any genre now.

But yeah really Zelda and Mario should be expected to keep moving forward, because they're Nintendo's two biggest titles. It does feel like Nintendo is quite lazy with it's franchises at time (infact not just it's franchises).

Though personally I did think Super Mario Galaxy felt like a very new and unique experience... a platformer unlike any I'd played before.

A fair comment to make, though sort of alluded to as the joke in the video, is the fact that back in the 80s/90s MW wasn't around, but 2D side scrolling mario was. It's like it's been...done more? Move on less? Don't get me wrong though, it's a joke video and a joke not trying hard to make a point, it's an easily arguable issue in both favours.

I agree that Nintendo are being lazy with their franchises, or rather...just not innovative enough? Maybe it's hit a wall it can't break through, though. Epic Yarn is something that I feel split on, they DID take a non-kirby game and tack it on, but then they could be argued to be trying to mix it up with that. However for me that change lost the joy I got from copy abilities and stuff, and made me view a fairly good game less than I might otherwise have done, because it had a big name tacked to it. What would the reception/reaction have been had it gone ahead as its own game?

True, I'd say it's the side-scroller genre NINTENDO could and should drastically re-invent.

If anyone can do it, I bet it's them!

Mario...but BACKWARDS! Move him right to left! Turn the entire genre on its head!!