NEurope
Ellmeister

Cringe-worthy words or phrases

I always hate it when the tabloids add 'gate' to the end of any scandal. It's so overdone and makes absolutely no sense.

I know what you mean. Like anything could compare to Watergate.

It's completely overdone at this point. It cheapens the original every time it's used. Watergate was, unarguably, a monument to the power of a strong, free press. When 'gate' is added on to shit like a publicity baiting tiff on the X-Factor set, it's just depressing.

I haven't noticed that many 'gate' scandals outside of waterway.

I haven't noticed that many 'gate' scandals outside of waterway.

The gaming press and forum goers use it at the drop of a hat. Quite literally in the case of TF2.

Aah! Aah! I can't believe I forgot this one!

People who use the word "dope" to describe things they like.

and "sick".... what's with that? Banter is just a disaster...

You mainlanders and your strange use of words....

I think I've just never used "slang" except for words like "posh" and "cool" and "awesome" and stuff from before I was born.

Whenever I hear people using some trendy new word I don't think "aww I should use that too!" I think "What? Are you idiots or something?" and wait for it all to just blow over.

"That is so phat!"

and "sick".... what's with that? Banter is just a disaster...

Sick used to be cool. It was a very skateboard/stoner kid phrase, then it got adopted by trendy kids, around the same time they decided ripped jeans were actually cool now.

The gaming press and forum goers use it at the drop of a hat. Quite literally in the case of TF2.

Fandom too. I was apparently a part of "WotterGate" in September when the starter evolutions for Black & White were leaked. Everyone was saying they were fake, making up ridiculous reasonings for it. I said they were real, because they were real and I got such abuse from it, and very few apologies when I was proven right. The entire fandom calls it WotterGate

Another word I've noticed lately is "hench". What the fuck is that?

My brother was told to get some "hench" sweets for the night at the club he runs so that doesn't really fit

eerrrrrr...really? wow. OK.

Well it's supposed to describe a muscled guy- ie "he's been working out a lot and is starting to look really hench"

I've heard it used for other stuff to describe it as either massive or kick-ass too, though, like a "hench bonfire"

but sweets? Lulz.

I assume its a fairly simple case of [awaits Grunch to insert correct term] whereby it went from "henchman" (as suggested) being strong. Thus "hench" means strong. Strong (particularly in this sense of being muscley and manly) is "good" thus hence eventually becomes "good". A lot of words evolve their meaning over time. I like it, it makes me gay.

The similar to why "weapon" and "tool" mean "bad". Although when I hear someone calling someone else I weapon I always think it's a compliment and that it's the complete opposite of "tool".

The similar to why "weapon" and "tool" mean "bad". Although when I hear someone calling someone else I weapon I always think it's a compliment and that it's the complete opposite of "tool".

Do people honestly call other people 'weapons'? Like 'you are such a weapon'? That is the most un-hench thing I've ever heard.

Do people honestly call other people 'weapons'? Like 'you are such a weapon'? That is the most un-hench thing I've ever heard.

Never heard of that statement before, never called anyone a weapon in my life. Tend to use "Tool" more often though, don't know why really. Just slips out when someone does something stupid.

I call my penis a weapon.

Oh wait no. My penis is the hammer.

That comment is so uzi 9mm.

I assume its a fairly simple case of [awaits Grunch to insert correct term] whereby it went from "henchman" (as suggested) being strong. Thus "hench" means strong. Strong (particularly in this sense of being muscley and manly) is "good" thus hence eventually becomes "good". A lot of words evolve their meaning over time. I like it, it makes me gay.

Metonymy followed by semantic drift/bleaching, I guess. :heh:

I greatly dislike it when people speak in nothing but cliches/ overwrought figures of speech/ generalisations that really don't mean anything when applied out of context, but have somehow come to mean something completely detached from the meaning endemic to that string of words. I'm bad with examples, so take my abstractions and shove them up your arse.

Tool in this case means cock. No idea about weapon, that's new to me.

"Let's just say that...."

No, say what you want to say instead of speaking in unnecessary riddles!

Interestingly, using weapon-y words to refer to penis has been going on for centuries. I mean, magnus telum (large throwing spear) meant massive cock in Roman times.

Edit: Could be magnum telum, can't remember the gender of telum. But it would make sense if it were masculine.

Edited by chairdriver