NEurope
Ellmeister

Cringe-worthy words or phrases

I never thought about that before - would Homophobia not just be fear of the same/things that are the same?

Technically, yeah - in Latin it could even mean fear of humans. But words made up of Greek and Latin aren't always literal and can often get twisted based on culture.

For example, if I asked how much a computer cost, I don't want to hear "How long is a piece of string?", I want to hear something along the lines of "Well it depends on how powerful the computer is, it can range from a few hundred pounds for a basic machine up to a few thousand for a high end gaming rig."

That wouldn't be an appropriate topic of discussion for the phrase. 'How long is a piece of string' is used as a reply to FAR more generic, vague and basically stupid, questions, like 'How many pages should a novel have' or 'how big is a building'

It's said with a smirk, because the person asked a dumb question.

It's worst when people say something is banter.

"Last night was banter." "Tonight is gonna be banter."

WTF. What sort of total losers use the word in that sense?! I've never heard such a thing, thankfully.

I hate it when people say, "In your opinion..."

I was talking about a movie not long ago and said something like, "Man that movie sucked..."

Then someone said that annoying sentence...

I think they think they're being smart maybe?

I usually end up ranting about that phrase and probably looking like an ass... but...

I mean, yeah, no shit!

It's my opinion, oddly enough... did you think I was going to be talking about another person's opinion?

Are you so stupid that you can't tell when someone is talking from a personal viewpoint?

Fucking mong.

Technically, yeah - in Latin it could even mean fear of humans. But words made up of Greek and Latin aren't always literal and can often get twisted based on culture.

But none of it's Latin, it's all Greek. It's just same-fear, which is really just a shortening for same-sexual-fear or something, everyone is clear what it means. It's irrelevant that homo means something else in Latin, although looking in the OED it seems that sex is a Latin rather than Greek root, which confuses things a little.

So that fosters advert must drive you crazy then? :p

It is pretty shit. :p

Whats wrong with 'carbs'?

The same as others have said in the first couple of pages. It's just a crass word.

I've got another one:

Megs (meaning MegaBytes)

I also have a dislike of people, especially papers etc, using a small m to mean million. i.e. Putting £10m rather than £10M.

The same as others have said in the first couple of pages. It's just a crass word.

Hardly, it's taking another word, carbohydrates and just shortening it. It's pretty regular in the English language. Admin? Ammo? Info? Lab? Rehab?

Hardly, it's taking another word, carbohydrates and just shortening it. It's pretty regular in the English language. Admin? Ammo? Info? Lab? Rehab?

Rehab; there's another one.

I'm well aware carbs it's merely a shortened word; it was just shortened by the wrong circle of people.

Well they couldn't shorten it to cars, that'd just be confusing.

But none of it's Latin, it's all Greek. It's just same-fear, which is really just a shortening for same-sexual-fear or something, everyone is clear what it means. It's irrelevant that homo means something else in Latin, although looking in the OED it seems that sex is a Latin rather than Greek root, which confuses things a little.

My point was that modern uses of Latin and Greek words aren't really supposed to be taken literally. "Schizophrenia" literally means "split mind", but as some people know, schizophrenia is not actually dissociative identity disorder, what is commonly known as split personality.

"Homosexual" isn't the only case where Greek and Latin have been combined, either - aquaphobia, fear of water, should technically be hydrophobia, since all other phobias are in Greek, but hydrophobia already referred to a sympton of later-stage rabies, meaning the had to use the Latin word for water when naming the phobia.

"In other news"

I can't stand it used on forums etc, on the actual news it's fine but online it makes you sound like a tool. Stop.

In other news, you're a cunt. ;)

Literally annoys me because it's not just regular twats who use it now, it's started making appearances in the media. As an imaginary example, a football commentator might say something like.. "He literally sliced the defence open" - Did he? Really did he?

'Amazing' - for the same reasons everyone now doesn't like epic. I have one friend who is dreadful for it. Same with 'Surreal'. 'Random' is pretty bad as well but I can forgive that one more.

Also that thing people say, you've heard it before:

"Oasis are an amazing band"

Fucks me right off.

Oh, calling someone 'Islamophobic', to brush of any and all criticisms of Islam. Usually meant as a kind of 'You're racist' insult. I'm not racist if I abhor religion, Islam included, so fuck off.

Edited by ipaul

I've got another one:

Megs (meaning MegaBytes)

I also have a dislike of people, especially papers etc, using a small m to mean million. i.e. Putting £10m rather than £10M.

Why should it be £10M?

Another really annoying thing is the complete oveuse of "the [word] factor".

I always hate it when the tabloids add 'gate' to the end of any scandal. It's so overdone and makes absolutely no sense.

'Random' is pretty bad as well but I can forgive that one more.

Oh man that one pisses me off so much. It's never even random. I've even heard people refer to strangers as "randomers". "We were out last night when this randomer came up to us."

I always hate it when the tabloids add 'gate' to the end of any scandal. It's so overdone and makes absolutely no sense.

I know what you mean. Like anything could compare to Watergate.

Well they couldn't shorten it to cars, that'd just be confusing.

Don't worry, we're going to start calling cars automobiles.

I am still praying that there's some scandal surrounding an actual gate, just so that it stops the media from using that term for a while.

I am still praying that there's some scandal surrounding an actual gate, just so that it stops the media from using that term for a while.

You mean you haven't heard of the Gategate scandal?