N-Europe

Awkward British humour

Dog-amoto

I'm getting really pissed off with this, and I'm going to blame Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant mainly.

Just come back from watching Bridesmaids (which is shit with a few funny moments by the way) and I'm fed up of this bumbling, awkwardness that seems to pass for humour nowadays, especially when the Americans do it. It's started happening ever since the Office became so popular in the States

You know what I'm talking about. The "erm...well...yeah...I don't...but you are...hang on I'm..." not finishing sentences properly bullshit.

If you don't, here's a few examples:

Kristen Wiig is a huge offender. SHe's even worse in Bridesmaids. She did the same thing in Ghost Town, which I know had Ricky Gervais in it but even so...

These pricks in Phone Shop, which yes I know Gervais had something to do with

The bellend at the end "You know where to get your savings now, with all the..." All of the what? Cunt!

There's probably loads more examples. But why do a load of comedy actors suddenly find the need to copy Gervais and Merchant in order to be "funny"? So many TV shows and Hollywood movies are now copying this same style it's just not funny anymore!

I understand your point and I agree to a certain extent, however I don't think I've noticed it being done. In fact I flat out disagree with the first example you gave there, I think Kirsten Wiig's delivery in that scene is fucking hilarious "I know, I was so surprised too" whilst grinning is brilliant.

But yeah the second is a complete and utter mannerism copy of any scene from The Office.

It depends on context. The Office worked because that type of awkward humour IS realistic It's how people talk in the real life. Not finishing sentences and...

In real life when people say an awesome line they tend to laugh at their own cleverness and quote it again, not just say it off the cuff with flawless delivery. The Office just started a trend of making humour more like it is in the real world.

It doesn't have it's place in everything but it just depends on the sort of world that that show is set in. I'd love for a film to recapture the weird humour of Airplane! or the campery of the Carry On... films but things like Bridesmaids aren't that type of thing.

Quite frankly, it's a lot better than shouting, unrealistic sitcoms like Friends or Big Bang Theory. I find "lines" far more annoying.

Edited by Hamishmash

I know you're bemoaning about it (how British :heh:) and everyone is disagreeing with you (how equally British :heh:) but The Comeback does the awkward comedy bit perfectly. Probably doesn't come across too well in a small clip but anyone who enjoys The Office should check it out. It's better*

*my hatred for Gervais probably alters my view of The Office...

I'd love for a film to recapture the weird humour of Airplane! or the campery of the Carry On... films but things like Bridesmaids aren't that type of thing.

30 Rock!

(okay its not a film but whatever)

Edited by Ashley
Automerged Doublepost

The one with the weird eating thing?

It's surely all just down to taste anyway?

I think Big Bang Theory is one of the worst comedies in recent years.

Mainly due to its' style, I just don't gel with it.

I think Big Bang Theory is one of the worst comedies in recent years.

Hate that show with a passion, not every single line needs to be a (shit) joke where the crowd screams with laughter.

In the examples above, I don't like the middle one but in general I haven't seen this stuff happen much, and the first and third example... I don't see it.

Well, you're wrong. It's great. Didn't even see your examples, don't really care about any of them. But when those two do it, it works. It really does. I just finished Portal 2 and... it just further proved how good that type of humour can be.

Yes I agree, Wheatley is one of the greatest characters in video game history. But my point was that people feel they need to almost plagiarise Gervais and Merchant in order to be "with it" and funny. It's fucking annoying that it seems to have spread as far as Hollywood and is now in a load of recent American comedies.

Ya I don't get a lot of comedy these days. Up in the air was meant to be a comedy and I thought it was shite. I don't even find movies like the hangover utterly hilarious anymore...

I'm really a fan of the airplanes, naked guns, Dumb and dumber, trains planes etc etc

Nah it's more to do with the fact that it's not funny.

At all.

Meh I'd take it over most American sitcoms anyday.. and to be fair to it it has gotten better with each series. The first 2 are unwatchable however.

Edited by mcj metroid

Well using American examples of destroying that form of humour isn't exactly fair: American's are only just funny at the best of times, and when it isn't funny it's almost always 'try-hard', which seems to be their main problem.

How How I met your Mother and Big Bang Theory etc make it onto TV at all, let alone UK TV, is beyond me.

... Actually, they do belong somewhere: BBC three, with all the other tripe.

Edited by Kurtle Squad