N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

Uruguay president supports Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, insisting 'he is not a racist' and row has been 'exaggerated'

The president of Uruguay has defended Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, insisting his compatriot "is not a racist and never will be".

Jose Mujica felt the situation surrounding the 25-year-old Liverpool player and his eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra had been over-hyped.

Speaking to Uruguayan radio station M24, the president said: "There is solidarity with Suarez. Suarez is not a racist and never will be."

In a separate interview, with weekly newspaper Busqueda, he added that the case had been "exaggerated".

"There is nothing racist," said Mujica, adding that "some do not understand" Suarez and did not study "diplomatic protocol".

Mujica added: "He's a young genius on the football field, (and) humble."

The president's support came hours after Uruguay captain Diego Lugano gave his backing to his international team-mate in the wake of more criticism for not shaking Evra's hand in last weekend's 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford.

"Keep in mind that England is a country historically colonial and racism is very delicate, but we know that has nothing to do with the relationship between Luis and the United player," he told Uruguayan television station Canal 10.

Lugano added that Suarez "has gone through a few months he did not deserve".

"All of us in football know it's a big circus. For what did Luis on Saturday must have balls. He followed his convictions," said the defender who plays for Paris Saint Germain - the side today linked with a summer move for Suarez.

"We live in a democracy and if you do not want to greet someone, do not greet them."

Pretty cool that the president of Uruguay has defended him.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the game against Ajax. Good result in the end and the move which led to Little Pea's second goal was excellent. Ajax have a good team with some promising young players. Wouldn't be surprised if some of those moved on to other clubs, although it would be amazing for Ajax if they kept hold of them. Not sure if that'll happen...quite sad really.

I cant find the quotes or statement from the FA (havent looked very hard though) but from what I know both Evra and the FA acknowledged that they didnt think Suarez was racist. Saying what he said doesnt make him a racist but in the country he said it, it is considered a racist comment so has to be dealt with.

That's all in the FA report. It's one mans word against another.

And who was the more trustworthy? Evra who said that Su?rez called him the n word 10 times, then reduced that amount and said he called him it 3 times.

I've read quite alot of pieces written by Uruguayans who say that what Evra claims Su?rez said to him are things he wouldn't even say, due to where from Uruguay he is from, which is confusing.

That's all in the FA report. It's one mans word against another.

And who was the more trustworthy? Evra who said that Su?rez called him the n word 10 times, then reduced that amount and said he called him it 3 times.

I've read quite alot of pieces written by Uruguayans who say that what Evra claims Su?rez said to him are things he wouldn't even say, due to where from Uruguay he is from, which is confusing.

It's one man's word and video evidence against another's... He was being racist to try to upset Evra into getting sent off and he got punished for it and acted like a victim. And he probably said negro to him on the order of 10 times during the game, maybe he thought it meant the n word. Evra has a good record anyway. A deaf fan claimed to lip read Steve Finnan directing a racial slur at Evra, but when the claim came round to Evra, he declined to make any complaint because he didnt hear it. Then there was the fight with Chelsea ground staff a couple of seasons ago where Mike Phelan ran onto the pitch to break it up and said he heard racist language being directed at Evra. When the FA quizzed Evra about it he said he hadn't heard anything racist (probably because he was fighting at the time).

Portsmouth adminstrators seemingly have no interest in the club ending up in the hands of fans...The Supporters trust and council have requested a meeting with them and this is the reply they got:

The Pompey Supporters Trust has contacted Mr Andronikou and Mr Kubik several times in the last two months to request a meeting. All meeting requests have been refused by joint administrators Mr Andronikou and Mr Kubik, on the grounds that the PST would need to provide ?100 million in proof of funds before any meeting could take place.

Now this seems odd as in previous reports...which I've sat and watched on Sky Sports News Andronikou has said that interested parties need ?20 million proof of funds. I defintely think Andronikou is biased and has too much of a financial interest in the club, he's too entrenched in it all. He was there when Mandaric bought the club he helped negotiate Gaydamak's buy out and then was there in amongst all the previous administration. To not even meet with fans, the council and local businesses is just plain disgusting. I think it's a good thing that form Chief Exec of Chelsea Trevor Birch has now been put in as Administrator of Portsmouth FC but will still gave to deal with Andronikou as he is Adminstrator of our parent company.

Such a mess....

Arsenal were slightly better in the second half, but were utterly terrible in the first. Awful, no other word best describes it.

I was pleased when Sunderland got their second, but I did feel bad for OxCham. Purely because he was one of the few players who thought it was wise to track back. Terrible defending in general. Arsenal don't defend as a unit. You could tell the non-defenders in the team were thinking "right, they're the defenders, they will do all the defending." It doesn't work like that, you defend as a team.

Also, what has Wenger done to Arteta? He was fucking terrible today. Couldn't pass, couldn't shoot, couldn't defend...

I bet AVB is happy, in a way. The talk could have been all about him and his 50 million pound non-scoring striker. Thank God Wenger is there to take the heat off him.

Let's hope it continues next week! Spurs win and wenger could be gone I reckon!

I really can't seem them playing as shit as they did in the last two games, which is a shame. We just need to triple up on Van Persie and we should be OK. :P

Well if we play that bad again, we'll get fucked. Absolutely god awful.

Edited by spirited away

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!