N-Europe

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

darksnowman

No Capcom Love = No Smash Bros. Megaman!!!

Besides he was the perfect candidate last time. If he couldn't make it then, he's got no chance now.

Yeah, because MH exclusivity on the 3DS and Wii U wasn't a big deal. FFS. MH is their biggest franchise and they've just handed it to Nintendo. What's more Capcom supported the Wii and already have announced Revelations for the Wii U.

Don't fool yourself. We're getting ports. While MH is great, MH3U is a port of a port. The reason we got MH was because it would cost too much to put in HD at the time. I think I remember Capcom saying so? Revelations? A port. Then there's their Wii support. No mainline RE, no we get 2 on rail shooters. Spyborgs? Meh. Zach & Wiki was good. Then there was Capcom vs Tatsunoko. Again while good, ask yourself why we didn't get Marvel vs Capcom? They in no way gave us the same support as the HD twins.

I think the likes of Ice Climbers, Lucas, King DeDeDe, Wolf and Meta Knight could be swapped for much bigger names (and I just picked on them because they're generally all clone characters)

Also Marth and Ike are ridiculously similar!

...The hell? Did you play the same game as I did?

Don't fool yourself. We're getting ports. While MH is great, MH3U is a port of a port. The reason we got MH was because it would cost too much to put in HD at the time. I think I remember Capcom saying so? Revelations? A port. Then there's their Wii support. No mainline RE, no we get 2 on rail shooters. Spyborgs? Meh. Zach & Wiki was good. Then there was Capcom vs Tatsunoko. Again while good, ask yourself why we didn't get Marvel vs Capcom? They in no way gave us the same support as the HD twins.

Yeah, they're ports... Ports of 3DS versions in the first place! :heh:

Also, ports of PS360 games were very much a no go. The Wii is functionally different from the HD twins, you know this. Games like De Blob 2 and Sonic Unleashed are the exception, not the rule.

You say we didn't get Marvel vs. Capcom. I say the HD twins didn't get Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Back when the game was announced for the Wii, fighting game fans were livid that it wasn't coming to any of the HD twins, even though Capcom kept saying they would have to rebuild the game from the ground up to get it there. It wasn't until TvC was released in Japan that they actually got started in MvC3!

So, what actually happened is that they supported the Wii first, then worked on the HD twins due to the demand that TvC caused.

And all of that without mentioning the hurdles they went through to get the game overseas!

Finally, regardless of what you think of Spyborgs' quality, or the reason MH3 couldn't be on the PS360... Support is support. So what if they showed support to the other consoles, too? Capcom actually tried to get good, original content on the Wii (and don't go thinking implementing MH3 on the Wii was easy, considering online is half of that game's point).

And that was just the Wii. Should we start talking about the DS and 3DS?

As long as this guy's in, I'm happy.

mr-game-and-watch-1.jpg

I still have the same suggestion as I did with Brawl: Make clone characters alternate costumes and have a ton more of them.

Or, you could have like 5 characters, and let the rest be clones! Much faster development time!

Look, Nintendo have Capcom's current biggest franchise as an exclusive. MH3U and MH4 are both exclusively on Nintendo systems. That is a fact.

As for your attack on Capcom's output on Wii, I'll point out now that those rail shooters were more favourably viewed than RE6 and the port of RE4 was amazing. Capcom have always been good to Nintendo with the exception of the N64 days when they were slow to get on board.

In terms of looks. Two characters that look very similar is a bit boring. Don't know why they didn't just stick with Roy.

If looks were an issue, Luigi and Zelda should get the boot, then :heh:

Also, Roy is a clone, unpopular (the only reason he got in Melee was publicity) and actually much more similar to Marth in personality and looks than Ike is. I know you're only looking at hair colours, but they're more different than you give them credit for.

Plus, both characters have gotten new looks since.

On a side note, I just noticed that, except for the swords, our most recent main characters in the series actually look a LOT like Ike and Marth...

tumblr_m08mu9rwlJ1qf4ui0o1_500.png

I could see Chrom replacing Ike, at least.

Fire Emblem shouldn't really be a series they keep swapping out characters from. It's not one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, few people know the characters anyway, and the fact they all seem to have blue hair doesn't help.

At least people got to know Roy and Marth, they looked individual and were good choices as far as I'm concerned.

Look, Nintendo have Capcom's current biggest franchise as an exclusive. MH3U and MH4 are both exclusively on Nintendo systems. That is a fact.

As for your attack on Capcom's output on Wii, I'll point out now that those rail shooters were more favourably viewed than RE6 and the port of RE4 was amazing. Capcom have always been good to Nintendo with the exception of the N64 days when they were slow to get on board.

We'll agree to disagree. Wii got fed crumbs from Capcom's table. RE4 while good, was a port. The 2 rail shooters were thrown out to Cavia, not mainline developed nor mainline games. MH came because of financial constraints. Not sure MH is their biggest franchise. Japan yes but not elsewhere.

Look at this list of franchises, some with multiple entries. Did we get any of these? Devil May Cry, Lost Planet, Bionic Commando, Marvel vs. Capcom, Dead Rising, Street Fighter, Resident Evil(main series). No we didn't.

So back to the Smash Bros thread, or is this a Capcom thead? :confused:

I still think work needs to be done with the single player side of things. I loved the mission mode from Melee and I absolutely LOVED break the targets.

Although, in Brawl it was totally cheapened and felt rushed with each character having the same stage, rather than individual stages to utilise their move sets.

I even loved the Home Run contest! I think that was one of the only times I found Ganandorf useful! Ha.

I'd love to see more of that in there. The single campaign of Brawl was adventurous but totally lacking for me. It had no identity of what it wanted to be and just felt very messy.

As for characters, a smaller roster suits me tbh but I also don't mind if they wanna throw in odd characters that work well.

So back to the Smash Bros thread, or is this a Capcom thead? :confused:

I still think work needs to be done with the single player side of things. I loved the mission mode from Melee and I absolutely LOVED break the targets.

Although, in Brawl it was totally cheapened and felt rushed with each character having the same stage, rather than individual stages to utilise their move sets.

I even loved the Home Run contest! I think that was one of the only times I found Ganandorf useful! Ha.

I'd love to see more of that in there. The single campaign of Brawl was adventurous but totally lacking for me. It had no identity of what it wanted to be and just felt very messy.

As for characters, a smaller roster suits me tbh but I also don't mind if they wanna throw in odd characters that work well.

I liked all the modes and hope they all return in addition to others.

Fire Emblem shouldn't really be a series they keep swapping out characters from. It's not one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, few people know the characters anyway, and the fact they all seem to have blue hair doesn't help.

At least people got to know Roy and Marth, they looked individual and were good choices as far as I'm concerned.

Marth was the number one requested character for Melee, actually. Fire Emblem was always popular in Japan (Marth's Sword even appears in Kirby Superstar), and has managed to gain popularity worldwide thanks to Smash Bros.

Furthermore, Fire Emblem Awakening is the first Nintendo game with DLC, is selling quite well, and it's being released worldwide with a considerable marketing push.

Basically, FE has a lot more going for it than most other series represented in Smash (not that they're any less worthy. Seeing only popular folk in the roster would be boring)

@Aneres11 Other than the cutscenes I can't particularly say I enjoyed Brawls single player either for the reasons you gave.

Something more akin to Melee's would be far better in my eyes.

Marth was the number one requested character for Melee, actually. Fire Emblem was always popular in Japan (Marth's Sword even appears in Kirby Superstar), and has managed to gain popularity worldwide thanks to Smash Bros.

Furthermore, Fire Emblem Awakening is the first Nintendo game with DLC, is selling quite well, and it's being released worldwide with a considerable marketing push.

Basically, FE has a lot more going for it than most other series represented in Smash (not that they're any less worthy. Seeing only popular folk in the roster would be boring)

All I'm saying is Marth and Ike look way too similar! :indeed:

Roy was only in Melee to advertise the latest Fire Emblem at the time and Ike only replaced him in Brawl to advertise what was the latest Fire Emblem when that game was released, so I'd expect they'll replace Ike with whoever the latest fresh-faced guy with blue hair happens to be when the new game is out.

Probably that guy from the 3DS game. He has blue hair, right? :p

Maybe if the Wii wasn't repacked hardware from the late 1990s and actually had at least some grunt behind it with more modern graphics architecture, Capcom would have been in a better position to downgrade and port engines. Nintendo may have said "we don't want to compete on graphics" but that forced all 3rd parties to split their own resources. It didn't just affect Capcom, it affected everyone. Not sure what the need is to single them out for it.

Anyway...

@Retro_Link It would have been silly to keep Roy in the series given his game never actually came out in the West. I think Marth was voted in by Japanese fans and is likely to stay for as long as the series continues. Roy was Marth for the unskilled - that's why I liked him more :) But with Brawl, Ike is incredibly different to Marth though yeah, blue hair and clothing is pretty standard for many main characters in Fire Emblem games - Sigurd has blue hair and a blue cloak and Celice has blue hair and blue clothes, Eliwood looks like Roy but his clothes are closer to Marth, and then Hector has blue hair and blue clothes (that's a point, where were Sigurd, Celice and Leaf in the SMT reveal?). And although it's abit turquiosy, the twins from 8 aren't so radically different... especially their latest version.

Ike has also had another redesign as part of his FE: Awakening DLC to distinguish himself again. Jonnas was right though that Chrom is looking good for this version but I'd feel bad for the loss of Ike... and he looks pretty similar too - more so than Ike.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Roy was only in Melee to advertise the latest Fire Emblem at the time and Ike only replaced him in Brawl to advertise what was the latest Fire Emblem when that game was released, so I'd expect they'll replace Ike with whoever the latest fresh-faced guy with blue hair happens to be when the new game is out.

Nope. Ike had the FE9 design, and the most recent game was FE10. He got in because his popularity was verified, unlike Micaiah's or Roy's (Roy was the upcoming game at the time, actually. Roy's final design ended up looking different from his Melee incarnation, too)

Anyway, Chrom has the best chance of getting in, considering his game seems to be the next big thing for the series. And since he looks a lot like Ike, he'll likely fight similarly.

Nope. Ike had the FE9 design, and the most recent game was FE10. He got in because his popularity was verified, unlike Micaiah's or Roy's (Roy was the upcoming game at the time, actually. Roy's final design ended up looking different from his Melee incarnation, too)

Indeed.

What was odd with Ike though is that he gains somes serious muscle from PoR to RD and becomes stronger, but slower for it which fits better with his redesigned character art for the game.

However he's quite slow but poweful in Brawl, more in line with his RD incarnation yet he is dressed like he is in PoR.

Still, if they keep him in, at least they have a few designs they can use for color swaps if they want.

Anyway, Chrom has the best chance of getting in, considering his game seems to be the next big thing for the series. And since he looks a lot like Ike, he'll likely fight similarly.

They should just have all these blue haired characters as alternate costumes of Marth, bring back Roy... and have other red haired characters as his alternate costumes. Although by the sound of it he's the only Red haired character in the history of Fire Emblem! ;)