Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

3D Pokédex App

Ashley

A free Pokédex app for the 3DS will let you view Pokémon in both 3D and the real world.

With the launch of the 3DS eShop just a few days away Nintendo has announced that Pokémon fans have something to look forward to. A 3D Pokédex application will give gamers information about the 150 new Pokémon from Black and White as well as give them the opportunity to view them in the real world thanks to augmented reality.

According to Nintendo World Report in the beginning you only have 16 Pokémon but through scanning QR codes, trading data or using SpotPass, through which up to three Pokémon a day will appear, you will be able to collect data on all 150 new Pokémon.

The Pokémon can be viewed in full 3D and you can rotate around them. Information about their moves, evolutions, type and much more can be seen and the app also allows for filtering and bookmarking.

There is no news yet as to when the app will be launched but for now check out some of the screenshots in the gallery.

3.jpg

Above report by me, original source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26460?

:D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! Now this is the kind of thing that I'm talking about! Nintendo has not disappointed :D

Just as most people have started to finish the puzzles, along comes an awesome free software that also utilises StreetPass. The best part, is that this is not just some cheap thing where it just shows the sprite, but that it actually has a 3D model, and AR is always great!

Slightly sad that it only includes Gen V, but the fact that it specifies Unova Pokédex on the bottom left of the top screen has me hopeful that the others will be added as well. Also, it looks like you can look at the gender differences, and as we know, only very few pokémon have differences in Gen V. Both of these points make me quite confident that we will see more sooner or later :)

Sounds good in theory, but tbh not practical, I prefer using Lukomon on the Ipod, lets me able to have a pokedex open with locations etc etc while playing so I don't have to turn the DS off.

Though it does look pretty cool, and that it uses the QR codes etc is always nice.

Ah, so that's why they've been taken down the unofficial apps from Apple/Android stores lately.

I think it's more that they've caught up to the whole app scene - emulators and stuff all vanished recently, too.

@Serebii: When/where/how did you learn about the app and can you tell more about it?

Going through the screenshots, I noticed that the Pokemon seem to cast shadows on themselves in some of them. Going by the shadow on the tail in the next shot it's even done in real time. I do hope these aren't only static statues though and have some animation, like blinking, breathing, turning their heads etc.

I also hope Nintendo will continue to update this and integrate it with newer Pokemon games instead of forgetting it exists after a couple of months.

Let me make this clear, you don't trade Pokémon here. As far as I have been made aware, this holds no relation to the main games other than as a resource. You do, however, appear to access new Pokémon through Street Pass.

Hope not, that'd be awful
Why?

It could be optional, or limited to multiplayer battles.

Handheld Pokemon isn't going to stay a 2D sprite based series forever!

And when they do take it into 3D, I'd rather they did something different to the aweful 3D battles on N64/Gamecube.

Why?

It could be optional, or limited to multiplayer battles.

Handheld Pokemon isn't going to stay a 2D sprite based series forever!

And when they do take it into 3D, I'd rather they did something different to the aweful 3D battles on N64/Gamecube.

Actually, it is. For the forseeable future anyway. The developers have said that the prefer to use sprites as they can be more artistic with them and they intend to keep using them

Actually, it is. For the forseeable future anyway. The developers have said that the prefer to use sprites as they can be more artistic with them and they intend to keep using them

Yep agreed. I hope though that they bring in perhaps a 3D camera into the next pokemon game, very similar to that of Dragon Quest VII and the Dragon Quest remakes on DS, how you can view the whole town more in-depth

Fantastic news - I can't wait to get my hands on this! I'm sure I won't actually use it when I'm playing Pokémon, but I'm pleased that I'll have something to collect next week, now I'm done with StreetPass Quest and Puzzle Swap.

augmentedreality.jpg

Think the PokéBall bit is added by the game based on location of the card

Scratch that;

Impressions of Pokédex 3D from various news outlets such as GameXplain have started to come out and have elaborated a bit more into the Augmented Reality part of the game. In this bit, you use a special card, apparently different to the standard Augmented Reality cards shipped with the system, to bring the Pokémon into the real life setting. The Pokémon tend to stay stationary but activate attacks if you press the A button to throw an apple at them. You can also overlay various in-built backgrounds for the photographs. We'll bring more as it comes

http://www.gamexplain.com/article-443-1307034439-pokedex-3d-hands-on.html

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!