N-Europe

Your Best and Worst Comedians

Beast

Best

Stewart Lee - Massively intelligent, deconstructs comedy itself. He's obviously made great studies of understatement, repetition etc. What's surprising is that the results are as hilarious as they are thought-provoking.

Russell Brand - Another gargantuan intellect. To watch him on Big Brother's Big Mouth or his E4 chat show is to see an expert ringmaster in action. He's as brilliant interacting with the average joe as he is with celebrities. He also seems kind and thoughtful, and his analysis of the human spirit is rather inspiring. Add Ponderland to the list and I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a stand-up performance.

Worst

Frankie Boyle - He just seems such a horrible man, and not even funny.

Not feeling the hate for Ricky Gervais. The man vents comedy from his every pore.

As someone frequently subjected to standup and panel comedy DVDs at friends' houses (bottom of the barrel, last resort entertainment solutions), I've grown to dislike the formats immensely. I'll take an acted situation comedy over a joke machine on stage any day.

Stewart Lee - Massively intelligent, deconstructs comedy itself. He's obviously made great studies of understatement, repetition etc. What's surprising is that the results are as hilarious as they are thought-provoking.

I wouldn't call him hilarious. Yes he's funny and very clever, but his material isn't gut wrenching laughs, nor is it meant to be.

Dylan Moran is also pretty great as well, from what I've seen of him anyway, just some clips on Youtube. I'm also actually quite fond of Ricky Gervais, though I do understand why people wouldn't like him.

Dylan Moran is also pretty great as well, from what I've seen of him anyway, just some clips on Youtube. I'm also actually quite fond of Ricky Gervais, though I do understand why people wouldn't like him.

Dylan Moran! Fuck yeah I miss that guy, his stand up shows are amazing.

Forgot about him, I was pretty much listing panel guys! Ok Tommy Tiernan(lately he curses too much though) and Dylan Moran is brilliant too.

Best

Not sure I've heard of him, I thought you mean Lee Mack for ages until I finally decided to investigate :laughing:

Stewart Lee, Dylan Moran and totally, by far my favourite is Tim Key.

Tim Key.

Time Key you beautiful funny man. Be on TV more. I've seen him live 3 times and met him... I do stand up myself and I can't work out how to be as funny as this man.

Edited by Hamishmash

The majority of you have an awful taste in stand up comedy.

I like Maria Bamford, Mitch Hedberg, Neil Hamburger, Henning Wehn, Daniel Kitson, Stewart Lee, Richard Herring, Richard Pryor, Jerry Seinfeld, David Cross, Sarah Silverman.

I dislike Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle, Russell Howard/Brand, Michael Mcintyre etc etc etc.

Ross Noble is probably the worst example of stand up comedy I have ever seen. The guy is unbearable.

He's obviously an acquired taste. A bit more subtle. A comedian's comedian. He totally deserved to win the Top Prize at the Edinburgh Festival the year I went, and he did!

I pretty much turn off when people start doing jokes about pedophiles and stuff... not because I'm offended, but because it's just not funny any more. Shock humour especially is so old and lazy.