N-Europe

The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn

Hamishmash

Yeah. If you're not psyched, what's wrong with you?

tumblr_llauqjPmeC1qzpwi0o1_r1_500.jpg

First official trailer debuts tomorrow.

Basically, this is what you need to know.

Before Hergé died, he said the only person who could do his creation justice was Speilberg. Berger obviously didn't think so, so enlisted Peter Jackson to help.

Written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish (that sentence alone is one of the most beautiful in the English language) with music by John Williams and staring Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis, Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Tony Curran, Toby Jones, Mackenzie Crook and more.

But basically this is all you need to know -

This is the closest thing to Indiana Jones that Steven Speilberg has been involved with since The Last Crusade.

That seems to be everyone's concern. I guess the fact Steven Speilberg doesn't like digital 3D stuff kind of is reassurance it might be done well. The film has got a very film noir quality about it apparently, and looks like no other animated film. I also find Snowy/Milou a little dead-looking in the released stills. But we'll see tomorrow what it looks like!

I have no interest in Tintin WHATSOEVER.

But.

This film is going to.....I mean.....jesus. The talentpool makes me ejaculate.

Same, I haven't seen/read any Tintin but this surely must be incredible.

I quite like how the writers got their names on the poster in quite big letters.

Well, it isn't live-action, which means I can hear a non-English dub...*

Well, this has very good potential, I think. I'm getting hyped :grin: Though I'll only be convinced when I see Captain Haddock swearing.

*I am not implying English dubs are bad per se, but I honestly can't watch/read Franco-Belgian material in anything other than French or Portuguese, much less Tintin.

I can't stand the English names, though. In Denmark we're always had the original names ... except Tintin's dog.

So do we, except Milou is still Milou. And Prof. Tournessol's name was literally translated to "Professor Sunflower" (in Portuguese, of course)

When the original name means something and/or features puns (like the Asterix names), I understand changing the names, but what was the point in changing, say, Duppond & Duppont?

I can't explain the importance of Tintin to me. I wouldn't be doing Illustration & Animation at uni if it wasn't for Tintin and you can see it's influence in a LOT of my artwork and writing.

And I used to think he was kinda hot. Which is weird I know.

So do we, except Milou is still Milou. And Prof. Tournessol's name was literally translated to "Professor Sunflower" (in Portuguese, of course)

When the original name means something and/or features puns (like the Asterix names), I understand changing the names, but what was the point in changing, say, Duppond & Duppont?

Milou was called Terry for some strange reason. Especially considering he's not even a terrier.

Oh, and just for increased nostalgic epicness:

(In Denmark, the first few clips of the intro on the train were played simulatenously in sections divided like a comic book. I always thought that was brilliant.)

Heh I think Dutch is one of the few languages that calls Tintin something completely different (other characters not so much).

Tintin = Kuifje

Milou = Bobbie

Captain = Kapitein Haddock

Professor = Professor Zonnebloem (sunflower)

Thomson and Thompson = Jansen en Janssen

And the train station Brussels-Midi has this huge mural, which I pass every time I go see Jim/Jim comes to see me.

dyn006_original_425_567_pjpeg_31965_c56e4bd2c8e89a560266a4f7a365f6b3.jpg

Really? Smurfs movie? It's probably gonna be crap like the countless other kids cartoons given the 3D remake movie treatment. Have any of them been good??

As for Tintin, I've totally never been taken by it, so I don't think I'll really care much for this film, though it does seem to have some pretty big names attached to it. Might be interesting.

Really? Smurfs movie? It's probably gonna be crap like the countless other kids cartoons given the 3D remake movie treatment. Have any of them been good??

It's got Neil Patrick Harris in it, so that's at least a quarter of this forum committed to seeing it. :heh:

(In Denmark, the first few clips of the intro on the train were played simulatenously in sections divided like a comic book. I always thought that was brilliant.)

Oh yeah, that opening really was awesome, wasn't it? :grin:

I have no interest in Tintin WHATSOEVER.

Heathen dog!

- this is going to be ace! Just look at those names! It's a wonderful, wonderful collection of people just right for the job. I think the animated approach is going to be a good one too so really looking forward to this. Oh yus.