Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Eurovision Dusseldorf 2011

Beast

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eurovision is amazing. I think I watched it with Ine last year, or the year before? Hilarious. We had a great time.

I'm glad the songs aren't great, and that it isn't a serious competition. Its a farce. But, I love it because of that. The more ridiculous the performance, the dodgy singing and the sarcastic comments from the presenters, the better the show.

Yeah we watched it last year.

Aye even did my toooeeeewwnaaaaaiiiiiilsssss for youuuu.

Seems only mainland Europe are the only ones still taking this seriously.

I don't think many people take it seriously heh. I know over here people keep saying we shouldn't bother with it anymore... yet they always keep sending someone over heh.

Also now there's those pre-selections going on (for countries that aren't immediately qualified)... when are those?

Hhhahahahaha. That was also the one with the person from the crowd who joined in the Spanish performance, right? Were he got taken off by the police or something.

That Germany song was annoying. Also, it sounded more like toenates. Haha.

I don't think many people take it seriously heh. I know over here people keep saying we shouldn't bother with it anymore... yet they always keep sending someone over heh.

Also now there's those pre-selections going on (for countries that aren't immediately qualified)... when are those?

Tuesday and Thursday like usual.

I love it.

Yes, I know heterosexual men aren't meant to like it, but stuff it! It's a great evening's entertainment. The songs are OK, there are plenty of sexy women (who can forget last year's "Apricot Stone?") and I love the way it brings Europe together - not in a naive, hippy way, but literally.

It always makes me think we should have more live TV across Europe of European events. It's so much better than showing a crappy film. Plus, when it's finished, I always have a fantasy flight around Europe in my head!

Your view on life is depressing me, so...

I'm sorry but how did you come to the conclusion that my view on life depresses you just through me saying that I think Adele is depressing...::shrug:

I love it.

Yes, I know heterosexual men aren't meant to like it, but stuff it! It's a great evening's entertainment. The songs are OK, there are plenty of sexy women (who can forget last year's "Apricot Stone?") and I love the way it brings Europe together - not in a naive, hippy way, but literally.

It always makes me think we should have more live TV across Europe of European events. It's so much better than showing a crappy film. Plus, when it's finished, I always have a fantasy flight around Europe in my head!

I never get why straight guys say they're not meant to like Eurovision, is it because of the cheesy pop songs or something? I just say be who you want to be, like what you want to like, it's all good. : peace:

Edited by Animal
Automerged Doublepost

cheesy songs like Scooch- Flying the Flag...that was a travesty...)

Is that the one where the singers were dressed as flight attendants and flapped their arms like they were planes? Oh lord, I remember that one :grin:

This year's zero pointer: Portugal

You'll see... YOU WILL ALL SEE!

...That you're completely right :heh: Those guys got voted because they're popular comedians, and "protest songs" regained popularity around the time the contest took place.

Seems only eastern Europe are the only ones still taking this seriously.

Fix'd. Portugal does it out of tradition nowadays.

*check Wikipedia*

Portugal, Finland and Norway next Tuesday... Belgium, Denmark and Ireland next Thursday

Meh, should be fun, at least. Eurovision is always entertaining.

Lol, French zaniness and technical problems

I never get why straight guys say they're not meant to like Eurovision, is it because of the cheesy pop songs or something? I just say be who you want to be, like what you want to like, it's all good. : peace:

Just to clarify, I don't get it either, nor am I in the slightest bit ashamed that I like it. I'm only saying that people around me do say "It's camp", "It's rubbish" etc. Fools! ;)

Just to clarify, I don't get it either, nor am I in the slightest bit ashamed that I like it. I'm only saying that people around me do say "It's camp", "It's rubbish" etc. Fools! ;)

I didn't think you would be ashamed, I'm not ashamed of anything I like either and people around me tell me that watching Eurovision makes you gay...yeah...right(!). Morons! ;)

I didn't think you would be ashamed, I'm not ashamed of anything I like either and people around me tell me that watching Eurovision makes you gay...yeah...right(!). Morons! ;)

No, you've got it reversed. It's being gay that makes you watch Eurovision. ;)

People's ignorance never fail to amaze me.

That's not a good thing.

I would thank this but I can't. I can't stand people who say musicals are for gay people...HOW? Oh and only gay people watch The Wizard of Oz...people of today are just stupid beyond measure. I'll never get the way some people think, lmao.

Anyways, back on topic, does anybody remember this?

If the Portuguese get more points than the UK, then i don't know. If Jedward and the Portuguese get more points than the UK, i'll turn into the Hulk. This contest is a joke, all the Eastern EU countries vote highly for each other so they win near-enough each year.

I still think this song should have won

If the Portuguese get more points than the UK, then i don't know. If Jedward and the Portuguese get more points than the UK, i'll turn into the Hulk. This contest is a joke, all the Eastern EU countries vote highly for each other so they win near-enough each year.

The Portuguese and the Irish don't pass the semi-finals most of the time. UK gets a free pass everytime, even when they send flight attendants (If I remember, a year where Portugal didn't qualify, either)

Of course the contest is a joke as a competition. Don't take it as such, and it's much better.

I'll be watching it, usually do, guilty pleasure I guess. I keep hoping Ireland might reproduce a level of success we had in the 90's with some decent songs, Rock n Roll Kids is still one of my fav songs (not just Eurovision songs)

And what do we have this year... f'ing Jedward. To make matters worse they were actually voted to represent Ireland in a public vote. Makes me question the sanity of the majority of the public here. That or all their votes came from under 10's who obviously know jackfrak about good songs/singers.

I actually really hope they fail epicly in the qualifiers, hopefully coming last. Such a humliation should put a huge dent in them ever being seen on TV again. In one newspaper here last week, even Louis Walsh (their manager) said they prolly won't do well... that Europe won't "get them". And something about UK viewers being unable to vote for Ireland in the qualifiers should mean they get very few votes. If by some miracle they get to the main show I fear they may indeed get support from their UK fans.

But if Europe didn't get "Dustin the Turkey" a few years ago, hopefully they won't get Jedward either.

Haven't listened to any other entries, never do before the show, I like to just wait for the event. Is there any country with a good Rock song this year? I still remember when Lordi upset the order of things by winning in 2006. I remember the news reports beforehand thinking they would be a joke cuz of their costumes. And the shock horror in the Irish commentators voice when they kept getting high points was priceless.

Oh and is the voting still 50% public 50% Judges again?

Rock 'n' Roll Kids from 1994 - Just love the emotion in that song, why can't we come up with something as great as that again?

Dustin the Turkey 2008 - Can't believe this didn't get past the qualifiers, it was actually a good joke song (which seemed to do well for a few previous years for others), even the critics had expected it to do better.

I think the show sold out in 1997 when they brought the televoting system in. Don't ask me why but since then Ireland went from consecutive wins to constant "bottom 5" placing.. Lol guess Europe doesn't like us :)

OH well least we'll get the English vote for Jedward anyway.

I think the show sold out in 1997 when they brought the televoting system in. Don't ask me why but since then Ireland went from consecutive wins to constant "bottom 5" placing.. Lol guess Europe doesn't like us :)

OH well least we'll get the English vote for Jedward anyway.

Your placing has never had anything to do with the voting system.

Absolutely does. We don't have any neighbouring countries besides the good ol UK. What you think it's still about the music ?:D

Sorry if it's a negative view on things. THAT being said however, I cannot name an irish song that has deserved to win since, but going from winning in 92, 93, 94 and then 96 to stopping dramatically forever is something. I'm also CONVINCED Ireland don't want to host the damn thing anyway.

I love watching this show for the piss-take really. Its ok if you don't take it seriously and most people don't :)

the thing with the tellevoting is not only are the public more likely to vote for a neighbouring country regardless of song, it also means anyone working/living aboard can vote for their home country and mess with the results. Take Ireland for example, last few years I've noticed we've given high points to the same eastern countries, like Poland, Solvakia. Anything to do with there being large numbers of them living here?

They should go back to just judge votes or at least reduce further the percentage the public vote counts for... say 10% maybe :heh:

i'm sure there's Irish and others in other countries voting for their country, but no other nationalities seem to make a big enough impact on one countries vote as eastern nationalities seem to do

Edited by Mokong

I don't think Ireland can afford to host the thing anyway.. so er... please don't vote jedward

Don't worry they won't get past the qualifiers :indeed:

i expect mainland Europe to have a bit more sense than the Irish and British when it comes to Jedward :heh:

The songs that wins usually deserved to win anyway, neighbhouring countries or not. I remember someone counting the western points given to Serbia the year they won. Serbia still won when only western points counted. (unless I'm mistaken Norway got second or top 5 with a rock song that Finland built on the following year to win)

Personally I think the "they only vote for each other" has been given too much focus. The 50-50 voting they introduced is a good thing yes, but then people really should stop bringing in neighbour votes everytime like it's decide the ranking of all 40+ countries. I hate it when the commentators have to say "and this eastern european country has a lot of neighbours and emmigrants so they will get a lot of point just watch". Maybe it's just a good song and people like it. Maybe Ireland and UK ends low because they consistently sends awful songs. I have never voted for other Scandinavian countries unless I like the song. I'm confident that the rankings are always more and less correct bar a few placements. No way neighbour voting alone shoves you to the other end of the table.

I agree that neighbouring voting is a bit of a plague in the contest, but... to say that western countries never get votes is silly.

Portugal (who has emigrants in Spain, France, Iceland, Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland) never did well. We do get votes from those countries, but it sure never helped anything.

And we even had a few good songs recently (though not now :heh:)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!