NEurope
Goafer

Funny Stuff Thread

I know, some people think it's fine to throw the insults that way. And even the "nice" ones of us do have a limit. Obviously if i have offended, i apologize as well.

Edit: from having a good read of Rez's comment, it would seem that the community seems to be dying all around us. It does need to change, even i've noticed it isn't the same anymore as it once was. Time to bring the community back, and i shall begin with that.

Edited by Jimbob

To be honest I can't really think of anyone that's left that I really miss. If anything the forum has been refined.

There are a few people i miss seeing around, wouldn't mind seeing them online again one day.

Edit: this is the funny-stuff thread, let there be humour!!!

Edited by Jimbob

There might not be any particular members that you miss, but without sufficient numbers (and activity) it's not really a community, more of a clique.

You used to be unflappable.

That's the most stupid sounding word I've ever heard.

Fair enough. I and others thought it was pretty funny, thought you folk would too.

Edit;

You know what? Fuck it. You guys can fuck off. This kind of shit is the sole reason that people keep leaving this place, and people are coming on less. I post one little post, as I thought it was funny, others thought it was funny, and because its a free fucking country and this is the funny stuff thread. People on FB liked it, people at worked like it, and some people here even liked it @Jimbob.

And what do I get met with? "Why is this funny? Because its you?" oh...fucking sorry for posting something I did instead of copying and pasting from Reddit (not that there is even anything wrong with that). You don't reply to every single thing people post in this thread listing the reasons why you personally don't find it funny.

Everyone thinks its fine to just completely lay into anything I do because I'm a lighthearted guy? It stops being funny really quickly. In fact, it stopped being funny years ago.

This horrible clicky, mocking every thing anyone ever says is bullshit, the kind of replies some people constantly receive on here is practically bullying, and the holier than though attitude of some members makes me vomit.

Oh ReZ, you're so funny.

EDIT: Dammit, Moogle kinda made that joke.

There might not be any particular members that you miss, but without sufficient numbers (and activity) it's not really a community, more of a clique.

That's the most stupid sounding word I've ever heard.

He meant unfappable.

Fair enough. I and others thought it was pretty funny, thought you folk would too.

Edit;

You know what? Fuck it. You guys can fuck off. This kind of shit is the sole reason that people keep leaving this place, and people are coming on less. I post one little post, as I thought it was funny, others thought it was funny, and because its a free fucking country and this is the funny stuff thread. People on FB liked it, people at worked like it, and some people here even liked it @Jimbob.

And what do I get met with? "Why is this funny? Because its you?" oh...fucking sorry for posting something I did instead of copying and pasting from Reddit (not that there is even anything wrong with that). You don't reply to every single thing people post in this thread listing the reasons why you personally don't find it funny.

Everyone thinks its fine to just completely lay into anything I do because I'm a lighthearted guy? It stops being funny really quickly. In fact, it stopped being funny years ago.

This horrible clicky, mocking every thing anyone ever says is bullshit, the kind of replies some people constantly receive on here is practically bullying, and the holier than though attitude of some members makes me vomit.

I know this isn't directed directly in my direction, but I have a feeling I'm indirectly indicated... indeed.

As someone who 'liked' Diageo's post, I have to admit that I was liking his post because it made me laugh, not because I wanted to pile on the pressure that you are feeling, here. I was under the impression that you welcomed the eye-rolls and sighs (I mean your signature has you calling yourself a moron). While I do think there's a discrepency between demanding the rights to free speech whilst denouncing someone else's free speech, I do have to agree that there should be a basic cameraderie that underpins any comments with an unsaid "but I love you really" -- and that's gone out the window on here a long time ago. I have sensed it between myself and others, and I know you have as well.

I have tried to stop 'constructive' criticism of the things you do, because I know it's not helpful at all anymore. I know I posted something harsh on your fb wall a couple of months ago and I know you've not forgotten it (along with goafer/happenstance maintaining their self-imposed exile, which I'm certain they blame me for entirely, and with your proximity to them - I'm not sure anyone would've been defending me in that situation)...

I know you think little of what I have to say, these days, I just wanted you to know that as well as certain members being perennial sour-pusses, seasonal pessimists and so on, there are also certain members that used to post interesting contributions to any thread but now seem to appear just to self-promote. While it would be good-natured to support the community in their endeavours, there is a line somewere, isn't there?

On the one hand you are making rape jokes, abortion jokes, child molestion jokes, child abuse jokes, and on the other hand you're complainig that people are vocally saying "that's not funny" is an opinion that should be suppressed.

I do want to say sorry, though. Up 'til now, you've never even hinted at being uncomfortable with the negative comments. I can see there is a difference between constructive criticism and the comments which could easily be called bullying, and I think that you are right and there is no need for the latter. I do also want to stress that there is a lot less intention to upset you than you may have assumed, again this is because the assumption up 'til now has been that you wear your think skin with pride, and that you actively invite such comments. I will personally make sure I'm not just pissing on you (just as I'm making sure to avoid your stuff because, honestly, I don't find rape/etc funny. Doesn't mean that you aren't funny, so don't take it to heart).

[/trying to walk fine line]

Edit;

I don't know what you got from the "because it's you?" bit, but I was just generally wondering if the humour was in that you were impersonating Clare, in that Clare wrote that specific conversation herself or from the responses that Di was giving.

I wasn't sure on where to focus my attention, since it was quite long.

The evidence that I apparently entertained two people in the process because they thought I was insulting you I find funny as well. Apparently there some social politics I wasn't aware of and now people are angry with each other and somewhat irritable, of which I was not aware of. I agree with jayseven though that you do appear to take self-mockery as a theme, so I didn't try to moderate every possible interpretation of what I said to spare hurt feelings.

Edited by Diageo

Edit;

You know what? Fuck it. You guys can fuck off. This kind of shit is the sole reason that people keep leaving this place, and people are coming on less. I post one little post, as I thought it was funny, others thought it was funny, and because its a free fucking country and this is the funny stuff thread. People on FB liked it, people at worked like it, and some people here even liked it Jimbob.

If I'm among the people that disrespected you at some point, I apologize. Especially, since I know how tiring being the "butt monkey" of jokes gets.

Though for the record, I don't think that conversation you posted was funny, either, it sounded fairly normal to me.

I actually thought it was frigging hilarious, but then both myself and Rez come from a call centre/customer service type background... I think honestly that this place has gone to shit recently, more and more people getting on their high horses.. One cannot post anything without fear of being spellchecked, grammatically corrected or just insulted/patronised.

You might post shit people don't like (and I'm not even your greatest fan) but you're still fucking awesome @ReZourceman

He meant unfappable.

That would imply that he's fappable right now. So certainly not.

Edit;

haha awesome and so true too :)

Some people need to grow up. Sometimes maybe take a moment to realise that you're not as smart as you think you are ...maybe...?

Well, personally I think it was a legit question from Diageo. You're known to be a funny guy, so of course everyone expected there to be at least some kind of (hidden) joke in that conversation. Furthermore, you didn't set it up in any way. Was it really Claire, you pretending to be her, or what? So compared to your typical funny posts, this seemed quite out of place, hence the reactions.

Well about damn time. When you were more active here, I always wondered that why on earth did you take all that shit without saying anything. People bashing you left and right. Was it part of being a "clown" or what? Although, it doesn't really help that in your signature you call yourself a "moron", now does it...?

Well the question is, who are these people, and what examples of bullying are there? I mean a lot of people have aired these same grievances, but it's always in very vague and general terms, i.e. impossible to tell who/what they mean. Personally, this is starting to piss me off a little, because you guys don't give any clear examples of what exactly is troubling you. "Some people do this" and "some people do that" -kind of allegations undermine the whole forum, because everyone then starts to wonder whether they're the "shitheads" or "bullies" or whatnot. "Does that guy have a problem with me; if so, why doesn't he say it?" Indeed, why?

haha awesome and so true too :)

Some people need to grow up. Sometimes maybe take a moment to realise that you're not as smart as you think you are ...maybe...?

What? Did I miss the part where people tried to be smart?

I think I have stepped into the twilight zone or something here. ReZ becoming sensitive and taking offence for the first time in his life, and there seemingly being some pre-existing forum rule that you can't suggest something isn't funny.

For the record, I'm not talking about me getting bullied on here, thats ludicrous, just that more and more comments I see from more people, to other people seem as such, - apologies aren't necessary, I just wanted to get that off my chest because I (and Goafer and Happenstance) are not the only ones I've spoken to about this place recently.

I know I posted something harsh on your fb wall a couple of months ago and I know you've not forgotten it

I genuinely don't know which post you're talking about.

I know you think little of what I have to say' date=' these days, I just wanted you to know that as well as certain members being perennial sour-pusses, seasonal pessimists and so on, there are also certain members that used to post interesting contributions to any thread but now seem to appear just to self-promote. While it would be good-natured to support the community in their endeavours, there is a line somewere, isn't there?[/quote']

I think that is a little unfair. A large part of why I am not around here as much is time. Its gone down shit loads since I got a full time job again. I always have and always will post my shit in the relevant threads here, but I've also added to plenty of threads recently (albeit smaller posts) but its a time thing.

On the one hand you are making rape jokes' date=' abortion jokes, child molestion jokes, child abuse jokes, and on the other hand you're complainig that people are vocally saying "that's not funny" is an opinion that should be suppressed.[/quote']

You know full well that is not what I said, Mr Twisty!

Doesn't mean that you aren't funny' date=' so don't take it to heart).[/quote']

Come on Jay, you know how big headed I am. I'm a realist, and I'm honest. I am overweight and visually parts of my disgust me. Honest. I am fucking hilarious - true. I make people laugh constantly, and I've been told as much etc, so I am certainly not hurt by the prospect of me not being funny.

I want to clarify, my outburst wasn't about me (of course it was part of it), but its more the gentle crumbling of my once beloved community, and that friendly sense of spirit that seems to have dwindled dramatically. :(

Well the question is, who are these people, and what examples of bullying are there? I mean a lot of people have aired these same grievances, but it's always in very vague and general terms, i.e. impossible to tell who/what they mean. Personally, this is starting to piss me off a little, because you guys don't give any clear examples of what exactly is troubling you. "Some people do this" and "some people do that" -kind of allegations undermine the whole forum, because everyone then starts to wonder whether they're the "shitheads" or "bullies" or whatnot. "Does that guy have a problem with me; if so, why doesn't he say it?" Indeed, why?

There is too many to count, both in terms of members, attitudes and posts. Its the community spirit, its in the god damn FEELING of this place. I will say one thing that I've found uncomfortable though, and thats some of the replies to Serebii in the dating thread. There is giving friendly advice, and then there is ripping into a guy who isn't having a great time.

Its all just really fucking sour.

Sorry in advance that I can't explain myself well enough.

Serebii mostly refuses people's good advice though based on silly reasons. Like saying (in not so many words, and for a long time) that internet dating was sad, then eventually taking it up. It's like trying to help someone who often won't help himself.

Also I feel you're coming across as miserable and whiny, which is why I find it ironic that you're criticising the attitude of other members.

OK, let me get this out now. Mainly because I feel the need to say so. How many of you here are yourselves online, or are you being someone else online. Can you safely say what you say here, Twitter or facebook can you say to that persons face.

OK, let me get this out now. Mainly because I feel the need to say so. How many of you here are yourselves online, or are you being someone else online. Can you safely say what you say here, Twitter or facebook can you say to that persons face.

I must confess, in real life I am also skeletal with the ability to run on water.

I don't deviate particularly far from who am I in person, but there are obvious differences. For one, with people you come into regular contact with or having a conversation with one particular person, you require a certain level of amicability and filtering because you require that person to hold the conversation with you at the time or on several occasions. So if you were honest in your opinion all the time, you would potentially alienate people you require for social interaction.

Forums are different. It's not like an IM conversation or a phone call. It's basically a wall that everyone draws on reads when they walk past. You don't require the same sort of rapport because you are not talking to one person, or trying to keep up a conversation, but just adding to the pile. If someone doesn't like what you say they have the choice to voice it or ignore it. If ignored you may notice but probably won't and everything will continue as normal, with people still throwing their words on the wall. If on the other hand, someone voices their opinion, then it can turn into a sort of conversation, but it already has a spark of negativity. Then you can basically release whatever you want at each other because you are not required to converse with this person for a set period of time or sequence of encounters.

So as these are two completely different environments, it would be unwise to expect that people would interact in the same manner. And then you can add the fact that it's a text based communication and all the changes that brings. I don't understand why people would assume it would be similar to real life interactions or want it to be.

@ReZourceman People love mocking each other "for laughs". I'm pretty sure the reason a lot of it is directed towards you is that you appear to be the most accepting of it all - people see your posts and think "he'll see the funny side if I make fun of it". You have to admit that, at least a couple of times, you have encouraged this sort of behaviour towards yourself.

I don't think any of it is supposed to be mean at all - the meet-up earlier this year should have shown how much you're actually respected around here - you were effectively put in charge.

Oh I expect differences, mine are slight. I do hold part back in respect of others. But who you see here from me, is what I am personally to everyone. As I said, part of me is held back. If I said it all, everyone will hate me.

Probably missed lots of draamaaa while I typed this.

For the record, I'm not talking about me getting bullied on here, thats ludicrous, just that more and more comments I see from more people, to other people seem as such, - apologies aren't necessary, I just wanted to get that off my chest because I (and Goafer and Happenstance) are not the only ones I've spoken to about this place recently.
I appreciate your reply, ReZ.

The boards have been around a fair while, and I can promise you that at least once a year we have to hold a candle to what used to be. We have lost a staggering amount of good members, moments and threads. I'm beyond mourning each one.

When one member's posts slow down it has a domino effect. I think it's fair to say that Overly Optimistic people have been simmering over the last few months (bluey reappeared briefly the other day! CB's busy with uni. Flink is here but busy, too) and that has an affect, I think. Otherwise, I think it's just a case of once you notice the posts you mention, you can't stop seeing them.

I genuinely don't know which post you're talking about.

You posted about discovering sultanas and I said the status was boring. It's been eating away at me :P

I think that is a little unfair. A large part of why I am not around here as much is time. Its gone down shit loads since I got a full time job again. I always have and always will post my shit in the relevant threads here, but I've also added to plenty of threads recently (albeit smaller posts) but its a time thing.
You aren't the primary person I think of when I say that, but I do appreciate what you're saying -- and I want to reiterate it, too. It's a time thing. Can't hate on that.

You know full well that is not what I said, Mr Twisty!
As an aside, my current 'phase' in life is, actually, the quiet, too-aware guy who only sees hypocracy everywhere he looks. I twist the words but the meanings, why, they were already that curly! The whole offense/offended debate is another story, and something I need to reaffirm my stance on -- and not really something applicable here (aside from the fact that you're getting offended on one hand, whilst purposefully aiming to offend on the other, which is the hypocritical thing I see here!)

Come on Jay, you know how big headed I am. I'm a realist, and I'm honest. I am overweight and visually parts of my disgust me. Honest. I am fucking hilarious - true. I make people laugh constantly, and I've been told as much etc, so I am certainly not hurt by the prospect of me not being funny.
I think you breathe attention like I breathe cider. You don't need to use people's laughter as a crutch to make up for your self-loathing. You need to accept who you are, or alter it. This is coming from another (albeit slightly) overweight and visually disgusing bro who hates himself. And, remember, I'm not hilarious.

I want to clarify, my outburst wasn't about me (of course it was part of it), but its more the gentle crumbling of my once beloved community, and that friendly sense of spirit that seems to have dwindled dramatically. :(
I think that spirit is still here and still strong, it's just not where you left it. Consider the responses you're getting now - people reach out.

I think this is an excellent post, and a great point to raise as it's something that's been bothering me for a long time!

This forum used to be where I came to be myself. Then I hit 17/18 and decided fuck it, I'll be myself irl! So I went full-awesome and quickly earned a load of cool friends, got a job, got a girlfriend, and got high a lot.

What was sacrificed, ironically, was the forum itself; the catalyst for me coming out of my shell. I disappear for a year, move in with Shorty, make irl friends with a bunch of the sheffield forumers. Then real life is mixing with my forum identity... so while I'd taken my forum attitude to the big ol' outdoors, I no longer had that hide-away, reclusive spot; the domains were shared. It's like when your mum or your dad friend you on facebook and you have to stop posting pictures of you drunk and naked.. or stop getting drunk and naked.

So now what's happened is I've slowly become afraid to talk (read: bitch) about anything anywhere in case someone reads it and tells someone, or something! This has occurred in many circles of my life for many reasons, to the extent where I don't really feel purely like I'm being me anywhere, just being a shard here and a straggle there.

N-E is the unifying core. I can see how I've changed in 10 years. I can see how others have changed in 10 years. It's why there's no point saying "the forum's gotten worse" - it's always been 'bad' if you want to see it that way. I dunno. Rambling now. I wanna read what others have written so I'll stop now.

Ultimately I feel more connected to N-E than I feel wanted by N-E - but that's that. Maybe that'll change (again) in 6 months, a year, or 5.

Further to what I said: I've noticed that when a group of friends gets pretty close, the whole "banter" process starts - people take the mick out of each other at any given opportunity.

I think that's kind of what's happened here - we're quite a small (but active) community, and a lot of us have been visiting here for a very long time. I think a similar thing has happened to the forums in general - we've grown accustomed to each other.

The big problem is that these kind of comments really don't portray well without seeing/hearing the emotion behind it - the tone of voice or smirk on the person's face. In addition, it looks very, very unappealing to outsiders (which is particularly bad when it's all written down for everyone to see).

(Great, now I've gone all philosophical about the whole situation)

As for how I am here an in real life, I think I'm pretty similar. I don't try to be any different anywhere.