NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I have watched a lot of movies recently:

Johnny English Reborn:

600full-johnny-english-reborn-poster.jpg

Silly and rubbish but I had fun. The after credits scene is the most fun in the entire movie. :)

How Do You Know:

600full-how-do-you-know-poster.jpg

Play dough will get you the spoon.

Empire Records

600full-empire-records-poster.jpg

STOP CALLING ME WARREN. Very 90's film. I enjoyed its smugness/wish it was better.

Meet The Feebles

600full-meet-the-feebles-poster.jpg

Grotesque nonsense. Hell in puppet form. :p B R U T A L.

Silence of the Lambs.

600full-the-silence-of-the-lambs-poster.jpg

Good. Not great! First half is near perfect. It's let down by the second half. Still a solid film.

Annie Hall

600full-annie-hall-poster.jpg

Original 500 Days Of Summer + Larry David the movie. I loved its style.

Monte Carlo

600full-monte-carlo-poster.jpg

Cute Crap.

Whatever Works

600full-whatever-works-poster.jpg

Larry David being Schmohawk for an hour and a half. Isla, Evan Rachel Woods is great. :D

The Lookout

600full-the-lookout-poster.jpg

average. JGL remains cool in this standard movie. I HAVE THE MONEY. I HAVE THE POWER.

Aeon Flux

600full-aeon-flux-poster.jpg

SO BAD. but yay Charlize Theron!

Valentines Day

600full-valentine%27s-day-poster.jpg

Jessica Biel. :heart: It was amusing and light hearted. I love celebrities.

____

Those are the new movies are watched. Scott Pilgrim and Tangled were also consumed on Bluray yesterday BOTH were shiny. :grin:

Rented some films over the weekend with my cousin who was down visiting (due to my Caprica boxset not arriving in time)

Anyway yesterday we had a bit of a freaky moment by getting two films with the same actress and didn't know. The actress also shared the same name as his wife, Rose Byrne.

We were looking for some horror films and I picked up Insidious and when we looked on the back we saw the actress name "Rose Byrne" and had a bit of a laugh about it and decided to get that as neither of us had seen it and I had heard it was good. We also picked up X-Men First Class as he hadn't seen it yet and wanted to.

Now I had seen X-Men: FC already but was unaware of some actor/actress' real names.... mainly that Moria was played by the same Rose Byrne.

We watched X-Men first leaving Insidious till after dinner and after it got dark, when the film finished and I was looking for the remote control the credits started then up on the screen in big letters comes "Rose Byrne".

We looked at each other, laughed again that his wife was in the film. Then we wait "wait a minute... we didn't see the name Rose Byrne on the back of the X-Men box.... it was on the other film"

Prolly doesn't sound as exciting reading it, one of those "had to be there" moments, but we got a good laugh out of it, haha

618_movies_we_need_to_talk_about_kevin_1.jpg

Really, staggering. Two hours later and I still feel emotionally drained. Tilda Swindon is amazing. Go see it.

Annie Hall

600full-annie-hall-poster.jpg

Original 500 Days Of Summer + Larry David the movie. I loved its style.

:heart:00000000

Had to force myself to read We Need To Talk About Kevin yeaars ago. Didn't enjoy it. Massively sentimental and dull.

Recently I've rediscovered I have a Movie Mindfuck collection. Couldn't remember which I'd seen or not seen, and after many "oh yeah, saw this" moments I watched One point O, a low-budget dystopian future that is the sort of thing you recommend to someone who's seen Brazil or Dark City. Except way, way more dull. Lots of nice little touches and a general kafkaesque feel, but just... forced and narrow and, despite being a little thought provoking, doesn't actually answer anything.

Really want some new 'mindfuck' movie suggestions. Here's the movies in the pack I have (as in, movies I've seen);

12 monkeys

A Beautiful Mind

A Clockwork Orange

Adaptation

American Psycho

Barton Fink

Being John Malkovich

Brazil

Cypher

Dark City

Dead Mans Shoes

Donnie Darko

Eraserhead

Eternal Sunshine

eXistenZ

Fight Club

Frailty

Identity

In The Mouth Of Madness

Jacobs Ladder

Lost Highway

Lucky Number Sleven

Memento

Mulholland Drive

Naked Lunch

Oldboy

One Hour Photo

One Point O

Pi

Pink Floyd the Wall (Not Watched)

Primer

Rashomon (Not Watched)

Requiem For A Dream

Revolver (Lol not seen, will watch next. At least until I realise I have seen it)

Scanners

Session 9

Spellbound

Spider

Spun Limited

Synechdoche New York (Not seen it yet because it's too quiet for me so I guess I need to 'get' it again)

The 13th Floor (Not sure if I've seen it...)

The Butterfly Effect

The Fountain

The Game

The Illusionist

The Jacket

The Machinist

The Number 23

The Others

The Prestige

The Sixth Sense

The Usual Suspects

Total Recall

Vanilla Sky

Videodrome

Waking Life

What Dreams May Come.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I suppose I just wait until a thematic idea gets my attention.

American Werewolf In London

194534.1020.A.jpg

This can't have ever of been good?

Silly and very dated now.

The Orphanage

the-orphanage-poster.jpg

cute. It avoid a lot of horror pitfalls and was actually rather compelling. :)

Monsterwolf

monsterwolfl.jpg

This can't be real, I refuse to believe what I saw was a film. :p That said it's the hardest I have laughed in a good while and I recommend everyone to watch it! :grin:

*takes out a little notebook*

*glares at coolness*

*crosses something out*

*shakes head*

*mean face*

*walks away*

I don't know what that means. :heh:

Nick and Norah's infinite playlist

070808_nickandnorahs_th.jpg

Kat Dennings. :heart: The rest was just bad, It couldn't decide what film it wanted to be so failed to be anything interesting. :)

Really, staggering. Two hours later and I still feel emotionally drained. Tilda Swindon is amazing. Go see it.

I too am just back from

We-Need-to-Talk-About-Kevin-poster.jpg

Really, really brilliant, and yeah...left me with the signature dry throat of an intense film.

Very powerful and just...really good. Loved how it was structured...felt like an artist had it all on a palette and was applying it in the most interesting way to the composition.

Gorge. Tilda is a real good one.

I don't know what that means. :heh:

Nick and Norah's infinite playlist

070808_nickandnorahs_th.jpg

Kat Dennings. :heart: The rest was just bad, It couldn't decide what film it wanted to be so failed to be anything interesting. :)

The book is amazing. They should've kept the profanity when writing the movie, really. My favourite people in are The Jerk-Offs. :D

--

We need to talk about Kevin actually looks good, "Kevin" looks creepy and I've always wanted to watch Tilda Swinton in something other than Narnia. Is it gory at all? Or more of a thriller?

We need to talk about Kevin actually looks good, "Kevin" looks creepy and I've always wanted to watch Tilda Swinton in something other than Narnia. Is it gory at all? Or more of a thriller?

It's neither. It's an incredibly intense piece of drama. Go see it. Now. It's a film that isn't just a diversion, it's worth it to see.

Tilda Swinton is a fantastic actress who I enjoy in everything I've seen her in - I love how she can court Hollywood and do whatever indie stuff she feels like too. She comes from an indie/art-film background, having worked with people like Jarman and Potter and stuff...so it always feels like whatever she's in, she sees some sort of artistic merit to it. That said, havent seen Narnia, and am dubious about it's artistic merit. :p

He's fine but doesn't really have much room to do much other than act as a counterpoint to Tilda's character. But it works.

conan.jpg

I thought it would suck but it was awesome. Didn't think Arnold could really be replaced as Conan, this dude blew him out of the water. A lot of bloody fun.

Snow White and the Huntsman Trailer

Obviously Chris Hemsworth FTW!

Actually looks kinda good... I mean I can't see myself going to watch it, but it wasn't what I was expecting from this... not that I've been following it or anything.

Loving the visual style and design of it.

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah looks (literally) stunning.

And I'm so in the mood for Snow White as a thing. And the music.

I'm reminded of Rita though (Thereon's character in Arrested Development).

There Is Something About Kevin.

When did it come out? Out of all the cinemas around me there (was) ONE showing it, and it had a total of ONE showing, yesterday. :/

Does seem strange that they set up production of Snow White for a summer release though?!

... actually, as I was typing that I remembered The Hobbit is gonna own Christmas 2012! So somewhat makes sense! :p

Whatever Works

600full-whatever-works-poster.jpg

Larry David being Schmohawk for an hour and a half. Isla, Evan Rachel Woods is great. :D

:

LOVE this movie. I can relate to Larry David's character in this so much.

In Time

In-Time-Poster_4-280x411.jpg

Great concept, carried out averagely. Surprisingly not crap though. :)

Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir_Dogs_Game_PS2_Front_Cover.JPG

Great. You can tell it's Quentin Tarintinos Debut but I enjoyed its crudeness. :D

I miss the old movie thread! Someone would've recommended me a movie in that one.

I stopped venturing here. :heh:

But I'll take a gander at your list once I'm home, I'm at my gf's parents' house.