NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I need to see all 3 of those.

---

I did the film quiz at Cinema society the other day (I won the previous one and got Into The Wild and Black Swan on DVD, which was stunning as I wanted both!), and this time I came joint second/did a sudden death thing and I won The Game by David Fincher, which I'd never even heard of.

It was of good quality as it's Fincher, but wasn't stunning like a lot of his work. Parts were "Ah!" and it had an appealing concept/was fine.

Watched The Happening, all the way through. That M Night Shamalan is still allowed to make movies is one of the great mysteries of our age. There's a chase scene with wind for god's sake.

The worst part? South Park did it first - except South Park knew how ridiculous the whole concept was - Sahamamamamlamalam clearly did not.

I was off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz.

Always fun to see a classic on the big screen, even when it only fills up half of it. It has been a while for me since I last saw it, it was nice too see the source of various references. Bit of the score was sampled by the Beastie Boys. Too bad the cinema fucked up by adding an intermission to it.

Also saw a new film, Carnage. Great cast, haven’t seen Jodie Foster in a while. I appreciated the dry humour, and awkwardness of the situation, but I’m sure this film isn’t going to be for everyone. It’s just 4 people having a (ridiculous) discussion in a room. That’s what you’re watching for 90 minutes. It’s all dialogue. Fun to watch, but not something I’d consider an absolute must-see.

Edited by Sméagol

So one of my workmates got me Al Pacino's Scarface, which is one of my favourite movies ever and also one that I haven't watched in a long time and I still love it now. The last time I watched this was when I was 14 I think and watching it now felt like I was saying hello to an old friend I haven't spoken to in years. Love it when movies make you feel like that, lmao.

I also saw The Inbetweeners Movie which I obviously love to death and still find hilarious after the fourth or fifth time of watching it.

And last but not least by far, I also seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes which is truly amazing. Loved every second of it. I might watch the old quadrilogy but I'm not too sure whether I'd like it. Suggestions?

And last but not least by far, I also seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes which is truly amazing. Loved every second of it. I might watch the old quadrilogy but I'm not too sure whether I'd like it. Suggestions?

quadrilogy

quadrilogy

quadrilogy

Raisins_Face.jpg?1286515652

Planet of the Apes

Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Escape from the Planet of the Apes

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (basically, Rise is a remake of this)

Battle for the Planet of the Apes

They are flipping awful.

They are flipping awful.

Booooo.

The originals are great stuff. I love them. They do progressively get worse, mind.

The first two are actually quite good on many different levels. There are some parallels that could be drawn to social statuses in our own world, which apply to the apes in the film.

The chimpanzees are seen as inferior to the other "species", yet they are peaceful and quite pacifistic.

The orang-utans are seen as protectors/defenders of the faith. Dr Zaius in particular is pretty patronising, and you can see that they are on a higher level than the chimpanzees. Their role is to keep the apes on top, above man.

Then, you have the Guerillas. Aptly named, as they are fighters and quite brutish. Their role is to expand and to invade the land of others (which they do in the second by expanding into the forbidden zone.)

I quite enjoy the first two films in particular as there's quite a few issues there that are interesting. It works on many levels. It can be taken as a silly film in which people dress up as apes, it can be taken as a serious pioneer of science fiction film-making, or it can be seen as a social-political commentary.

The third, fourth and (in particular) the fifth film is where it does get drawn out a bit and takes on a different angle. I actually love the fourth/Conquest, because it's just...pretty interesting. It's interesting to see:

Its interesting to see how the apes are treated by humans and how that leads to their uprising. Again, there's parallels that can be drawn to slavery, particularly the notion of the slave defeating the master

I'm a big fan of the original films. Less so of the fifth/final/Battle film, because it's just not that well done. It's a bit sloppy.

Definitely see the first two if you have the chance, then after that decide for yourselves about the rest.

It was Earth all along

The last few days I've watched

The Muppets Christmas Carol. Brilliant. Still.

The Town. Better than expected. Pretty decent.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Amazing.

The Christmas Carol. Disney one with Jim Carey. Pretty good. Nothing on the Muppets.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is GREAT btw!! :D

Go see it!!!!

Also, Aladdin was just on TV!!

Still looks brilliant, is properly funny, and great songs, definately my second favourite Disney Film to the Lion King! #ShiningShimmeringSplendid! :)

Edited by Retro_Link

I keep catching bits and pieces of Insidious as I wander in and out of the living room. It looks terrible. The make-up of the "ghosts" looks like Euro shop Hallowe'en make-up. Hell, I think the SFX kit I bought once was better quality than what the make-up artists used in the movie. It seems terribly generic too, and the female protagonist looks anorexic. SO PREDICTABLE. Why can't they turn on all of the lights/stay in pairs/not employ obvious cues/etc. Meanwhile my sister is clutching my mum's arm and shrinking into the couch. How is this scary... :|

But then, I watched Iron Man 2 (for the 10000th time) and The Expendables (so many action heroes in one movie *___*) before this, which I suppose amplifies the disdain I feel :heh:

Just watched Final Destination 5. Loved it. Still not as creepy as the first three but pretty much a return to form. Hysterical slapstick death. I read the next two are being filmed back to back.

Cannot wait.

I keep catching bits and pieces of Insidious as I wander in and out of the living room. It looks terrible. The make-up of the "ghosts" looks like Euro shop Hallowe'en make-up. Hell, I think the SFX kit I bought once was better quality than what the make-up artists used in the movie. It seems terribly generic too, and the female protagonist looks anorexic. SO PREDICTABLE. Why can't they turn on all of the lights/stay in pairs/not employ obvious cues/etc. Meanwhile my sister is clutching my mum's arm and shrinking into the couch. How is this scary... :|

But then, I watched Iron Man 2 (for the 10000th time) and The Expendables (so many action heroes in one movie *___*) before this, which I suppose amplifies the disdain I feel :heh:

Insidious is fricking great.

Insidious is fricking great.

How?? I'm not being nasty for the sake of it, I really don't see what people enjoy about it :blank:

How?? I'm not being nasty for the sake of it, I really don't see what people enjoy about it :blank:

It's one of those movies that can truly be called a horror movie and the best thing about it is that it can truly creep or scare the audience without the use of blood or guts being flung around the place. Insidious is great, watch it again in the dark by yourself to appreciate it more! :D

Anyways, I watched The Hangover: Part II last night and I thought it was pretty funny but I feel that the first one is better. I also saw Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, a classic.

Just watched Final Destination 5. Loved it. Still not as creepy as the first three but pretty much a return to form. Hysterical slapstick death. I read the next two are being filmed back to back.

Cannot wait.

Eww!

I'm watching 5nal Destination now. No one has died since the premonition, but so far it seems like the good old Final Destination fun so far.

It's one of those movies that can truly be called a horror movie and the best thing about it is that it can truly creep or scare the audience without the use of blood or guts being flung around the place. Insidious is great, watch it again in the dark by yourself to appreciate it more! :D

Please watch The Others and The Skeleton Key :heh:

And

there was a bloody handprint on the kid's sheets!

/childishly not backing down :D

It's a pretty by-the-numbers horror film which has some nice touches and an absolutely abysmal pantomime last third.

I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

Please watch The Others and The Skeleton Key :heh:

And

there was a bloody handprint on the kid's sheets!

/childishly not backing down :D

I have and enjoyed both and since you mention those movies, it leaves me clueless as to why you like those and not this! :p

Although I will say this about Final Destination 5, it's a hell of a lot better than The Final Destination!

Haha...differing tastes ahoy :) Those are two of the only horror movies I've seen so far that have managed to scare me, along with The Ring (US)!

Watched Heartbeats (twice, I'm so stunned. The second time less so, but I noticed stunning things and can now fully appreciate the interview scenes / Francis is absolutely,completely,wholly everything to me.) 9

Heartbeats_Film_2010_5489_poster.jpg

Watchmen The second time I've seen it. I kind of hate. The first time in the cinema felt good/fine, because it was big and loud and bold. This time, once you're over it, and realise you want to kill Zack Snyder, and are ready to fully analyse the story, you're just kinda like "..." It feels like it should have just been left as a book. 5

watchmen-14.jpg

I've watched many a film over the Christmas period (like most). It's my plan to give a quality synapse of each soon on N-E. They're all just light hearted fun. Nothing that I've been thinking about / would drown myself for.

I want to watch "Dancer in the Dark" now but it's late. I hope I'm not sacrificing any of it's, apparent, greatness by being a little sleepy. I trust it'll wake me in of itself. I'll boil the kettle.

The movies the TV channels have been showing over Xmas this year have been terrible (apart from the original Herbie films and The Truman Show in the run up to Xmas). Thankfully, one of the channels put on Big. Absolutely love this film. Big fan of Tom Hanks so it helps but it's just so enjoyable no matter how many times I watch it. The scene where they play the floor piano is still absolute gold :santa:

Also gave Hanna another watch. Just as good as it was when I saw it in the cinema earlier this year. Saoirse Ronan is a brilliant young actress.

And now I'm contemplating whether to go out and watch Fincher's take on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I loved the Swedish original and have heard Fincher has taken the story a slightly different way, to be more in line with the book, but I know that if I go and see it, I'll be constantly comparing the two films, especially because Noomi Rapace was superb in the original. Anyone seen it, along with the original, yet?

Eddie, did you see Insidious? You said you walked in and out of the room? Its a fucking sweet horror film. You're bad.

Some recent movies I have watched:

Potiche:

600full-potiche-poster.jpg

Not that great but engaging enough. It had a certain charm. :)

Alvin and the Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked.

600full-alvin-and-the-chipmunks%3A-chipwrecked-poster.jpg

Awful. Apart from Theodore who is cute. This is surprisingly not the worst film I have seen this year and this was truly bad.

Drive:

600full-drive-poster.jpg

Immense film. Without a doubt the best film I have seen this year. I loved it's style and it left me feeling weird by the end of it.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo:

tumblr_lwva7nAcB61qzs4vgo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1325094377&Signature=76gZJ5KfNKjGX4ezfnnmk8KmH74%3D

Solid watch. David Fincher always enjoy his directing. I am in doubts the book itself is actually good but the character of Lisbeth is actually the greatest thing about it and the whole thing is rather intriguing until the end when it plays out in a standard fashion. I recommend this to an extent. Mixed feelings, I'm still undecided on this.

Have yet to see the Swedish version. :)

The Big Lebowski:

600full-the-big-lebowski-poster.jpg

My kind of humour. Coen Brothers make good movies. (usually)