NEurope
Dan_Dare

April Fools Day on The Interwebz

Alright so we know that the internet goes a bit mental on April 1st but it's hard to keep track of everything. I thought this could be a fun thread to basically log all the cool jokes and articles that we can find today.

First one I saw was The Gurdian one. They've 'reveresed' their republican agenda and launched a pro monarchy live-blog counting down to the royal wedding.

Ok, your turn. I've got work I should be doing.

Got tricked by the Gamefaqs poll. I got so excited when I saw Zone of the Enders 3 was being released this month. Instantly went to Gamespot and IGN to look on previews and videos and was confused of the lack of coverage. Took me a few minutes before I realized what day it is.

Well, shortly after midnight I managed to convince a bunch of people that Tales was an evil Moltres. Does that count?

Ha! Everyone go on goole and search for 'Helvitica'

I was about to say the same, but with Comic Sans.

Ewww Comic Sans. D:

As for April Fools, not really seen any yet myself. I'm also hoping my students in my evening class will have forgotten all about it. =P

BBC Radio 2 had a great one. They had Rob Brydon impersonating the usual guy.

Pretty funny, but not anymore if it turns real. Which it may, seeing as their other Apple related april fools turned real..

edit:

I saw this on Engadget:

Top 5 viral videos from 1911

Edited by Sméagol

AdBlock Freedom!

Introducing the beta version of AdBlock Freedom: augmented reality eyewear that detects and removes ads from the world in realtime.

Here's how it works: when powered off, AdBlock Freedom functions as sunglasses. Slide a discreet switch on the frame, and AdBlock Freedom begins scanning your view for objects that it recognizes as ads. Any detected ad gets a "smudge" overlay to blend it into its surroundings. A picture is worth a thousand words:

example.jpg

The news story that The Pirate Bay had bought eBay was pretty funny.

There would be a link here but I'm new so I can't post links yet.

And I love how loads of people are going with the joke, changing their avatars to jokes.

Picture2-1.png

Picture4.png

"I'm surprised no one's done SJP." I love.

And I love this, posted in the US Politics forum. It's genuinely essentially what a common serious post in that forum is like. Such a good parody.

Picture5.png

Edited by chairdriver
Automerged Doublepost

So we have a bloke at work who is a technologist who comes up with solutions both hardware and software to aid us in teaching IT to our students with learning difficulties and/or disabilities. He believed this one and emailed it out to everyone in my department praising it saying it would be great to try out and get set up. He later sent an email saying he had learnt it was an april fools joke. He now looks like an idiot.

motion_printable_guide.gif

COMING SOON to GOOGLE DOCS LMAO!

docs.jpg

Not Internet related, but thought I'd share:

The headteacher at the school I work at was really keen that we play tricks on the kids today. One of the things he did was put a note on the photocopier saying that voice controls had been added - much hilarity ensued, and I caught three children in my class (including my brightest boy!) shouting 'Start!' at the machine. I even had him searching for the 'newly installed microphone' so that it would pick up his voice better..

As for my own prank, I thought I'd have a go at doing what the French do, and secretly sellotaping paper fish onto the children's backs. By break time, they were rather confused at what was going on, and I even told them, 'Whoever's doing the paper fish, can they please stop?'. They were also totally convinced that it was one particular boy who was behind it, so during break I planted some of my fish in his tray.

After break, when I confronted him about it, I asked my teaching assistant to check his tray - you should have seen his face when she found the stash of fish in there! :D Because he looked like he was nearly about to cry at that point, I told him I believed it wasn't him, and one of the other children must have put them in there.

Between break and noon, I continued to attach the fish to various children's backs, none of them spotting me. Then at 12, I told the children that whoever was doing it really had to stop now, and asked them to turn out their pockets to make sure they weren't concealing any paper fish. I then asked them if anyone knows who was responsible; a few names were suggested, before I asked if anyone was sure they knew who it was. That was my teaching assistant's cue to to announce that it had been me all along! Needless to say, the kids thought it was hilarious (I think my street cred's gone up with them..) and I apologised to the boy I framed, who took it well, though was clearly embarrassed to have been tricked!

Ahhh... A good day. That's the sort of thing they should put on the teacher recruitment ads, not a bunch of fake children pretending to be engrossed in a lesson! ;)

So we have a bloke at work who is a technologist who comes up with solutions both hardware and software to aid us in teaching IT to our students with learning difficulties and/or disabilities. He believed this one and emailed it out to everyone in my department praising it saying it would be great to try out and get set up. He later sent an email saying he had learnt it was an april fools joke. He now looks like an idiot.

motion_printable_guide.gif

COMING SOON to GOOGLE DOCS LMAO!

docs.jpg

Ahhh...he should've just passed it off as his own April Fool's joke!