NEurope
Mokong

3DS StreetPass Plaza

Why's that? Do your pockets not have zips or something?

Because that's the only reason I could think of to not do so.

I'm starting to think we are getting our wires crossed here. I'm talking about trouser pockets.

I'm starting to think we are getting our wires crossed here. I'm talking about trouser pockets.

Trousers can have zipped pockets as well, you know?

But I take it there's no zips then? Fine, that's understandable.

Trousers can have zipped pockets as well, you know?

But I take it there's no zips then? Fine, that's understandable.

Oh yeah I know they can have zips but as probably the majority don't, I thought maybe you were talking about something else.

I don't usually disagree with your posts but on this point I actually do. The whole point of StreetPass is to get people out in public with their Nintendo 3DSes. It's for marketing. With it being a portable console it's meant to be taken out and about, so expecting people to have it with them outside isn't really much of a stretch.

Also I'm not really self absorbed, am I? I only said that it fulfils it's purpose and then gave advice as to how to get StreetPasses if it's not working for you outside. I only get about one or two StreetPasses per week and I commute to work on public transport. I'd get more from turning on the 3DSes that I actually own myself.

I just want to say I wasn't calling you self absorbed. So sorry if that's how it came across. You never defended it by saying you get streetpasses so it's all good, but many people do. I was more talking about them.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. I just feel your way is too idealistic now, barely anyone uses it. Anywhere in the world now, even japan. So keep the dream alive and lock it to the portable, or accept in 2015 people want do it and the feature will die away unless you move it to mobile. Plus you can have home console streetpass.

And it won't be for mobile phone owners ronnie, I already explained that, can still make it so it only works if you have a Nintendo device. And anyway, if it's for the games on those decices what will they axtually do? It's still rewarding people with 3DSs when the meet people. Just more of them get rewarded. There rewlly is no negative.

Have to agree with Ronnie and others.

It's really not that hard to bring your 3DS when you go outside. And if you think it is a hassle, then I have to wonder how you could possibly cope with basic daily life.

It takes around 30 seconds at most for me to think "Have I got my XL?" find it charging like usual and shove it in my pocket.

Just like my keys, my phone and my wallet.

It's not about it being difficult, it's about it being awkward having a 3ds in your pocket all day. Its a pain in the arse taking it, and I. Someone who does take it to a lot of places.

And again, whether you think it's easy or not is immaterial. Are people using it? Not really. That problem needs solving. Simple as that.

I just feel your way is too idealistic now, barely anyone uses it. Anywhere in the world now, even japan.

How exactly do you know that "barely anyone uses it"? There are 50 million 3DSs out there, a PORTABLE system designed to be play games on the go. Streetpass hits is about rewarding people who take their 3DS out with them. An app on your phone (even if you have the system at home) rewards people for what, taking their phone out with them?

How exactly do you know that "barely anyone uses it"? There are 50 million 3DSs out there, a PORTABLE system designed to be play games on the go. Streetpass hits is about rewarding people who take their 3DS out with them. An app on your phone (even if you have the system at home) rewards people for what, taking their phone out with them?

Go on any gaming forum and ask? Listen to gaming podcasts and if it comes up it's always negative. IGN went to Japan and they said the difference from a few years ago is crazy, before everyone had 3DS', now, mobile phones. Other than huge cities, and even then barely, do you get street passes. It isn't working how they want to.

And a reward? Why is it a reward? Bizarre way of looking at it. It's just a feature, a function, a great one, but there's no difference between getting one from your phone or 3DS, except you'd get more, it'd get more use, and maybe developers would create more interesting uses in the future.

A reward... Great, if you do that thing that nobody wants to do on the slim chance you may get something, you may get a reward for it... It isn't a reward and if they used a mobile app it would be better in every single way.

Explain to me, why is it better getting a streetpass from 3DS rather than someone who has a 3DS but from their mobile phone? Especially when you're more than happy with relay points? In a way, the mobile phone is a relay point for every individual user!!

The argument against it seems utter gibberish to me.

Oh right a podcast or two talk negatively about Streetpass, perfect reasoning to suggest that "barely anyone uses it". People had mobile phones a few years ago too you know. Difference is there weren't 50 millions 3DS systems out there being played on the go. You say you don't get Streetpass "other than in huge cities, and even then barely", people on this very thread are saying they get 10 easily in one trip out. I certainly do, I take my 3DS about in London but also on the train to other places in the UK and I always get lots of hits. Don't speak unless you know what you're talking about.

Why is it "bizarre" to call puzzle pieces, extra in-game perks because of Streetpass hits a reward? That's what they are. Likewise play coins.

A reward... Great, if you do that thing that nobody wants to do on the slim chance you may get something, you may get a reward for it..

Again, it isn't "nobody wants to do it", it's not a "slim chance", and there's no "may" get a reward, you will get a reward.

It isn't a reward and if they used a mobile app it would be better in every single way. Explain to me, why is it better getting a streetpass from 3DS rather than someone who has a 3DS but from their mobile phone?

FFS. For the millionth time, Streetpass is there as an incentive to take your 3DS out with you. Why would Nintendo care if you bring your phone out with you, but leave your 3DS tucked up at home? They want you to bring it out, show it off, spread word of mouth etc. Why would Nintendo give Streetpass hits to someone who takes their mobile phone out with them, as every single person in this country does. Why not just give them free points every day? You might as well just ditch the service.

For a point of reference, @Dog\-amoto drives trains, am I right? So, he'll come into contact with a LOT of people. Or at least within range of a lot of people, even if he doesn't seem them face to face.

Put Streetpass on your mobile phone and no one will take their 3DS out with them. In what world is that an outcome Nintendo would want??

Put Streetpass on your mobile phone and no one will take their 3DS out with them. In what world is that an outcome Nintendo would want??

Hardly any one tales them out any way, hence the issue. A lot of people don't like the stigma attached to playing dedicated gaming handhelds in public so don't carry them around.

To get streetpasses here I have to either go to London or purposefully deviate my walking path on my journey to get within range of known relays. When I lived in Japan it was a piece of piss, but over here the culture is completely different.

Having an app for your phone for 3DS owner's would get the ball rolling again. It would sync to your 3DS, so you'd get your rewards, you'd see what other people are playing and get your prompts like you normally would.

I fail to see the issue here.

It wouldn't necessarily mean that people wouldn't take their 3DS systems out. It would just mean that those who own the 3DS but don't take it with them everywhere would still be able to access the streetpass stuff. Those who still take their 3DS out and about normally would possibly still do so, to play their games outdoors or on transport, etc.

Hardly any one tales them out any way, hence the issue. A lot of people don't like the stigma attached to playing dedicated gaming handhelds in public so don't carry them around.

To get streetpasses here I have to either go to London or purposefully deviate my walking path on my journey to get within range of known relays. When I lived in Japan it was a piece of piss, but over here the culture is completely different.

Having an app for your phone for 3DS owner's would get the ball rolling again. It would sync to your 3DS, so you'd get your rewards, you'd see what other people are playing and get your prompts like you normally would.

I fail to see the issue here.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a stigma, but it's an inconvenience. I'm not sure what the deal was with zipped pockets earlier but...as far as I know, most people (men certainly) don't even have zipped pockets, at least not on jeans. Unless you're wearing a coat or something which I guess makes sense with our shitty British weather.

To some people, portability might mean something completely different. When I think of portability, I think about being able to play my DS in my room, in the living room or in my family's house, for example. It would still be an indoor thing, but to me that's portability; you're able to move around with it. Some may own a 3DS system but never even take it out with them because...that's just not what they do.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a stigma, but it's an inconvenience.

I dont know, I cant speak for everyone else but I know I always felt self concious if I pulled out a handheld on a bus or something and start playing it, which is why I dont do it anymore.

For a point of reference, @Dog\-amoto drives trains, am I right? So, he'll come into contact with a LOT of people. Or at least within range of a lot of people, even if he doesn't seem them face to face.

Yeah that's right. Just to clarify though, it's always switched off when I'm in the cab :D

I can completely understand why people would prefer to have streetpass on their phone than take their 3DS out with them, but I just don't think it makes sense from Nintendo's perspective. The reason they have streetpass is to encourage you to take your 3DS out, in the hope that you then use it. They want people to be seen playing by their friends/passers-by, thus making their product more visible, creating an interest, helping remove some of the stigma against playing games consoles in public. Is this working? Probably not in most areas, but that doesn't mean they can justify spending money researching and developing a (presumably free) phone app which would only compound the problem. I can't see how a streetpass app would increase console sales either. To be honest, I'm not even sure how it would work from a technical standpoint?

If you are going to retain streetpass type features without the need to take the console out, then the obvious route is to just directly use wifi. In fact it's already happening in some games. Pokemon Rumble, for example, has three ways of meeting people: normal streetpass; spotpass for friends; and over wifi, which nets you 3 passes a day for free. They really don't need to complicate the issue by adding phones into the equation.

As for getting actual streetpasses, I don't live in a big city, and I don't really visit them either, maybe a few times a year for Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle or York. I've been to London once, about fifteen years ago. But I have over 15000 streetpasses. Some of that is from having more than one 3DS in the family, but even if you half or indeed quarter that, it's a lot. Yes I've had days where I've met no-one, but then you'll get a pass somewhere unexpected, at the hairdressers perhaps, or sat in traffic, or at a tiny car boot sale in a village. It's particularly nice when you start passing someone new regularly; I always hope that my persistence has encouraged other people to keep trying where they might have given up.

With the relay points active now, then, at least in England (I realise the situation is much worse in some other countries), the passes are there if you're willing to make the effort. Taking the New Forest example, there are at least six points in the forest, and sixty within a 15 mile radius of Lyndhurst. Most people working in rural areas visit a town at some point for shopping/banking etc., and any town that is big enough to attract chain stores will have plenty of relay points. It's worth noting that larger stores often have multiple relays too, somewhere like B&Q can net a lot of passes in one visit and is generally easier to access than, say, HMV or Game. I know other people's experiences will differ, but as someone who lives in a rural county myself, it can definitely be done.

I've been making use of the more varied passes available from the international streetpass event this week, and have finally managed to catch all the baitless fish and get my final zombie medal too. The only plaza tickets I need now are from birthdays, which is taking forever. I still don't have a single month filled.

I'll probably keep going to get the gold medals in the fishing, but I can at least cut back on playing it whilst out now. I don't think they could have made a worse control scheme. It's fine for the basic fish, but to stand any chance of catching the baitless ones you need to wind like hell. I can't imagine it's doing my 3DS any good, and for anyone self conscious about playing in public normally, then definitely don't try it with this game!

f9c8be23-5f2f-4107-91ae-575b131c394b.jpg

Can't Mii Plaza be posted to Miiverse?

Anyway: 100!! :yay:

Awww, that's cute.

Me and my 1,700 or so Mii's will be waiting.

Joking of course, congratulations!

Awww, that's cute.

Me and my 1,700 or so Mii's will be waiting.

Joking of course, congratulations!

Aww thanks. :blush:

Where do you live thats such a hotbed of Streetpasses? :o

Aww thanks. :blush:

Where do you live thats such a hotbed of Streetpasses? :o

Middle of London, of course.

Place is jam packed with hotspots. It's why I take my 3DS everywhere.

I'm sure London is great, but I thought most sizeable towns had a lot of hotspots? It really improved StreetPass.

PS - Great Etrian Odyssey-themed avatar and signature, @darksnowman

I'm sure London is great, but I thought most sizeable towns had a lot of hotspots? It really improved StreetPass.

PS - Great Etrian Odyssey-themed avatar and signature, @darksnowman

Sheffield city centre has a right cluster fuck of relays. You could just walk around for an hour or so and get your ten, use them, get another ten... I never really come back with more than twenty as I just buffer the first ten then tag another ten because I don't like playing in public (robbers).

New puzzle (not had one of those for a while) available for Mario & Luigi Paper Jam Bros. Also got a Splatoon hat, when did they add new hats? During a recent firmware update?

Also got a Splatoon hat, when did they add new hats? During a recent firmware update?

Back when they added the fishing and zombie games in April.

What's going on with the hotspot thing? Is the cloud still working? I used to get hundreds of streetpasses in York and Leeds last summer, and this past week I've had very few. In fact in Leeds I walked around the city centre for an hour and only got ONE streetpass. Anyone know what's going on? I wanna get all the purple puzzle pieces before I go back to Russia and at this rate I won't manage it.

What's going on with the hotspot thing? Is the cloud still working?

The hotspots no longer use the cloud, they use O2 wifi so it's a slightly different set of shops to visit. Chains that should all have hotspots include Argos, HMV, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Costa, Subway, Debenhams, Santander, Matalan, B&Q, Homebase and Waitrose, and it's also used by quite a few pubs/restaurants. You should also get passes from Game as they are the current provider of Nintendo Zones. You can usually get passes from outside the shops, but it can take a little while to activate so just walking past is rarely enough. Either go in or pause outside. Big shops can have several relays so are good for getting lots of passes. Good luck with finding those pieces!