NEurope
flameboy

Is the world actually ending? Japan hit by quake and tsunami

Question: Is now a good time to buy lots of stocks/shares from Japanese companies, considering they are at an all time low?

If possible can you give me an thorough answer please.

If you're looking to start investing in the Japanese stock market, getting information from people here is probably not the best place to start.

I personally wouldn't because:

a) I know nothing about Japanese organisations other than the huge multi-nationals

b) No one has any idea what's going to happen next. If the reactor blows then who knows what will happen to the market?

c) It could take them years to recover from this.

Aww she closed her account. I love listening to insane people

I'm actually highly dissappointed by this... I was hoping for her to make a video "defending" herself to all the comments.

Oddly too though when I click the lick to her "God is good" vid in my facebook it says it was removed due to a copyright claim by LaughAloneTV... which when I googled gave a youtube account that is also now closed... weird

but on their twitter it says

"We do not have any affiliation with TAMTAMPAMELA her video was claimed by mistake and when we tried to fix she had already closed her acc."

wonder if anyone saved the vid and will repost it :heh:

anyway back on topic:

Japan and end of world. Discuss

Edited by Mokong

Aww she closed her account. I love listening to insane people

I think she must have got confused with the link i shared with her.

Her main page might be close because she prob got thousands of death threats :heh:

In the end she is a dumb bitch Christian.

Shame Jesus died for our sins and not our stupidity.

Shame Jesus died for our sins and not our stupidity.
Haha, good one :grin:
BTW are you in Japan or just using a Suica avatar for funsies? He's quite a cool penguin after all.
Tokyo based, currently in the UK. I've been moving around a lot in recent years. I have mixed feelings about looking on on all this from outside. Instinctively I wish I was there on the ground, but then I guess I'll just add to the burden given the scale of the problem. No casualties so far at personal level so far.

They've been having a rotation of planned black outs even in Tokyo to ration power, and some radiation has been detected around Tokyo as well, but really, the level is still low outside the exclusion zone to worry. It's a sensitive subject though so I think the psychological burden of radiation exposure is more burdening than the actual physical problem. We generally freak out just by hearing "radiation". We don't then ask "How much radiation?".

It keeps changing so quick, I don't know what to think. :weep:

EDIT: And yes, that's one hell of a groovy penguin!

I love you, Moogle.

Edit: I was thinking of a funny Fallout joke, you know, next Bethesda game: Fallout: Tokyo or something. But I realised, I'm not that good at making up jokes.

Edited by drahkon

You're sick.

Hey I managed to hold out until the 9th page. I'm practically a saint.

What's the amount of time necessary before things can become funny?

Thousands of innocent people dying, alot more losing everything they own, losing family members/friends, and the general devastation.

It never becomes funny does it.

Taking a break from all the jokes, I hope this event with the possible nuclear meltdown will sway countries to look into other energy sources such as solar, wind or tidal. Germany has already temporarily shut down some of their reactors, and I wouldn't be surprised if this unfortunate Japanese event will make the public even more anti-nuclear power. I don't know about other countries, but in Switzerland we will vote if we should have more reactors (we have two now) in a year or two, and I think right now that plan would get very little support. So, what I am trying to say, is that nations should fund more research in renewable energy, because even if a nuclear event like this only happens once a decade, that is still too much :angry:

12.24 seconds.

Depends how funny the tragedy is to start with.....

Thousands of innocent people dying, alot more losing everything they own, losing family members/friends, and the general devastation.

It never becomes funny does it.

Anything has the potential to be funny at the right time and place. Whether Moogle always knows when and where that time and place is is another matter altogether. :heh:

Still, it's not like anyone here is celebrating this disaster (unlike some despicable and moronic people on planet Earth ...). Being able to make fun of serious things is a way of coping with it all.

Taking a break from all the jokes, I hope this event with the possible nuclear meltdown will sway countries to look into other energy sources such as solar, wind or tidal. Germany has already temporarily shut down some of their reactors, and I wouldn't be surprised if this unfortunate Japanese event will make the public even more anti-nuclear power. I don't know about other countries, but in Switzerland we will vote if we should have more reactors (we have two now) in a year or two, and I think right now that plan would get very little support. So, what I am trying to say, is that nations should fund more research in renewable energy, because even if a nuclear event like this only happens once a decade, that is still too much :angry:

Indeed.

I'd say that untill we can control natural threats which threaten local Nuclear Reactors, we should not be supporting such ways to form energy. The risk is way too big if mankind and its o so precious science cannot assure safety on a natural, and to a degree human scale.

I was very surprised to hear that Japan holds 54 Nuclear reactors.....and I thought the Japanese to be on the forefront of alternative energy sources which don't have nasty side effects whatsoever.:sad:

Nuclear reactors, in this day and age, are a Nuclear waste.

't is as it is, money is king now, but we all know change is natural so mankind should be in for more surprises the coming years.:grin:

The thing is though, I don't think the technology is any where near ready/affordable enough to take renewable energy to a mass scale, probably not even close. That's why you only see it being implemented in quite small scale ways and developments.

There may be a strong arguement against Nuclear power stations, but you also have to remember that the Pacific region is the area most likely to be hit by these natural disasters. A nuclear power station in the UK/in Europe is geographically very unlikely to have anything happen to it in the same way.

I hope this event with the possible nuclear meltdown will sway countries to look into other energy sources such as solar, wind or tidal.

I hope it sways countries to keep continually improving nuclear energy development and implementing better safeguards. Giving up on it is not the answer.

The problem is, the media is completely sensationalising the issues with the power plant. All the time it's been explosion this, radiation that but they ignore the fact that it survived a huge earthquake and it's only fucking up due to the tsunami. They ignore the fact that it's a low yield plant and that a fallout would be nothing like Chernobyl.

It's just getting out of hand. The media is scaremongering. Nuclear power IS safe. However, it, like everything else, fucks up when it has a 10 metre high tidal wave hit it.

The thing is though, I don't think the technology is any where near ready/affordable enough to take renewable energy to a mass scale, probably not even close. That's why you only see it being implemented in quite small scale ways and developments.

There may be a strong arguement against Nuclear power stations, but you also have to remember that the Pacific region is the area most likely to be hit by these natural disasters. A nuclear power station in the UK/in Europe is geographically very unlikely to have anything happen to it in the same way.

Wasn't there a terrorism scare regarding nuclear power plants in the UK?

I recommend following translated tweets of Japanese sources, they're the most accurate and non-sensationalised source of news.

A tweet I RTed: "I admire the Japanese people. Any other nation would crack in face of these crises, loot stores, panic, steal. We have a lot to learn."

Wasn't there a terrorism scare regarding nuclear power plants in the UK?
Not that I'm aware of, but terrorism can affect anything at anytime, it's not a reason to not do something!

You may aswell never build another skyscraper and destroy all airplanes!