NEurope

Wont upscale?

Has this been confirmed?

How's about some MORE VC titles for WiiU Ninty? There were loads of N64 games missing as well, (Did Pilotwings 64 ever make it?!) GC games would be great. A lot were only around 1GB so it makes sense to offer them.

Wind Waker would be a natural continuation of the existing VC Zelda content too.

(Would also look great on a tablet device!)

It'll upscale. It won't up-render. It's irrelevant anyway as the Wii U is only backwards compatible with Wii games

I could post two dozen clips, but this is one example video sums up the beauty of Wind Waker for me:

The sequence from 3:31 onwards really is quite wonderful. The victory fanfare, and animations, the musical sequence, the editing etc. What did we have in Skyward Sword? Nondescript flames shooting out onto your sword. zzzzzzzzzzz

3:45>4:00 Simple but lovely tracking shot on the Triforce symbol and exit warp, that works perfectly with the music. Did we have anything similar in Skyward Sword? Of course not.

As for the boss battle itself... some fantastic (IMO) and memorable music (something Skyward Sword can only dream of having), a weird, different, magical concept (unlike Skyward Sword's relatively unimaginative ones), beautiful lighting and so on.

It may sound like I'm having a go at Skyward Sword. I loved the game, it was fun, but for the most part it was so unimaginative and lazy compared to this masterpiece.

PS: those purple explosion flames make me have a tiny orgasm.

PPS: If the next Zelda doesn't bring back the sorely missed magic metre, I'm going to personally bitchslap Aonuma. It's funny how the loss of it coincided exactly when Zelda started to lose its way and how the magic has slowly disappeared from the series.

Edited by Ronnie

It has begun!

ww002.jpg

I couldn't resist any longer, I needed to play through this gem again. That being the case, I unboxed and dusted off my Cube and set it all up ready to play. I'm quite surprised how good it looks on my HDTV. I was expecting it to be a blurry mess, but I just connected it with the AV cables, ran it in an aspect of 4:3 and it looks great.

ww001.jpg

Last night I just ran around Outset Island and rescued Tetra. I'm amazed how fast the game starts up. You don't have to sit through massive amount of tutorials, like the more recent Zelda games. I had forgotten just how colourful and charming the game really is. I spent a good few minutes just doing different things with Link to see the various expressions he has. :D

I look forward to putting A LOT of time into this over the weekend.

I love the beginning of Wind Waker. It has immediacy, it's easy to relate to and it has just enough story to make you care. I also think the whole premise is similar to Blackadder, in that the same characters repeat throughout time, but the specifics can be very different. Later games seem too obsessed with the series' own mythology, almost like they're saying "This is Link, the Hero of Time. He's so cool." Whereas Wind Waker is (on the surface) just the story of a boy who wants to rescue his sister.

Such a good soundtrack as well, just to add to the discussion. It's been on my playlist since i got home, all this chatter has reminded me of such a great game.

Edited by Jimbob

Gotta agree, Spirit Tracks and Twilight Princess take forever to get started. I think it's just those two, though.

This thread is making me feel like playing Wind Waker again. Last time I played, I swore I wouldn't play it again before replaying OoT. I think I'll end up breaking this swear :heh:

Only during Summer, though. Navigating the Ocean after a sunny day is the best way to enjoy it.

I bought Ocarina of Time 3D recently as I suddenly took an urge to play it but that feeling is no longer there and it remains sealed :eek: With it still being within the return period, I may end up taking it back for a refund..

Part of that decision has been influenced by how familar I feel with a lot of Ocarina of Time (not that I'd claim to know absolutely everything because I don't :heh:) and how much more fun I may have in revisiting Wind Waker instead or returning to my nowhere near finished Majora's Mask save file.

I did finish Wind Waker back when it was released but I don't feel I have any detailed memories of the dungeons or what even happens throughout the majority of the game. Whilst playing Ocarina of Time again would be like retreading old ground, Wind Waker could well feel like a fresh experience all over again :hehe:

Having said that, I don't feel like I will be playing it any time soon anyway as I've recently been doing my best to get stuck into clearing games that I have in my collection but haven't experienced yet..

I bought Ocarina of Time 3D recently as I suddenly took an urge to play it but that feeling is no longer there and it remains sealed :eek: With it still being within the return period, I may end up taking it back for a refund..

Part of that decision has been influenced by how familar I feel with a lot of Ocarina of Time (not that I'd claim to know absolutely everything because I don't :heh:) and how much more fun I may have in revisiting Wind Waker instead or returning to my nowhere near finished Majora's Mask save file.

I did finish Wind Waker back when it was released but I don't feel I have any detailed memories of the dungeons or what even happens throughout the majority of the game. Whilst playing Ocarina of Time again would be like retreading old ground, Wind Waker could well feel like a fresh experience all over again :hehe:

Having said that, I don't feel like I will be playing it any time soon anyway as I've recently been doing my best to get stuck into clearing games that I have in my collection but haven't experienced yet..

You may know it well, but don't miss out on Ocarina of Time 3D... it's absolutely beautiful and will breeth a new life into the game regardless of how many times you've played it.

God I hope Wind Waker comes to the WiiU!

You may know it well, but don't miss out on Ocarina of Time 3D...

I may not necessarily miss out on it, though.. I just don't really need it right now :heh:

It was Ocarina 3D that re-kindled my love of Zelda, when i thought it was not there anymore. It's such a beautiful game, the graphics are crisped up nicely and all that.

I was expecting it to be a blurry mess, but I just connected it with the AV cables, ran it in an aspect of 4:3 and it looks great.

Really? I get a lot of noise when I play it on my Gamecube. Haven't checked any other games yet though, it it's fine through the Wii.

I still don't see how this game garners so much love.

Graphics aside, I wasn't a fan then and I'm still not now but I'll agree they haven't aged a day, the gameplay just wasn't all that.

It does start a bit quicker than the other games but after the bang when the Helmaroc King comes to Outset, it does slow down. The bit on the boat as you're doing the tests for what's his name, and then you get to the Forsaken Fortress but it's all a bit too super sneaky slow, slow for my tastes. Then you are stuck on Windfall whilst you do a bunch of tasks. Windfall is a nice and all but I think part of it's strength is born out of the fact that Zelda has never really had particularly strong town areas on the whole. Skyloft is no where near as interesting as it needed to be given it's effectively the centre of the universe for its inhabitants.

I thought that Eurogamer article was very generous in its praise and seemed blind to the issues that plague the game, some of which extend to the series in general, and even goes so far as to advocate graphics over gameplay when it comes to dungeon design. When there's so little to see outside them, I guess that's a little more understandable but I don't think that's how they meant it. It talks as though it was completely different when in reality, I don't think it was. Swap the sea for a giant field and the boat for Epona and you have the same game that came before.

The game isn't completely without merit (going to old Hyrule being one of the finest points in videogame history - the disappointment at not being able to explore it being one of its biggest let downs) but it spawned Phantom Hourglass off of its back and that's pretty hard to forgive.

Having said that, I do watch Zelda Wednesday over at ScrewAttack where they are currently playing through this entire game (they are just up to the boss of the Earth Temple) but I'm feeling no desire to replay it so I'll just stick to that for the meantime.

For me, Zelda is about exploring the overworld and then venturing into an intricately designed dungeon (though I get far more joy out of the overworld part) - this game's overworld was virtually none existant and the dungeon design was a step back from the two games that came before it.

TP was hardly free from flaws either but for me, it is the better game.

It's ironic that the Wiimote was designed to make gameplay easier and more user friendly, and yet it leads to Twilight Princess starting out with an hour long user guide of how to use it in the game. *yawn*

It's ironic that the Wiimote was designed to make gameplay easier and more user friendly, and yet it leads to Twilight Princess starting out with an hour long user guide of how to use it in the game. *yawn*

Pretty sure the GameCube version of the game starts off in the same way?

Not sure, i can't remember to be exact. I should dig it out to confirm it myself.

Swap the sea for a giant field and the boat for Epona and you have the same game that came before.

I don't think that's right. None of the dry land Zeldas have had an overworld that is so big, free or open, with so many sidequests, things to do and places to explore.

If games can be art (which they can and should), then they are about more than just completing the next objective. That's just mechanical. The sea was used to conjure up a certain atmosphere, and that's just as valid as the more gameplay-oriented aspects.

It does, but that's the point. By putting Twilight Princess on the Wii, the GameCube version was negatively affected in many ways, including the beginning. The first part of the game was extended for Wii, that's for sure, and these changes were ported back to the GC version whether it needed it or not.

Putting Twilight Princess on Wii = single worst thing Nintendo has ever done.

Even though there was no real added control, swinging the Wii Remote for the sword felt glorious.

TP's beginning was the same for the GC version. But it doesn't feel like it was a leftover from the Wii version.

I can see a couple of places where they could teach you to use the sword and slingshot, but those moments were brief. What dragged on were the goat-herding, the pointless tasks for the villagers, the fishing (something that is so popular for some reason, it had a mandatory segment here).

Spirit Tracks had a train tutorial, a "control Zelda" tutorial, and then suffered from cutscene overload at the beginning. Only afterwards are you thrown into the action.

Skyward Sword and Phantom Hourglass were both much quicker than this, thankfully.

(Note that I am talking about how quickly they give you a sword and/or throw you somewhere to play for yourself)

Then you are stuck on Windfall whilst you do a bunch of tasks.

Falcon, I can respect your feelings regarding the beginning of WW, as I can see how someone might dislike the stealthy segments (I'm surprised nobody mentioned Forsaken Fortress before you, actually)...

...but that argument is false. In Windfall, there are no tasks. Only a task: Talk to the eskimo. Then you can leave.

Just saying :heh:

... and even goes so far as to advocate graphics over gameplay when it comes to dungeon design. When there's so little to see outside them, I guess that's a little more understandable but I don't think that's how they meant it. It talks as though it was completely different when in reality, I don't think it was. Swap the sea for a giant field and the boat for Epona and you have the same game that came before.

I agree with dungeons being style over substance in this game, they're very basic and straightforward, except for the Wind Temple. There are nostalgia goggles at play.

However, I also think the real "meat" of the game is in the ocean, not in the dungeons. I can see we don't agree on this point, though.

And Epona is definitely not the same as the boat. Epona is an accessory that moves like Link, while the boat is a necessary vehicle. It may not seem like much, but the difference goes a long way.

... but it spawned Phantom Hourglass off of its back and that's pretty hard to forgive.

I do hope this part was a joke...

Edited by Jonnas

...but that argument is false. In Windfall, there are no tasks. Only a task: Talk to the eskimo. Then you can leave.

That's what she said :laughing:

A little late to the party here, but I just wanted to add that the WindWaker was my first proper Zelda experience ever, and has remained my most proper Zelda experience to date.

I don't really know what it is, but Windwaker did truly evoke that adventuruous spirit in me which I expect from an adventure game. The world was so open, and the way you sailed on the ocean will always be special to me, although I would've liked a bit more activity there.

To put it quite frank, I'd say only Majora's Mask has its own, unique twisty feel to it (Just like WW(funny, MM = WW:laughing:)), whereas Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword all felt too basic to me. Granted, the latter two also had their own style, but Ocarina of Time just felt extremely formularistic after WindWaker.

It's funny how playing games at a certain age and in a certain order can make on perceive the value of that game differently.

What about having to retrieve the sail? That would make it two tasks!

(But its been a while so I might be misremembering...!)

Ocarina of Time just felt extremely formularistic after WindWaker.

You're entitled to think that way since you started with Wind Waker, but if you'd played them the other way round, you'd be an OoT lover. Trust me. :heh:

What about having to retrieve the sail? That would make it two tasks!

(But its been a while so I might be misremembering...!)

And where do you find the sail? :wink:

You're entitled to think that way since you started with Wind Waker, but if you'd played them the other way round, you'd be an OoT lover. Trust me. :heh:

When I first played WW, I expected the same things from OoT. I was initially disappointed at a bunch of stuff, but eventually learned to see the game's good side. When I did all that treasure-hunting, to be precise, after defeating Ganondorf.

And then I fell in love when doing the figurine sidequest. WW eventually surpassed OoT.

The point is, different people get different experiences. When I first played OoT, I'd explore the world whenever I was stuck at a puzzle or a dungeon, like the Forest Temple (Point&Click instincts kicking in), thus the game felt very open-ended, even if it wasn't. LttP was structured the same way, so a lot of people didn't notice the formulaic nature of OoT at first.

Fused King already knew about the formula, thus he followed it and felt it the first time. I don't think OoT is that formulaic, but hey, I stand by my point.

And then I fell in love when doing the figurine sidequest.

This is by far one of the best, if not the best, sidequest in a Zelda game.

Can't disagree with that. OOT may be a bit "plain", but it is a 10/10 and made Christmas 1998 outstanding.

And where do you find the sail? :wink:

Can't really remember. :blush: I thought it was in a cave on Windfall...? Or is that the camera?!

This is by far one of the best, if not the best, sidequest in a Zelda game.

I never really got into that at all. You saying its better than Anju & Kafei? Better than Link's Awakening? :heh:

Can't disagree with that. OOT may be a bit "plain", but it is a 10/10 and made Christmas 1998 outstanding.

So true. Link stepping out of his treehouse and his feet and hands accurately holding/ stepping on the ladder as you descend... I mean... :o in that moment games ARRIVED.

Can't really remember. :blush: I thought it was in a cave on Windfall...? Or is that the camera?!

What the-?! Go replay Wind Waker right now!

Windfall doesn't even have caves!