N-Europe

83rd Academy Awards

Oxigen_Waste

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oscar worthy" has lost it's meaning, really. In the last 20 years, the only rightful winners have been Schindler, American Beauty and No Country For Old Men. And LOTR, to some extent.

Every other winner has pretty much been a lame "oscar bait" choice.

Well, they never really meant anything... most great movies were hardly even recognized by the academy, they're just a glorified semi popularity/semi integrity contest.

See any other year this would probably be fine, but didn't it beat There Will Be Blood? I really enjoyed NCFOM but There Will Be Blood is just something else....in fact it's my favourite film ever so I'm bias :P

I always thought there was something weird about the oscars when I found out that (correct if wrong) Forest Gump beat The Shawshank Redemption. That ain't right.

Illusioniste > PaV. But yeah, french animation is awesome in general.

PS - any other film... you've seen, don't forget that.

French? Panique au Village is Belgian yo. (Well the series and the concept, film was made in a few countries). =P

I want to see Illusionist but I don't think it ever got shown in the cinema here, bleh. Will have to watch it on DVD I guess. =(

Watching it live now.

Will update in SPOILERS.

Art Direction - Alice in Wonderland

Cinematography - Inception

Best Supporting Actress - Melissa Leo

Animated Short - The Lost Thing

Animated Feature Film - Toy Story 3

Edited by Paj!

Watching it live now.

Will update in SPOILERS.

Art Direction - Alice in Wonderland

Cinematography - Inception

Best Supporting Actress - Melissa Leo

Animated Short - The Lost Thing

Animated Feature Film - Toy Story 3

Reading along with the Guardian liveblog - is it worth watching? you watching on Sky? If yr streaming pm me a link...

They're all amazing films. There would be arguments no matter which of them won..

Shawshank so should've won... it's possibly the greatest film ever made. Everything about it is fantastic, everything!

Shawshank is nearly perfect, but in a very "predictable" way. Pulp Fiction is also nearly perfect, plus it completely revolutionized the way modern cinema shaped itself over the last two decades as it completely changed the playing field. A revolution in format and above all, content.

To choose between the two is hard, yes. But choosing a third? Unthinkable.

Forrest Gump is awesome, but considering it's competitors, it was an absolute cop out.

Well, I certainly hope I won't be called in to work today, seeing as I got no sleep at all. :p

Not completely pleased with the results. Nolan really deserved an award for Inception, and I'm not happy that Hans Zimmer didn't win for Best Score, either. I'm also pretty bummed that I See The Light didn't win Best Song, and I honestly believe Tangled at least deserved a nomination for Best Animated Feature. And I think it deserved to win.

10 nomnoms for True Grit and the coens get nothing :P Fighter got two best supporting actors - if anythitng that just reinforces my hate for Marky Mark :P

Glad I didn't stay up to watch it. I think it would've angered me.

(shame ninjavideo's gone, they kept me up to date with oscar-worthy movies.)

My stream blew up, but seems the results were a bit "..." anyway. Blah at King's Speech winning Best Director....ew.

And Inception won 3 Oscars last night, Danny, more than I think it would have been expected to win! :p

It just feels so random...King's Speech isn't at all "special". It's better than a lot of "similar" movies I guess, but...no. OH WELL.

Th only think King's Speech didn't deserve was Best Director. I think that probably should have gone to Danny Boyle, because making a film featuring one actor, in one location AND making it gripping and exciting is a genuine skill, while the King's Speech was great because of the actors and the script.

Just read this on Yahoo.

'The Fighter' also triumphed in the award for Best Actress in a Supporting role, but a new winner quickly became apparent, as the presentation soon became the Kirk Douglas show. The veteran milked it for all he was worth and slowly won over the crowd. The result was something of a predictable disappointment as Melissa Leo's strange self-promotion proved to be a successful gambit. An awkward moment between the winner and Kirk Douglas then gave way to a rant of sorts which even saw her swear in front of a live television audience. Although she won the prize, Leo could well come out of Oscar night as a loser as both her acceptance speech and attire were heavily criticised.

What shit was Douglas up to?

^ He was just incredibly elderly and couldn't really speak properly. Meaning everything he said/every joke he tried to tell was of course loved by everyone there. Kept making passes at Anne Hathaway. He could barely say Melissa Leo's name.

I don't see what was wrong with her speech. Or her dress...who the fuck cares?

I thought it was alright but I honestly didn't think The King's Speech should have won Best Picture. Even though it is a brilliant movie, I think Black Swan, 127 Hours or True Grit was more deserving...Other than that and the Supporting Actress, everything else was great.

We all knew that The King's Speech would win anyway so it wasn't really surprising. The only thing I didn't like was that Hailee Steinfield didn't win Supporting Actress. I thought her performance as Mattie in True Grit was superb, it's a shame she didn't get an award for it! :(

Toy Story 3 won two Oscars though! Yay! lol. Other than that, it was all okay and expected.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!