N-Europe

Metroid Fusion

• 2 years later...

This fucking game mayne. I don't know where I stopped playing the first time I had this (maybe Spider Yakuza, same as Flink), but man....I am past that now (after rage-yelling a few times). So good I could cry.

One of the best GBA games. The best?

Might be about to drop mad dollar on Zero Mission.

This fucking game mayne. I don't know where I stopped playing the first time I had this (maybe Spider Yakuza, same as Flink), but man....I am past that now (after rage-yelling a few times). So good I could cry.

Might be about to drop mad dollar on Zero Mission.

I really, really want to play Zero Mission.

Fusion is awesome. :D Pure Nintendo goodness. Wish they'd do more of this sorta stuff.

Yes!! The best! Well, this or Zero Mission - I've never been able to decide. Fusion probably has the more fluid game structure and amazing in-game storytelling, but I prefer the colours and tone of Zero Mission.

Between them, they're definitely the two best GBA games though. It's absolutely crazy that Nintendo seems not to see this.

And that Spider boss was where I first got stuck too! It's not frustrating like the Spider Guardian in Metroid Prime 2 (that really is frustrating - at least in the Cube original), but it's a real "learning curve" moment. When you learn how to dodge it and fire the missiles back, it's one of the most satisfying moments in 2D gaming.

Nintendo, bring this amazing series back!

Yeah it's fucking criminal that there has not been a 2D Metroid game in what....ten years plus? Not one AT ALL on DS? I mean....it....it is just totally mind boggling. I can't understand it. I just can't.

Definitely don't get an old GBA flash cart and an old GBA, because that would be bad, wrong, and maybe a little illegal.

Don't do it, man.

Looking forward to it.

I just....god replaying this has totally re-sparked my love for this series. Well. I've only played this one. I'm shallow and I can't help but feel that Super Metroid will be difficult for me to penetrate because of its look, age and...gameplay? How does it FEEL?

But yeah. This game. Isolation. Graphics. Secret areas. Dose upgrades. Ahhhhh. Design. Characters. Chick. When u die and she sheds. All dat.

Looking forward to it.

I just....god replaying this has totally re-sparked my love for this series. Well. I've only played this one. I'm shallow and I can't help but feel that Super Metroid will be difficult for me to penetrate because of its look, age and...gameplay? How does it FEEL?

Out of interest, what controller would you be using? I have it on the Wii, so use the GameCube pad, which is not ideal. I would definitely re-buy it if it appeared on 3DS.

So, taking your concerns one by one... Looks? It still looks great. The sprites are actually larger and more impressive than the other 2D games. After all, the SNES is still higher-res than the GBA.

Age? Well, there are a few things that aren't as slick as future entries made them. Like how Diagonal Up and Diagonal Down are actually separate buttons. Or how you have to select secondary items from a menu. Or how there's a run button instead of you automatically going faster. It's even a bit odd how you can combine beams, in my opinion, rather than the newest one being able to do everything previous ones could.

Gameplay and feel? The truth is I can't remember it that well now. Do Save Rooms reload missiles? I don't think they do, so that's one aspect you might miss from Fusion (which had Reload Rooms next to the Save Rooms). I also remember having an awful lot of trouble with Wall Jump.

Basically, Rez, it's a great game and I don't think there's any reason not to buy it. I'm not trying to say it's not a classic, I'm just trying to be honest with you that there are a few aspects you might find rough around the edges compared to the GBA titles (like I did). Not enough that should stop anyone from buying it (on VC, right? It's definitely cheap enough), but I'm not going to tow the line and pretend it's this perfect classic just because, to be honest, some people get a bit defensive about it.

Super Metroid has aged incredibly well. I'd say the only thing that might irk you from playing Fusion is the lack of ledge-grabbing. Everything else is just something being done intentionally differently. Even running is pretty much meant only for long corridors, as normal walking speed is fast enough as it is.