N-Europe

Alternative Cinema

drahkon

So, today I have bought Moon. Watched it right after I'd gotten home and immediately loved it.

As the thread title suggests it's not a blockbuster and it has actually never been released in German cinemas as far as I know (maybe only in some cities).

'What does he want from me now?' you might ask. Well, let me tell you:

I want love.

And more of those not-so-mainstream movies.

Here's a short list of which movies I consider to be of this kind:

The Fountain

Being John Malkovich

Burn After Reading

Revolver

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Edit: On second thought..."Not-so-mainstream" sounds a bit awkward..so if anyone can think of a better expression, feel free to tell us :D

Edited by drahkon

It's hard to define when there's no genre or specifics wanted...hm.

I mean, would you consider Donnie Darko not-so-mainstream? Visually it's not very different from the mainstream, and it's themes aren't that outside-the-box. But it does have a quality that seems to seperate it from the mainstream slightly.

All of Darren Aronofsky's movies fit, not just The Fountain.

It's hard to define when there's no genre or specifics wanted...hm.

You have a point there.

I mean, would you consider Donnie Darko not-so-mainstream?

I would.

How about 'movies that are thought provoking'?

Edit: That's not exactly it. I mean Burn after Reading isn't really thought provoking.

Edited by drahkon

How about 'movies that are thought provoking'?

Haha again, hard to define :p. I mean, The Hours left me with stuff to think about/I was shaken, but then it's mainstream (effectively).

David Lynch obviously.

I'd say most of Lars Von Trier's films, specifically

51K7P0bkktL._SS500_.jpg

510JGdBph1L._SS500_.jpg

But then they're very traumatic.

Pure, genuine thought can be generated after watching things like

51ht-QB6GoL._SS500_.jpg

I guess most Charlie Kauffman films apply too (you already mentioned Being John Malkovich). His films are excellent, a real desire to explore the medium and thought behind film.

synecdoche-new-york-poster.jpg

51C1D3KRR2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Many different kinds of films can get a visceral reaction from the audience.

EDIT:

I feel like I'm missing out so many greats, so here's my list of every film I've ever seen. The ones with the highest ratings are the ones I regard highest (obvs). I generally aim for "thought-provoking films" to see in the first place (or just obvious stunners).

Edited by Paj!

I mean, would you consider Donnie Darko not-so-mainstream? Visually it's not very different from the mainstream, and it's themes aren't that outside-the-box. But it does have a quality that seems to seperate it from the mainstream slightly.

More of a cult film as they say these days. I'd personally call it a shit film, but that's just me.

Neds!

Just out at the cinema, not sure how wide its release is as it's a very Scottish film. Apparently George Clooney has helped broker a deal to get it released in the USA (with subtitles). I went to see it last night and its fantastic. Really showing insight into life in 1970s Glasgow down in the rougher parts of the South side. It's the story of how a clever boy grows up in a family with a bad reputation and slowly conforms to how society thinks he should be.

I loved I Love You Phillip Morris and A Town Called Panic (Better animated film than Toy Story 3, better than all the other nominations for Best Animated Film = me very grumpy) from last year.

As for favourites, I love Eternal Sunshine and The Science of Sleep. Big Gondry fan.

SECRET WINDOW

Seen it. It's not bad. Nothing spectacular though.

Anyone who likes Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind should check out The Science of Sleep, also by Michel Gondry

Sounds good. Will look into that.

I loved I Love You Phillip Morris

Isn't that with Jim Carrey? I effing love Jim Carrey, so it's probably a must see for me.

Moon was amazing.

Indeed, it was. One of the best movies I've seen. Ever.

I Love You Philip Morris is actually a brill suggestion - it's very hard to classify and has that "This is out of the mainstream" feel, whilst still having the hollywood sheen that is always appealing.

I just finished watching Lost Highway for the first time (better than I expected from the first half). I'm too scared to comment since I actually have no idea what went on. It may be a Mulholland Drive job, several repeat viewings.

It has a fantastic poster though:

600full-lost-highway-poster.jpg

Well not "what happens", but more what he was trying to get across/the symbols etc. This was a lot more obtuse than Mulholland Drive, with an unforgiveable pace.

I like the fact his films encourage exploration aftert the fact.