NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Aha! Turns out that there IS a rudimentary touch screen control solution!

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/faq/

When you hold down L3 or R3 (presumably that controls each respective touch panel/screen), a pointer appears that controls the touchscreen action.

There we go! That solves the issue for those games that needed at least some rudimentary touch screen actions :) Stuff like Wipeout and Uncharted should be playable on this thing after all.

That sounds worse than there being no capability, to be honest

That sounds worse than there being no capability, to be honest

Hey hey, no need to kick em while they're down here. It's hardly an elegant solution, but it's better than nothing.

It's not like it's gonna suddenly destroy the 3DS here. Better to let the poor thing live, than to leave it for dead!

Hey hey, no need to kick em while they're down here. It's hardly an elegant solution, but it's better than nothing.

It's not like it's gonna suddenly destroy the 3DS here. Better to let the poor thing live, than to leave it for dead!

Now now...I like the Vita. It's a fantastic bit of kit. If it had more games I want, I'd happily have one :)

I just feel that solution is horrific. Obviously I exaggerated a little, but that really is horrible.

You guys know touch is little used on the Vita in games, right? Not significantly anyway. This is not the 3DS; it's really not a big issue at all.

One thing I have to say though is that if SCEA and SCEE hope to get this thing to sell over here in the west, then they had better greatly improve their selection of PSP and PS1 titles. The list of games on offer outside Japan is utterly pitiful in comparison!

Going by the lifestyle videos they showed here, they (at least SCEJ) really do consider the back catalogue to be a big selling point for this console (and considering that massive 1000 + games on offer, it may well be), but that number is basically cut down by about half in the west (probably even moreso when you consider how many PSP and PS1 games currently on the PSN store are not available to download from the device itself, but instead need to be transferred over from a PS3!)

Perhaps (hopefully!) this is the reason why it is not coming out till next year in the west, instead choosing to wait until the PS4's dust has settled and they have sorted out the issues that have prevented the Vita's PS1 & PSP library from working in the west.

Edited by Dcubed

They even patched standard controls into Escape Plan. I don't think it's a big deal. Something like Killzone Mercs would work perfectly with the DS4, too.

Also, if you're really intent on buying this thing for games, you should just buy a Vita. If you're worried about compromised controls, the PSVita TV is not aimed at you.

I think they'll launch this in North America next year along with a rebranded Gaikai.

So is this actual confirmation that the PS4's remote play is not just local WiFi, and that you can play your PS4 games from any fast enough internet connection?

i thought this was confirmed months ago. The question is lag?

Opinion: PS Vita TV poised to shake up the 'microconsole' race

With the rise of the low-price, plug-in-and-play "microconsole," we've all been wondering which company is going to emerge victorious. Will the Ouya come out on top? Will GameStick rise to the occasion? Maybe Apple, Google, Amazon et al might blow the competition away.

No-one could have expected that Sony would be a contender, especially when the company has its own PlayStation 4 launch to deal with. And yet this morning, a microconsole is exactly what Sony revealed.

The PS Vita TV is essentially a cheap, home console version of Sony's Vita handheld. You can take this tiny box, plug it into your TV, and then play PS Vita games, PSP games and select PS One games without the need for a PS Vita handheld.

I like the idea of taking this round to a friend's and playing co-op Spelunky, me using my Vita. Hell, just having this thing loaded with Crash Team racing or Dive Kick.

Hmmm, I've already got a tonne of games for this. Definite buy.

It would be nice if Sony introduced the streaming functionality to the current Vita.

It would be nice if Sony introduced the streaming functionality to the current Vita.

They are. It was already announced at E3.

Every PS4 game that does not use the Move or the PS4 Camera must support remote play, with a Vita control scheme being mandatory.

The Vita TV is just using a modified version of the same streaming tech designed for the handheld (just changed to output in 720p instead of 544p and to allow the DS4 controller to be used)

Edited by Dcubed

No, I mean the ability to have it output to a TV (sorry, I phrased it totally wrong). Boom, a Vita that's a handheld and a micro-console. There's that mysterious port on the Vita that no one knows what its for...fingers crossed it's that.

Vita TV sounds like a pretty fucking good idea to be honest. It's probably what I'll opt for buying when Phantasy Star Nova heads on out.

I was thinking the name was a bit much...but after the catastrophe with the Wii U and, to a lesser extent, the Xbox One, its literal and explicit name is perfect.

PLAYSTATION VITA TV. It is a Playstation product that has a Vita inside and you plug it into your TV. Unwashed masses, do you understand?!

...That's my script for the TV ad.

Man, LAN gaming on the Vita is going to be sooooooooo much easier and more common with this. Can't believe how stupidly awesome I think this is.

Am I being too hopeful that the Vita TV will you to use the memory cards currently used with your Vita? So that you can switch it from one straight into the other without it being reformatted.

Am I being too hopeful that the Vita TV will you to use the memory cards currently used with your Vita? So that you can switch it from one straight into the other without it being reformatted.

Should work no problem, assuming that you're using the same account on both machines (At least I believe that this is how it currently works with multiple Vitas sharing a memory card)

Should work no problem, assuming that you're using the same account on both machines (At least I believe that this is how it currently works with multiple Vitas sharing a memory card)

Oh, I thought that when you swapped memory cards between Vitas they asked to be formatted! This is great news.

I know we all know its inevitable, but the press release does state "it will be available in Japan, before any other regions" which pretty much confirms it. Maybe February and we play swapsies.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero campaign receives PS Vita and Vita TV releases

"As it happens, the landscape of gaming has shifted somewhat today with Sony's Vita TV announcement," the update states, referring to the PS Vita TV device unveiled during Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia's Press Conference 2013. "In response, we've decided to port wfEngine to Vita as part of our 'work-for-hire' business,"

Promising.

Edit: SCEJA President Talks PlayStation Vita TV, Can Use Bluetooth Keyboards, Explains Color and Strategy

The original PS Vita supported Bluetooth but not the HID (Human Interface Device) profile. Since the PS Vita TV adds HID support, it will be possible to connect Bluetooth keyboards and other devices.

The white color was chosen because the PS Vita is also targeted to people that never had contact with the PlayStation brand, and Sony wanted a “soft” image for the device. Since it will be placed near a TV they wanted it to “have a bit of presence, but still be easy to place”.

The PS Vita TV is not designed to be specialized on PS Vita games. PSP and PS One titles, PlayStation Plus, Video services and PS4 Remote Play are also important to its strategy. The concept that will be used to promote the device is “Let’s play with the TV”, meaning the many things that can be done on a TV.

Edited by Daft

Suicidal creatures heading to Vita? There's a joke in there somewhere....

And the only way to save them is to buy and play the game.

Half Life 3 CONFIRMED.

And the only way to save them is to buy and play the game.

Half Life 3 CONFIRMED.

Not cool bro not cool!

Gabe is never givving us HL3:(

My 32gb Vita memory card should arrive tomorrow so if anybody wants a cheap 8gb one then let me know.