N-Europe

Modern Warfare 3

Murr

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elite means you get any DLC for free when they arise, and it provides you with shitloads of stats about a range of stuff from where you die most, when you die most, which guns do you best at what range, what routes you take and what routes are popular/successful, etc, etc.

It is expected that a year of elite saves you a few quid from buying maps separately... but yeah, it's a step towards the WoW package that I'm not looking forwards to. Never bought a map pack, and I think there's far more to life than being so into a game you need to shovel money into it in order to feel better about yourself.

Elite means you get any DLC for free when they arise, and it provides you with shitloads of stats about a range of stuff from where you die most, when you die most, which guns do you best at what range, what routes you take and what routes are popular/successful, etc, etc.

It is expected that a year of elite saves you a few quid from buying maps separately... but yeah, it's a step towards the WoW package that I'm not looking forwards to. Never bought a map pack, and I think there's far more to life than being so into a game you need to shovel money into it in order to feel better about yourself.

Maybe, just MAYBE, people buy the map packs to get more out of the game because they like playing COD. Maybe the map packs add life to an already huge package and extend its lifespan.

COD comes with 16 maps out of the box, probably the best value of any shooter.

Killzone 3 had a measely 8

Battlefield 3 had 9

Halo Reach had 9

Resistance 3 had 12

COD has double the number of maps of some of the other FPS titles. What's more with the massive number of modes the longevity is extended even further.

The map packs are great for serious COD players and the Treyarch ones especially are great value for money - 4 new maps and a new Zombie map - for a tenner! That's not bad at all.

And after all, you're not forced to buy them!

Its okay everyone, he was drunk. People get confused and start talking crazy when they're drunk.

Personally, I like them. I find it rewarding unlocking stuff generally. What's your gripe with it?

in short: they reward time over skill. The best multiplayer games present you with a complete tool set from the get go, which means the most skilled players will generally win. CoD, and every game since that's included unlocks, reserves the best toys for the players who just play more often. The guns might only be a change of pace from the starter set but the unlocks like claymores, motion sensors, scopes, silencers etc all give an unquestionable advantage to the time invested.

Furthermore, having unlocks removes weapon pick ups from the maps, which means there's no reason to ever leave one area of the map or to even learn it properly because the game fundamentally rewards camping and punishes movement.

Furthermore, having unlocks removes weapon pick ups from the maps, which means there's no reason to ever leave one area of the map or to even learn it properly because the game fundamentally rewards camping and punishes movement.

Fair enough. It's one of the reasons Halo is so brilliant; you have to learn to fight for certain areas of the map that hold the power weapons, which lends itself to team-play and exciting scenarios.

Exactly. Gears is another really good example where starting weapons are good but power weapons are there to drive players in to conflict. If you hang around in Gears, the opposing team are going to be vastly better armed and will totally annihilate you. Same goes for Halo.It's the old risk / reward thing; In CoD, without the reward of power weapons or the advantage of good tactical areas, there's nowhere near enough risk. It allows snipers with masses of ammo to hang back and sit out the game.

Maybe, just MAYBE, people buy the map packs to get more out of the game because they like playing COD. Maybe the map packs add life to an already huge package and extend its lifespan.

Battlefield 3 had 9

Halo Reach had 9

Resistance 3 had 12

COD has double the number of maps of some of the other FPS titles. What's more with the massive number of modes the longevity is extended even further.

The map packs are great for serious COD players and the Treyarch ones especially are great value for money - 4 new maps and a new Zombie map - for a tenner! That's not bad at all.

But the maps are shit, and tiny.

In Battlefield (i haven't played the others so can't comment), there's 'only' 9 maps, but they're really really big, and beautifully designed.

Considering how much I have loved MW & MW2, MW2 had me over 4 days worth of online play so pretty much shagged the shit out of it!

I am distinctly not excited for this and I am not sure why?

I even really enjoyed WoW & Black Ops, although didn't play them online much, more of a single player experience for me.

Anyone cheap supermarket deals happening for this?

Probably... might be able to find out what Tesco might be doing with it today but then again maybe not as I saw an advert in the paper for it stating midnight launch but no mention of any deal...

... which doesn't mean that there won't be one either, there could be but for something as big as this they would usually advertise deals in advance.

Regardless I'm going to be picking my copy up tomorrow morning as I have a free £5 paid pre-order on it - thanks to Deus Ex - plus a £5 off voucher and staff discount = cheap MW3 for me. :)

Battlefield 3 had 9

Halo Reach had 9

Resistance 3 had 12

The 4 games mentioned above are nothing like COD in map size or player count. They also have less of a problem with maps becoming stale.

If anything it reflects really well on Battlefield 3 as those maps are huge and can be played in so many different ways. Small areas within each map could contain several COD maps. That is not even counting the preorder bonus expansion which includes stuff besides just new maps. :) Console players will be surprised and impressed by the BF extras that are coming.

Battlefield 3 had 9

Halo Reach had 9

Resistance 3 had 12

Reach has Forge, so techinally is has unlimited maps.

Once again, Zechs Fail.

..Are there people here really defending map packs? My god.

I have no where near a good enough PC to be considered a 'PC gamer', but I very much doubt I'll be buying any console FPS games after how this generation has turned out.

Map packs are designed to lock out the majority of the community to those who haven't bought it. It's not bought to 'enhance your experience', it's bought because you're technically threatened reduced enjoyment because you're going to have to wait a lot longer to join a game.

Still not seeing any incentive to leave Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Star Wars Battlefront 2 behind.

Actually from Modern Warfare 2 onwards in the COD series, not having the map packs meant nothing, you could find a game as quick as having all the map packs, you were never in a lobby that loaded one of the downloadable maps, it was all separate. So it was never pushed in your face.

People play the campaign in these games?

Amazon were quoting a Friday delivery date for this for some reason so I've cancelled my pre-order with them and going to head along to Tesco at midnight to try and pick up a copy of the Hardened Edition!

Edited by Charlie