Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So excited we are back in Brazil! Best race of the season alongside Spa.

The BBC announced what races they are going to be showing next year. These include Spain, Europe, Korea, Abu Dhabi & Monaco.

No Australia, Canada, Brazil or Monza :( I'd even prefer Malaysia over some of those! Why do we get half of the rubbish tracks!

Hopefully they'd get Australia if Bahrain doesn't make it.

Meanwhile Sky certainly seem to be putting the effort in!! *the wankers... trying to tempt me like this!*

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96445

Sky Sports to launch bespoke F1 channel for 2012 coverage

Sky Sports will launch a dedicated new channel, Sky Sports F1 HD, for its coverage of Formula 1 races in 2012.

Starting in March next year, the channel will offer live coverage of every practice, qualifying session and race throughout the season, with Sky confirming that races will be broadcast without adverts.

Sky's interactive service will also allow fans to follow on-track action through a selection of on-board cameras and race data, and also allow them to go behind the scenes with the teams along the pit lane.

Sky says the channel will be provided at no extra cost to existing Sky Sports 1 and 2 or Sky HD subscribers, and will also be available online and through mobile and tablet devices via Sky Go.

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said the deal would give fans greater access to Formula 1 both at each grand prix and across the season.

"Formula 1 followers are hungry for more and we want to give them the ultimate experience," Francis said. "It's not just every minute of every race but a channel devoted to Formula 1.

"We can now tell the whole story of the season, from every grand prix, from start to finish. Formula 1 will get the full Sky Sports treatment.

"We have big plans for live shows and a rich line-up of Formula 1 programmes; getting to the drivers, exploring the technology and lapping up the drama.

"With a dedicated channel for Formula 1 we can also give all sports fans the depth and breadth of sports they demand every weekend, right through the year."

Edited by Retro_Link

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96515

Martin Brundle leaves BBC for Sky Sports' Formula 1 coverage from 2012

Martin Brundle has confirmed that he will leave the BBC to become part of the Sky Sports Formula 1 broadcast line-up from 2012.

The former F1 racer and Le Mans winner made the announcement in his Sunday Times newspaper column, saying that the fact that Sky will carry the whole season live - while the BBC will only show 10 races live and the rest in delayed highlights programmes - was key in his decision.

"In 2012 I will be working with Sky Sports F1 television," Brundle wrote. "The fact that their newly-announced and dedicated F1 channel will have no in-race advertising was a key factor, but most importantly I need to commentate on every race live. Recorded and delayed sports television doesn't give me the adrenalin fix I crave.

"There will also be more airtime for the technical features I so enjoy crafting. It's been a privilege to be part of the BBC team, but now I have a new motivation and challenge."

Hmm, oh well... he's great, but he has been a bit miserable at times of late.

Crofty for BBC lead commentator?... with guest driver co-commentators... could be great.

Hopefully they'd get Australia if Bahrain doesn't make it.

Meanwhile Sky certainly seem to be putting the effort in!! *the wankers... trying to tempt me like this!*

If they don't give Virgin Media that channel I will be absolutely raging.

It's a shame the dream BBC team has been broken up. The pundits and commentary have been top notch this season.

If they don't give Virgin Media that channel I will be absolutely raging.

It's a shame the dream BBC team has been broken up. The pundits and commentary have been top notch this season.

It does sound like it could be a pretty great channel!

Yeah it's a real shame!

[Apparently] the Twitter feed on the BBC F1 website no longer follows Martin Brundle, Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie!

That would be a bit of a blow to the BBC if it means anything!

Ted has been fantastic over the years and will be a really difficult position to replace!

Lee seems a good fit for Sky, but again has been the best in her position that I can remember.

Yeah it was a pretty boring race tbh! Where was the rain!!

After the race Webber seemed to be the only that realised the situation!

I thought Eddie/Christian Horner etc... saying what a great drive from Mark/he's finally proved his worth etc... was a bit rediculous!

He's had rubbish season and there's no way he would have won today if it wasn't for Vettels gearbox and then being let past.

Wonder who will take over from Martin then, because I read somewhere today that it was Crofty's last 5Live show and that he might be off to Sky too?... maybe he's gonna commentate for the Practice sessions?

*Here they go, UP the hill!! Really on a charge now!!* :blank:

I think 2011 will be considered an important and dramatic year when we look back on it from the far future, when Vettel & Hamilton are reaching the autumn of their F1 careers with young wolves baying for the glory as a golden generation finally moves on. Breaking all the records and still only knee deep into his career, there's nothing to stop Vettel from climbing and higher and higher, but the rest of a long career is still to come.

The last driver to comfortably win 2 championships back-to-back (Alonso) hasn't won another since, 5 years ago now, with no guarantee of another. Hamilton looked set to dominate it all forever but through slips, stumbles and plain bad luck still only a single title which should have been two, and could have been 3. So it's going to be fascinating to see how Vettel's career unfolds after this year. Will 2011 have heralded a new era of Schumacher-esque dominance, or will Vettel be looking back wondering how it all seemed so simple at the start? Can't wait to find out, even if I have to do it by radio & highlights, or even in the pub.

Well I gotta say I didn't mind seeing Webber on the podium as the winner, he's had a tough season and finally got a little reward for it. As mentioned in previous posts though, had Vettel's gear box been fine, Webber would of taken 2nd at best, but still. At least it makes the results look a little more interesting.

Sauber pipped Toro Rosso to 7th. Glad about that. When they played the team radio regarding Kobayashi to not race Di Resta, I just had a feeling something would happen and Kobayashi would slip out of the points, or Algeshari (*SP) would end up pipping 10th spot stealing 7th in the constructors.

Encouraging signs for Lotus (Caterhams) as kovalainen is pushing the car further up the grid from starts. Some high finishes in some races, just 4 places off a point in a few.

Yesterday when they ended the show with highlights, and Kasabian, I was slightly emotional. I figure the presenting crew would go different ways, Have to admit I'm surprised that Jake isn't going to Sky (although time will tell) a move to Sky would be a huge step for him.

WHen they showed the whole 'BBC covering 20 races next year!' thing I misunderstood it and thought that they had all 20 races live, then they let me down with the next part saying '10 live'..... such a shame,

The new f1 channel on Sky sounds pretty decent, but I also would love this to come to Virgin Media.

Yeah I really hope Caterham can step it up next year, Trulli is lucky to still be in that team!

Personally I'd have liked to see Toro Rosso claim 7th... I've been really impressed with Algasuari lately, and hope he's in the car next year.

I didn't think the Kasabian closer was as good as the closer last year, but it was still great!

About halfway through there was a sweeping helicopter shot of the cars climbing up over the top of Eau Rouge... just that image alone... the cars, the stunning setting, the sense of history you get with that circuit and that hill... combined with the music and the emotion of a season coming to an end and watching the story of that season through the credits... :heart:

Kimi Raikkonen to return to Formula 1 with Lotus Renault GP

Former world champion Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 next season after signing a two-year deal with Lotus Renault GP.

The 32-year-old Finn left Formula 1 at the end of 2009 to pursue a career in rallying.

"My hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming," said Raikkonen. "It was an easy choice to return with Lotus Renault GP."

Raikkonen's new team will be known as Lotus F1 Team from 2012.

The 2007 world champion added: "I have been impressed by the scope of the team's ambition. Now I'm looking forward to playing an important role in pushing the team to the very front of the grid."

More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15934329.stm

So Petrov and Raikkonen next season then, I assume Petrov will keep his seat anyway. Also no sign of Kubica for Lotus next year, wonder if he'll just wait till 2013 and get a seat in Ferrari?

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!! :D

Can't say I'm a massive fan of the team... but they should be a more competitive car than the Williams at least!

I'd imagine his two year contract has a get out clause after the first year if the car doesn't perform.

6 World Champions on the grid next year!!

If Kubica did make a comeback in 2012 and he was fit... can you imagine what a dream team that would be!! Two no-nonsense pure racers!!

But yeah it's probably likely Petrov will keep the seat... though I'd quite like to see Senna in the team as he's been doing a good job!

EDIT:

Video Interview with Kimi...

He really looks Happy to be back in F1!!

Love the answer to the last question! :)

Edited by Retro_Link

Did think that, after the Williams deal went under, he'd perhaps head to Lotus (Renault).

A shame that they've pretty much said that there's no chance of Kubica getting a drive next year as they don't think he'll be fit until after the first race (Kubica's manager thinks otherwise) and all Petrov needs to do to keep his seat is throw money at them (which he'll have thanks to the Russian sponsors). Like you said Retro, a Kubica/Raikkonen team would be brilliant not only for the sport but for Lotus in getting back up to the top of the grid as they'd both push the develop along (something which their car this year sorely lacked because of Petrov's inexperience at leading the team).

So yeah, great to have another world champion on the grid and he sounds like he's really up for it so should be good.

I'm just wondering when Williams will get round to deciding whether or not their keeping Rubens for next year, and if not who'll take Rubens on. Probably the worst thing about Sunday's race (besides the race itself which was meh) was the whole uncertainty over Barrichello still driving next year and if not, then it's a real shame he hasn't had a proper send off. Probably one of the best drivers to have not won a WC. Hoping he's on the grid next year anyway.

So happy that Kimi is back, really looking forward to seeing how he does.

Hopefully Rubens will be around too, but to call him one of the best drivers not to win a WC is over the top. He's had championship winning cars and not won it, with two teams, so I don't buy that at all. I mean, he got beaten by Button...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!