Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sucks, thank god my family have Sky so I won't be missing out, but still why would the BBC drop it over other sports no-one cares for? I love the coverage and it was an improvement over ITV, I can see viewing figures dropping like the rest of you can and when the sport needs the exposure this happens.

Seriously this is the worst day in F1 since May 1st 94. It's just bullshit, the whole thing. It'll be pushed to Sky Sports 2 due to the overlap with the football and that's £40 a month I think, so £480 a year for 10 races.

This is my last season properly following F1. I don't care just to watch the odd F1 event; for me F1 is about continued development and manufacturers and drivers pushing each other race after race. Missing every other race is just ridiculous. The backlash on james allen's blog is incredible and makes for quite a read.

I just can't bring myself to think/say that I'd not watch F1 again! It's such a massive part of my life, in that I get so much enjoyment from watching it and following it/news/updates etc...

Fuck!!... FUCK!!

I guess I'm just gonna have to resort to whatever is available, highlights shows or whathaveyou... but I absolutely HATE the idea of, like you say Goron, missing the full story of the championship.

---

EDIT:

Yeah people on James Allen's site make the point that delayed coverage takes some of the tension away.

And the fact that we'd better get good at not hearing the results of the race throughout the day!

Edited by Retro_Link

I just can't bring myself to think/say that I'd not watch F1 again! It's such a massive part of my life, in that I get so much enjoyment from watching it and following it/news/updates etc...

Fuck!!... FUCK!!

I guess I'm just gonna have to resort to whatever is available, highlights shows or whathaveyou... but I absolutely HATE the idea of, like you say Goron, missing the full story of the championship.

---

EDIT:

Yeah people on James Allen's site make the point that delayed coverage takes some of the tension away.

And the fact that we'd better get good at not hearing the results of the race throughout the day!

This.

Basically I need to avoid looking online/reading texts from others so it's not spoiled.

But let's say this. Would a race like Spa 2008 be as good if you watched the re-run of the last few laps compared to watching it live? The answer is clearly no. There's nothing compared to watching it live with the driver tracker and live timing. I appeciate what these drivers do as much as I find it exciting. A re-run would just take away the excitement of hearing 24 V8's lining up on the grid.

I wonder how it's decided which half the BBC gets and how much leverage it has to choose. I shan't shed many tears not witnessing Valencia or Bahrain in the heat of the moment. I hope the option to show the race verbatim gets picked up, I've at least already grown used to watching races after the fact due to work and what-not. I watched Hamilton's 2008 epic Monaco victory two days later via low def ITV online Glitch-Vision but no matter how you view it I find a good race rarely looses it's drama.

The silver lining in following it on BBC Radio if need be is David Croft's consistently excellent commentary. Listening to races will be like the old times, when folks walked uphill to and from school and bran muffins cost a mere hayp'ny & thruppence.

Edited by gaggle64

According to Bernie and Martin Whitmarsh, via James Allen's blog, the BBC will be showing a FULL re-run of the races they don't broadcast (i.e. tape delay, similar to what they have in America), not just highlights. While this is SOMETHING positive in the fact that it'll still be possible to watch all 20 races in full on FTA, one only needs to look at the popularity of the sport in the US to see just how much damage this will do. The casual fans will just switch off, and that's a good 80-90% of them.

Whoop, it's pouring with rain at the Hungaroring apparently. Looks like it's going to be another good 'un.

Also Button's official website reported last night that was severely injured in a car crash, but it was a hack and he's fine and still handsome and available for more Head & Shoulders commercials.

Yeah Jenson tweeted saying that that person obviously had nothing better to do on a Saturday night and to #getsomefriends :p

Jensons post qually 'Cake interview' was hillarious! :D

REALLY looking forward to this race, hope Lewis does manage to get away ok on the dirty side and doesn't get jumped too badly.

Gah, incredibly disappointing for Hamilton, almost walked away with it but a couple of bad tire calls threw it back again, leaving Vettel to extend his lead. No way he's going to loose it now with the chasing pack all battling each other. McLaren seems to be on the pace at least, so the excellent racing looks set to continue. Great for Button winning his 200th was a top result, tremendously well deserved.

What on earth happened with Heidfeld's Renault? Don't think I've ever seen a car blow up like that, even with an overheating engine. Probably better look at that.

Edited by gaggle64

I wondered later if maybe the KERS battery exploded, and the BBC guys seemed to wonder the same thing.

Decent race, but the tyre calls/pit stops kinda ruined the race at the front a bit in the end.

Good win for Jenson, shame Vettel still got the overall result he needed.

---

EDIT:

It suddenly dawned on me during the race coverage today that if Vettel wins the championship this year, he'll have won as many titles as Alonso!

:woops:

Edited by Retro_Link

• 4 weeks later...
1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!