NEurope
chairdriver

Hurried Important Decisions

So, was told this morning that I have to decide my options for this term and the next, ASAP.

Basically in second year, for the first time, you get to choose what you study. We have to choose modules that make up 80 lectures, each module carrying either 8 or 16 lectures. There's a whole range of choices, from Group Theory to Quantum Theory.

While this doesn't sound like that big a decision, it really is. There's this weird thing in maths; a fissure between applied maths and pure maths. applied mathematicians seem to see pure mathematicians as pretentious and head-in-the-clouds, and pure mathematicians always go on about how applied is unmeticuous and dirty. Of course, both hold each other in high regard, since everyone is so aware that maths is the queen of all sciences, and stuns, and obviously I'm making stereotypes, but it is based somewhat on this weird mutual disdain that is often present.

Basically, applied maths is so much easier to do if you're not a natural mathematician. It's so much easier to blag and learn and regurgitate, whereas pure is so impenetrable. You literally have to be great. But pure is so much more interesting (to me anyway). I'm going to take Topology and Lebesgue Integration, because I'm frakking floored by the whole idea of both, but I'm so petrified to approach anything else pure, because it has so much impervious.

So I'm at a crossroads. Should I go with what's interesting, but difficult? Should I go with kinda boring easier stuff? Should I do a mixture of both, but risk making it harder for myself (some courses depend on knowledge from others, so if I only do some of the applied courses I might have to do extra reading)? Also, which side do I want to align myself with? Not actually an issue for me, because I don't exactly fit in at the best of times.

I hate time pressure. Kill me, pills.

Well, I know that pure maths have always been endlessly more fascinating to me than applied maths. It's harder, yes, but it's also much more interesting, I find. It looks at the very nature and complex intricacies of what is one of the most fundamental concepts of the world around us and our perception of it. Knowing your personality and interests, I'd encourage you to go for it despite your fears about the difficulty. I think you'd love it.

Read the module outlines and pick what seems interesting regardless of the field. Take lecturers into account too, as some can present material very well and others are just doyles.

I did this at the start of my third year and ended up with a load of stats modules, which is not what I expected I'd be doing when I started my degree.

Being interested in a module is, in my opinion, the most important thing to consider. I did this optional Accounting and Finance module last year because it was easy, but I didn't get a mark as good as I was expecting because I had zero motivation for the course.

I understand your dilemma though, being a mathematician myself (I'm also going through my module choices for this term right now). With Maths, if you find something so hard that you don't understand it, then it's unlikely that you'll enjoy it. The best thing to do is to look back at the modules you've done so far at uni and remember which ones you found easy and which you found interesting. Discover what kind of mathematician you are. It turned out that I "like" Number Theory, Analysis and Abstract Algebra whereas Geometry can fuck right off! I'm not sure what to say about your pure/applied situation because at Warwick we pretty much focus entirely on the pure stuff.

Also take Odwin's advice. Go to most of the first lectures and see which ones have the good lecturers. Maybe you're not a lecture person but for me personally a good lecturer can make or break a module.

I second Oddy's suggestion, especially about the tutors/lecturers. I avoided a subject I had strongly considered doing in my third year because I wasn't a fan of the lecturers teaching methods and thought it would be more detrimental to try and put up with it than pick another module I would prefer instead.

Kill me, pills.

Don't Give Up.

Just do Pure. We all prefer Pure. Pure is great.

My mate OD'd today (I saved his life, I R win) so the whole melodramatic Chairdriver stuff is once again rather annoying to me.

interesting, but difficult

If you find it interesting you'll find yourself putting more effort into it and probably won't find it as difficult as you initially believe.

I chose my classes for Uni from 2nd year onwards using the following ranking system (1 is most important)

1. The lecturer (if a lecturer is boring I'll never learn anything from it

2. What the class actually is

3. The time of the class (because I can't afford to take too much time off work)

4. Course work / Exam (a class which is purely coursework based is much better than an exam...)

5. Tutorials (How often and when)

Why not let maths decide?

Surely there is some crazy math based equation to work it all out?

What is pure and applied mathemathics exactly?

I'm too are thinking about what courses to take, but I got until February 1st to decide. Regardless it's going to be the most boring and uninteresting semester I will have. The college is pushing people to take an internship or go abroad so they don't have many courses to choose from for those who stay.

I chose my classes for Uni from 2nd year onwards using the following ranking system (1 is most important)

1. The lecturer (if a lecturer is boring I'll never learn anything from it

2. What the class actually is

3. The time of the class (because I can't afford to take too much time off work)

4. Course work / Exam (a class which is purely coursework based is much better than an exam...)

5. Tutorials (How often and when)

I go by similar priorities when choosing a class, too. A good lecturer will present a subject you may not be interested in as interesting and worthwhile to learn, while a bad lecturer will make an interesting subject boring and difficult. Of course ideally all lecturers should be competent and you should be able to choose in order of interest, but...

About mathematics, I'm really bad it so I won't contribute to the discussion :p *exits*

From my point of view:

1. You strike me as the kind of chap who fits better with the "Pure" side of maths;

2. You find Pure to be more interesting. That's a huge plus*, no matter how difficult this course may end up being;

3. Adding* the two points above, I believe you should follow Pure.

3,5. Odwin's advice has plenty of merit, though. Watching a few lectures will dissipate a few doubts

*(Lol, basic-arithmetic-related puns)

So, made my choice this morning:

Topology

Lebesgue Integration

Calculus of Variations

Quantum Theory

Fluid Dynamics & Waves

Probability

Chose mostly applied. But I'm so floored by the idea of Topology / Integration that it's fine.

So what does that mean and how much of that was influenced by this topic?

[i'm not sure about the first question but I'm expecting "fuck all" for the second]

So what does that mean and how much of that was influenced by this topic?

[i'm not sure about the first question but I'm expecting "fuck all" for the second]

Topology and integration are pure, the rest are applied (apart from probability, which is sorta both).

I was relatively influenced by this thread. Wasn't originally going to do fluids or probability, but realised the tutors for both stun. The fluids tutor is enthusiastic and young (30, young for a fellow), and makes you work. [and is the only mathematician who I've ever seen who is vaguely attractive.] The probability tutor is this really eccentric old man, who is genuinely amusing, and adds to my life.

It always amazes me that Chair does maths.

Yeah that's all I got.

That's the whole joke! Everyone assumes I do History or something; only those who know, know.

Edited by chairdriver

Why not let maths decide?

Surely there is some crazy math based equation to work it all out?

Sounds a bit applied to me. :heh:

[and is the only mathematician who I've ever seen who is vaguely attractive.]

*offended*

Whenever I have an important, time-dependant decision to make I just create a thread on the internet about it instead.

Truth be told I can never resist a Renegade Action even if I am full Paragon. You know something good is going to happen!