N-Europe

Album openers.

ipaul

Coheed and Cambria - Keeping the Blade

The day has arrived when we have agreed. It's a shame that IV is the only CaC album that is consistent in quality, though.

____

This one is a fantastic opener imo, because it's one of the most desperate songs I've ever heard, and it's complelty different to the rest of the album, pretty much... it's just hauntingly beautifull, really:

____

Because it just pounds masssively.

____

This one pretty much speaks for itself:

____

Best folk song I've ever heard. Can't find the original version, so fuck it:

____

This one is special for me because I grew up with this song, since it's a flok song from the region my mom comes from, and she sang it to me when I was a kid. This version nails it.

Skip to 1:05, the first minute is just something they added. Portuguese folk music at it's best!

___

...and of course (and shame on everyone here for not mentioning it yet), the best opener of all time, undisputably:

Will be back with more, yo!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and of course (and shame on everyone here for not mentioning it yet), the best opener of all time, undisputably:

Will be back with more, yo!

I can't believe I missed that actually. Do you think the WYWH album is their best? I'm a little torn between that and The Wall.

I've been listening to each track in this thread, up to O_W's post. Somehow it reminded me of this album opener -- I wanted to post it simply becaues it's a fantastic song;

Not brill as an album starter per-se, but just a grand ol' track :) I remember when I found out this was the original version of that dude's acoustic song. I heard this - I succumbed.

I've been listening to each track in this thread, up to O_W's post. Somehow it reminded me of this album opener -- I wanted to post it simply becaues it's a fantastic song;

Not brill as an album starter per-se, but just a grand ol' track :) I remember when I found out this was the original version of that dude's acoustic song. I heard this - I succumbed.

I see your heartbeats... and I raise you a Silent Shout:

There's loads of album openers that I like - a good one really sets the tone for the rest of the album.

There's too many to think of but these are a good start

Aerosmith - Eat the Rich

Battery by Metallica (already posted on the last page I see :) )

Won't be a very popular choice, but I like the opener to Saints of Los Angeles by Motley Crue

And who can leave this classic out? Say what you will about G'n'R but this song kicks ass!

Edited by Dog-amoto

I always thought Blackened was a much more powerfull opener than battery. But I know I'm in the minority!

____

These just popped into my mind:

Mars Volta, ahh.... ignore the video.

____

____

(the best opener I've heard in an hardcore/punk album)

____

Because múm were once perfect.

____

____

Because 2010 deserves it too, and a good dose of pure rock never hurts, when it's well done:

____

____

Music is exhilarating, isn't it? =)

Originally track 2 on Body Talk Pt.1, after Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do, with the release of the proper album (Body Talk) after the release of all 3 parts seperately, those two songs are swapped but still start off the tracklist. Pitchfork mentioned how it's a perfect "mission statement" or whatever - it kinda sums her up so well. How this album (which is brilliant) is bursting with synths and electronic sounds that it runs the risk of becoming cold and detached. And I bet it would, in the hands of a lesser talent. But Fembots have feelings too, and Robyn has an indescribable talent of being able to fill a cold aural environment with a tonne of emotion and life.

O_W; yeah silent shout is a better album starter. Atmospheric mould that grows before your very ears is pretty much my favourite kind of album intro.

But to be honest, none of their albums are 100%. You ever listen to The Faint? I got into them about the same time as The Knife. The Faint are a lot more Look At My Cock due to a male lead singer, but the sound is similar. To be OT;

Not fantastic as a starter, to be fair, but I wanted to give you a taste.

Their album 'closer', which just reminds me of suicidal streetlamps. if they weren't american and instead norwegian, I think we'd have something beautiful here.

Hey man, you're not the one who's been up all night doing job interviews via phone with people on the far side of the world! :P

Do you think jay repeated other people's posts when he stayed up all night drinking litres of cider watching a season and a half of his latest TV series crush? Do ya? DO YA?

He did not.