NEurope
gaggle64

Mass Effect 3

Coincidentally I was just playing Mordin's loyalty mission. Apparently he once killed a man with farm equipment. He rules.

Hear's something I just learned - apparently the PS3 version of ME2 is using the ME3 version of the engine. This bodes well given how sharp the PS3 version looks when compared.

Edited by gaggle64

You know, I hope that's one element they keep underwraps in Mass Effect 3, i.e. what Tali/the Quarians actually look like. It adds an element of mystery to the characters, and there really isn't a whole load of that seeing as you can pretty much push them to give up personal information through the conversation trees. I have seen a lot of people asking for it elsewhere but I do think they should leave her masked and keep up the mystery and allow people to draw their own conclusions.

Eh... to me it just looks like the contrast is way down on the 360 ver :heh:

Yes. I don't know how IGN can even post a comparison when they've completely messed up the settings for one of the versions.

Eh... to me it just looks like the contrast is way down on the 360 ver :heh:

Was kinda thinking the same thing but figured it'd sound fanboyish if I said anything :p. Personally I can't see the difference but I wouldn't be bothered if there was. I've read some comments about Xboxer's feeling cheated, what do they expect Bioware to do? Re-release ME2 for the sake of some aesthetic changes. It's just a ridiculous thing to get annoyed over, we're still GETTING ME3 with the new engine so what's the prob bob.

I don't think it's just the contrast, his facial features are better defined and the lipsynching is better. That's definite just from replaying the first few seconds a couple of times though because I'm lazy. The rest looks better to me too but you guys seem to think contrast is the only difference?

Edit

Just looking at the first few seconds again there is such a clear difference to me. In the one on the right the guy is all listless and looking off to the right. In the left one he has some life to him and is staring into Shephard's eyes. His facial features are so much better too.

Edited by heroicjanitor

Pff, you can't tell which way he's looking on the right because his eyes are lost in a sea of bland and washed out colour. There's no shine to his sweat, you can barely make out his facial hair. Mass Effect 2 did not look like that on my TV.

There's nothing wrong with the display settings of the 360 version,

. Edited by Aimless
Found a better video link

It's definitely not how the 360 version looked on my TV either. Looked pretty much identical to the PS3 footage. Nowhere near as washed out as that.

Does make you wonder why EA have done this video. I'm guessing they're wanting to drum up interest for the PS3 version by saying it looks technically better than the 360 version but really, its an inaccurate comparison because I know for a fact, having played the game recently, that it doesn't look that washed out, and I'm only running it at full resolution.

Even if this was actual X-360 quality, which I doubt, the improvements in the PS3 version could come from texture filtering, improved contrast and anti-aliasing alone.

Also the two videos are not completely in sync which makes the comparison harder.

I played ME2 on PC and that looked a lot like what they showed as PS3 footage in that video.

Okay, here's a direct feed capture of the scene in the video taken by Digital Foundry:

ss_preview_360_011.jpg.jpg

Seriously, it looks like that. However, other environments with less harsh lighting/different colour correction will look much darker, which I assume is what people are remembering.

Some amazing sounding (literally) news - Mass Effect 3's soundtrack will be scored by Clint Mansell - the composer of many film soundtracks including Black Swan, The Fountain and the brilliant, brilliant, brilliant soundtrack to Moon.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Previous ME composer Jack Wall has confirmed it, saying it's time for him to move on to new projects.

I very much enjoyed the soundtrack of the previous two titles, but this is a match made in heaven.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-10-Clint-Mansell-making-Mass-Effect-3-music

Ehhh, okay fine, good composer, but having such a consistent trilogy in every other way then changing composer at the last minute seems kind of stupid. I really hope this wont cause a drastic change in atmosphere, it was identical between the first 2.

Like...a change in the galaxy map music is a big risk in itself! Christ that virtually IS Mass Effect, so any replacement better capture the right tone.

I really don't think there's anything to worry about. For one thing both released games actually have pretty different soundtracks — the first is very Vangelis, the second much more about bombastic orchestra — plus the series has already had four different composers work on it.

I can't see one more cook burning the kitchen down, especially when it's such a talented one.

It's more like swapping out the soup chef for a chef with 5 Michelin stars. This can only go so wrong. It'll probably be oh-so right.

I felt the music in ME1 was much more stand-out as opposed to 2. The music in 2 lacked something...the fact that the guy who composed Moon is doing it is good news to me.

Wasn't Richard Jacques responsible for the Blade-Runner style music in the first one? I don't think he was involved in the sequel so maybe that's why it lacks that special something? The music was definitely better in the first game from what I remember.

Not sure how reliable the source is (http://www.videogamer.com/news/mass_effect_3_details_revealed.html) but some supposed new details have come out...

Notably, RPG elements have been expanded from the second game - the third game occupies the middle ground between Mass Effect 1 and 2. Skill trees will be larger and have more options, and powers can evolve multiple times as opposed to once.(Hopefully like Dragon Age 2)

Weapons will also be customisable (Sorely missing last time) and include modifications such as underbarrels and scopes - the changes are cosmetic as well as affecting the behaviour of the weapon. Classes can now wield every weapon type, too, but only the Soldier will be able to carry them all at once.

The game will include multiple endings, with some good and some bad. These will be influenced by the choices you make and also the members of your party.

Returning squadmates include Garrus Vakarian (provided he didn't die in Mass Effect 2), Liara T'Soni, and either Kaidan Alenko and Ashley Williams (Woo! Can't remember who I let die though lol) - depending on which one you didn't send off to the slaughter in Mass Effect 1.

Also making an appearance, but not necessarily as squadmates, are Urdnot Wrex, Mordin Solus, and Legion. This all depends on whether or not they were killed off in former games, of course. David Anderson will also show his face in some capacity.

The game starts on Earth, with Shepard on trial following the events of the recent Arrival DLC for Mass Effect 2. The Reapers will launch their assault on the planet during the proceedings, and Shepard will flee to the Normandy, blast off into the Milky Way, and look to gather a pack of allies. (So much for being prepared...)

The Reapers are attacking more than just Earth, however - out in the galaxy you'll be fighting Husks made up of every race. Up until now we've only seen human husks in the series.

You'll also be up against The Illusive Man (voiced by Martin Sheen, and responsible for Shepard's resurrection in Mass Effect 2), who is now gunning for Shepard and his team. Reasons why are unknown at this point.

Not sure what I think of the Reapers just 'turning up'. What was the point of destroying the Alpha Relay then??

Edited by ViPeR

They're apparently from Game Informer, whose next issue has a 12 page preview on the game, so it's pretty reliable.

And yeah, there are potentially some spoilers already in that info so tread lightly if you don't want to know some of the subplots for ME3.

I'll similarly tag my thoughts on announced characters so far in case people want to go cold turkey on info:

Ashley/Kaiden coming back is good. Kaiden died in ME1 on my save so I'll have Ashley coming back. Hopefully Miranda is confirmed as a squad member as well because I want to see the argument that stems from me having carried over my save where I shacked up with Ashley in the first game and Miranda in the second. I'm doubting they'll allow for some manage e trois so that'll potentially be another big decision in this for those having saves with potential love triangles.

They're apparently from Game Informer, whose next issue has a 12 page preview on the game, so it's pretty reliable.

And yeah, there are potentially some spoilers already in that info so tread lightly if you don't want to know some of the subplots for ME3.

I'll similarly tag my thoughts on announced characters so far in case people want to go cold turkey on info:

Ashley/Kaiden coming back is good. Kaiden died in ME1 on my save so I'll have Ashley coming back. Hopefully Miranda is confirmed as a squad member as well because I want to see the argument that stems from me having carried over my save where I shacked up with Ashley in the first game and Miranda in the second. I'm doubting they'll allow for some manage e trois so that'll potentially be another big decision in this for those having saves with potential love triangles.

How could anyone let Ashley live, especially after she would happily shoot Wrex on Virmire?! I laughed when I got her arse nuked!

How could anyone let Ashley live, especially after she would happily shoot Wrex on Virmire?! I laughed when I got her arse nuked!

It was between Ashley and "woe-is-me" Kaidan Alenko. It wasn't a difficult choice. :heh:

Looking goooood. Blurry magazine shots around if you want to find them - I'm pretty okay with spoiling myself a little bit. Bioware's always done a bang up job of only letting you see what they want you to and frankly I could've sat and watched someone play ME2 to completion and still enjoyed just as much.

I have been saying/thinking for awhile that i wanted to reply both games ready for the third to have my own story since i couldn't transfer my ME save to ME2 at the time and i have now got round to starting!!

I have just finished playing through Mass Effect. Managed to get my Shepard to level 50. And i have now just imported my ME character to the second for the first time! :D

Edited by Mike1988uk

My Shepard! As promised... months ago :D

5681215629_e1c879eda8.jpg

5681786122_1727591755.jpg

Awful quality due to offscreen photography :(