Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Happenstance

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just completed it on Crushing, very easy I felt. Picked up all the treasures too, at some point I might bother with the lesser trophies.

It surprised me how conserved the format (and even the direction of the story) was to UC2. And was a bit disappointing too, if I'm honest.

Running across collapsing platforms out of another self-destructing paradise-like kingdom containing a supernatural world-threatening discovery really was deja vu. I think they should have a small break from making UC for a while.

Retro consoles are far less complex, architecturally. Heat is the main issue, with older machines able to rely on passive cooling whereas now fans are required to keep things from melting; it doesn't help that companies now have to use inferior lead-free solder, although they'll probably be more prepared for that with the next wave of machines.

Speaking of which, I think it would be best if Uncharted went on hiatus until PS4. Not that I wouldn't buy and enjoy another PS3 entry, but I think Naughty Dog deserve a chance to work on something different — perhaps a few smaller downloadable titles? — and the series would be sure to benefit from both new hardware and an extended development period.

As much as I enjoy the game as a shooter, I feel it's an IP that's perfectly positioned to take a fresh look at the genre: have a greater focus on melee, with the actual shooting being less frequent but more intense; bit of an odd comparison, but think of something like Dark Souls' combat. At the moment you'll finish the game having killed well over 500 goons, and I think you could reduce that by a factor of 10 whilst still keeping combat interesting if you had the right mechanics to work with.

Yeah I agree on that. They definitely need to put Uncharted on the back burner for a bit me thinks. We don't need a 4th PS3 Uncharted. Support the current game with tons of DLC.

I'd love them to make a character platformer. A completely new character would be cool.

As for the shooting aspect they could do away with it largely I feel. Think Indiana Jones, less gunfights but the ones that are there are more stand out and meaningful. I mean for example, why oh why despite me apparently having the only set of books etc...do I always manage to get followed. I would love to not get to the bottom of one of these temples/crypts etc get my new clues and not be discovered and have to shoot my way out.

I think the shooting is an important part but they could take a different approach to it in order to better fit the pulp adventures the game's emulating. To play armchair designer for a moment, here's some things you could do to make a very different type of action game:

• Drake can't soak up bullets. Instead of a health bar enemies' bullets would simply miss you — think shots trailing behind James Bond. However, if you spent more than a couple of seconds out of cover, or tried to rush an enemy with a gun head on, you would take a bullet and die almost immediately; you could have a bit of leeway, at least on easier difficulties.
  • No fine aiming on L1, as the gunplay wouldn't be about headshots. Blindfire would be more important than ever as you could use it to suppress enemies, causing them to cower and stop shooting whilst you move in.
  • Avoiding enemy fire and taking out goons would fill a metre — let's call it a Heroism Gauge — which would allow you to trigger cinematic gunplay somewhat similar to Splinter Cell Conviction's Mark and Execute system. Results would depend on what you were aiming at: it could be shooting a weapon out of an enemy's hands, igniting a conveniently placed propane tank or shooting down a chandelier atop a pack of goons.
  • No reloading. Once a gun's spent you chuck it; ideally at an enemy! Rather than sitting behind a wall and popping out to shoot guys the game could be about switching between cover in order to hit enemies in their vulnerable spot, occasionally stopping to regain your composure/'health', then making use of their weapon to deal with the next guy.

The basic idea behind the above isn't to remove killing entirely — Indiana Jones commits his share of murders — but to have it be more befitting of the genre. As is Nate's a bit of executioner, breaking necks and chaining headshots; part of the reason I like the new melee system in U3 is that it captures the slapstick brawls of an action adventure tale.

[*]Avoiding enemy fire and taking out goons would fill a metre — let's call it a Heroism Gauge — which would allow you to trigger cinematic gunplay somewhat similar to Splinter Cell Conviction's Mark and Execute system. Results would depend on what you were aiming at: it could be shooting a weapon out of an enemy's hands, igniting a conveniently placed propane tank or shooting down a chandelier atop a pack of goons.

The Bourne Conspiracy had this, and it was incredibly tacky. This kind of thing - as well as the simple addition of a metre on the HUD, would completely destroy the cinematic feeling. The Bourne Conspiracy did have some good ideas but they were poorly pulled off (i.e. the way the combat system worked during gunplay - which Naught Dog took and did well).

The problem with massively reducing the combat is how it would affect sales, no matter how great the final product would be.

I've never had a console break on me ever, or a control for that matter, or a game.

I've never had a controller break on me either, as in it just decides to stop working. I have however been responsible for destroying several controllers, thus rendering them broken.

The Bourne Conspiracy had this, and it was incredibly tacky. This kind of thing - as well as the simple addition of a metre on the HUD, would completely destroy the cinematic feeling.

As you say, though, the game's ideas were poorly implemented. You don't avoid making Gears because Winback wasn't very good.

I didn't really mean there would be an actual metre on screen; it's not like you see health bars any more. You could stick to an unobtrusive pip system, a subtle screen effect, or even the animated demeanour of the player character. As for activating it in a fairly seamless fashion, hovering your reticule over a suitable target could change it's colour, at which point you hit L1 to zoom in on the target and fire to commit.

In any case, I'm not exactly posting Naughty Dog a design document, merely giving an example of how someone could realistically break away from the current third-person shooter template.

Had some amazing games tonight.

Best bit was when Rez and I turned on each other; He stole my treasure, I grenaded him to death. I laughed, he cluster bombed me and someone else on our team. Moral of the story is we fucking rock because the match lasted about three minutes and ended with us kicking the other team's ass while we were kicking each other's.

Was hysterical.

Edited by Daft
I cannot spell.

this now. Climb > puzzle > shoot over and over

Its the same reason I'm not looking forward to the new Mario Kart. Drive > Shoot > Win Race.

And the new James Bond movie. Spy > Shoot > Hero Wins.

Simplifying things is fun. :)

Had some amazing games tonight.

Best bit was when Rez and I turned on each other; He stole my treasure, I grenaded him to death. I laughed, he cluster bombed me and someone else on our team. Moral of the story is we fucking rock because the match lasted about three minutes and ended with us kicking the other team's ass why we were kicking each other's.

Was hysterical.

And then when the hillbilly Texan uttered the phrase "Make fun of his accent". Guhuik. Lol.

And when I said they were shit at King of the Hill. I like trash talk.

I can't work it out :D

Run. Keep moving. Climb shit. Go crazy. As soon as I got used to the fact that staying in one area was a real bad idea my kills shot up.

I still need to work on when to use blind fire. I always go into aim mode just as a reaction.

The animation is miles ahead of any other video game. The shooting mechanics are great (you point and shoot, enemies die...I still don't understand the problem), it has a brilliant combat system. Plus the graphical effects are astonishing.

Well the story was completely different. Apart from the very end, I guess.

So...this is awkward.

I will make the point that even if the precise details are different the format of the story is very, very similar.

Drake finds an artefact with some link to a great treasure. Drake follows vague clues to gain knowledge of the location of this wonder. To find it, he makes thorough use of the artefact on the various puzzles. Drake is chased constantly by a group led by someone after the treasure. Whatever places Drake tirelessly works out he needs to go to, the enemy will somehow acquire this knowledge and get to the very end place also. Somewhere along the line, Drake realises the treasure is actually a threat to mankind. Drake destroys said threat in a nonchalant, unplanned way that results in a close call escape sequence at the end while the place implodes. Cue cocky brodown with Sully and generic 'guy gets the girl' moment.

Love the game. But let's not pretend the story is any better than a cheesy Hollywood blockbuster.

I just think it felt a little worn and stale. Iv nothing really to compare it to and I think it's the best at what it does, but mainly down to lack of competition. It needs something to give m the wow factor again, Its due a few years hiatus now and then it can comeback with fresh ideas again.