NEurope
tapedeck

bad stuff thread.

Jeez Fish, you don't have much luck in other countries. :(

Hope it works out.

------------

Must....get through...next....9....hours.

My analysis of the situation is that my boss is a "wiley" businessman, and reckons he can save some pennies as the new young teacher won't know any better and will agree to the pay cut. I know for a fact he can't just fire me - he hasn't got the authority - and I know he can't get another teacher, especially not for more money than the current difference of pay, especially to Turkey, and especially to teach lots and lots of kids...

As for my career prospects, I might just get a job in Germany or Austria come May...

My analysis of the situation is that my boss is a "wiley" businessman, and reckons he can save some pennies as the new young teacher won't know any better and will agree to the pay cut. I know for a fact he can't just fire me - he hasn't got the authority - and I know he can't get another teacher, especially not for more money than the current difference of pay, especially to Turkey, and especially to teach lots and lots of kids...

As for my career prospects, I might just get a job in Germany or Austria come May...

If I were in that situation I probably wouldn't want to be there anyway, if your own manager is so careless to try and offer you less money than in a legal contract then you might be best to do up til it finishes and do something else.

I mean if he wants to cut money what other crap would he have tried? I hope you manage to get it sorted, I recall how excited you were!

Well my agency rep person is ringing now, I'm back home. I thought she was gonna ring whilst I was there. Crossed wires had me fretting for no reason for 24 hours lolz.

Hopefully this will be my last post in this thread for a while.

Hopefully this will be my last post in this thread for a while.

LOL. Alternatively, less than 24 hours later the car I purchased 2 months ago dies. WINZA.

Well I guess it isn't dead. Some kind of problem though. AA took me home, with the car (exciting) and he couldn't diagnose it fully but said it may be head gasket.

But yeah. I mean gotta get it to a garage to diagnose it fully....but how we will do that, I do not know as....like....well. Yeah. No idea.

Tis quite annoying. Was going to Thorpe Park tomorrow for an internet meet too.

Ouch, if the head gasket has gone, there's a chance the cost of the repairs won't be worth keeping the car.

The head gasket blew in my old Fiesta on the dual carriageway, steam everywhere/loss of drive/power, and since that happened that was it for the car, too much work was required in order to keep it.

Saying that, I'd be surprised if he couldn't tell you that's what it was.

Ouch, if the head gasket has gone, there's a chance the cost of the repairs won't be worth keeping the car.

The head gasket blew in my old Fiesta on the dual carriageway, steam everywhere/loss of drive/power, and since that happened that was it for the car, too much work was required in order to keep it.

Saying that, I'd be surprised if he couldn't tell you that's what it was.

I'm more the same thought here, if it were the head gasket then surely the AA would notice something like that. Interesting.

I still have to get my car seen too, kwik fit are useless not being able to fix water in my car door, going to see a smaller mechanic about it.

I dunno, he said it can be a difficult thing to diagnose. The dude was nice.

Thats pretty much what I'm thinking though. Buying (decade plus) old cars is just....stupid. Not a wise thing. Basically advice to car buyers; don't buy decade old plus cars.

Shit happens - got to deal with it! :)

ReZ, if your car is beyond repair and needs scrapping, then I know a company called A1 Clearance who can sort it out for you.

ReZ, if your car is beyond repair and needs scrapping, then I know a company called A1 Clearance who can sort it out for you.

Dude, I've already got them on the phone. He's.....oh shit he's taken it.

I dunno, he said it can be a difficult thing to diagnose. The dude was nice.

Thats pretty much what I'm thinking though. Buying (decade plus) old cars is just....stupid. Not a wise thing. Basically advice to car buyers; don't buy decade old plus cars.

Shit happens - got to deal with it! :)

I wouldn't care for 2005 cars on that standard, my car currently has a door full of water and there's no telling of fixing it, I thought it'd be the window seal, but according to kwik fit it's the roof of the car..

Not to mention the roll bar in the engine needs sorting, I've replaced the front wheel 3 times, once because the suspension spring was cutting into it as I was driving.

All in 6 months! new cars are no better. :laughing:

Went to bed relatively early (like 1am/1.30 or something), played Pokemanz then turned out the light and went to sleep. Or tried to.

I soon hear loud guys on the kinda grass area that runs along one side of my halls (people never go around there as there's no reason to, so you knwo instantly they're drunk/high), and then they were REALLY close to my window. Not really "scary" since they had very "uni student" voices and weren't exactly threatening, but still, quite...invasive. Then they started BANGING ON MY WINDOW. That got me a bit :woops:. This continued for liek a minute, like constant banging, then a single bang. I just ignored it, pretended I wasn't there. But then they kept saying "him" or something, so thought "Oh maybe I know them...some of them did sound like a few of the stoner guys on my course (who I'm friends with)", and thought maybe they were legitimately like...trying to "say hello". Still didn't move though. They moved away, then back again, before finally leaving. They kept mentioning an "egg".

So yeah, eventually went to sleep and then this morning I saw they'd thrown an egg at my window...

I don't understand. Not even like..worth throwing an egg at, if that's your idea of fun, lol. I'd accept if they went to egg some government building or something. But why my random window. And I think they threw some at other windows too cause I heard a few solitary bangs from further away. Think I was the only one who got loads of knocks on the window though...bizarre.

I wouldn't care for 2005 cars on that standard, my car currently has a door full of water and there's no telling of fixing it, I thought it'd be the window seal, but according to kwik fit it's the roof of the car..

That makes no sense. The door and roof are completely separate. Then again it is Kwik Fit, who are shit. The only way the roof could effect it is if it redirected the water onto a certain point of the door, but the door should still be water tight/be able to cope.

Did you try and unblock the drain holes at the bottom? IIRC, last time you asked on here, a Google search showed that that was a common problem.

And on the whole old car debate. I'd say it was more a case of "if you buy a 10 year old + car, don't buy a shit one/the first one you see/one that is cheap". Old cars are only as good as how well they've been looked after. Old cars such as Polos and other small hatchbacks are bound to be shit after a while, because the owner has only used them as a runaround and not really looked after them. If the older car is more of an enthusiasts car, the owner will be more likely to look after it.

Also, buy old cars from old people. They belong to the golden era of "We look after/maintain our shit".

That makes no sense. The door and roof are completely separate. Then again it is Kwik Fit, who are shit. The only way the roof could effect it is if it redirected the water onto a certain point of the door, but the door should still be water tight/be able to cope.

Did you try and unblock the drain holes at the bottom? IIRC, last time you asked on here, a Google search showed that that was a common problem.

I did and it's come back, so I imagine it's the window seal, which is what my sisters boyfriend also thinks.

I couldn't understand it either, I had to ask several times whilst there if they really meant that, because I don't think they realised that they were different parts of the car.

I'm thinking of trying the mechanic down the road, it really did baffle me!

The pay (or lack thereof) saga continues...

There's something strangely amusing about watching someone think you know nothing about your rights and your contract, when in fact you hold both the legal ace and the ace of If Leave You're Not Going To Find Someone To Fly To Turkey At Short Notice To Teach Kids For That Little Money (or, "Spades", for short).

The kids are the big money spinner - I teach 20 on Saturday alone. The other teachers aren't as good with kids as I am, and have other lessons to teach. The school's thinly veiled threat of "we'll happily pay for your flight home" is clearly a miscalculated bluff.

On top of this all, John, the senior teacher (who's on my side in this matter) has offered to write my reference in the future when I move elsewhere, thus neglecting even the need for me to stay civil to my employer over the matter - not that I'd get mad or anything, I prefer the calm, ruthlessly logical/legal approach. Between you, me and everyone else on N-E, it's actually pretty funny listening to Hasan trying to justify why he doesn't think he shouldn't pay me.

He still hasn't paid me, though, which is a bit of a pain.

Edited by The fish

"Explain, giving reasons, which is more important, applied or basic research"

I reckon I could answer this in 500 words. I'm meant to write 2500 on it. I seriously haven't got a clue how.

I could only do about a sentence or two, so you're less fucked than I'd be in that situation.

I reckon I could answer this in 500 words. I'm meant to write 2500 on it. I seriously haven't got a clue how.

Sounds like you're going to have to write about ''applied bullshit'' too, that seems to be the only way to fill it!

My housemate is driving me crazy, his girlfriend is really nice and helps me out with cleaning and stuff, but him, himself? Lazy motherfucker, it wouldn't hurt for him to hoover the landing or even give the bathroom a quick clean.

I should probably expect less of him, but this past week I've felt more like a maid than a housemate. :indeed:

I could only do about a sentence or two, so you're less fucked than I'd be in that situation.

Well I've written 2 sentences and now I'm back on here.

Sounds like you're going to have to write about ''applied bullshit'' too, that seems to be the only way to fill it!

That seems to be the case with a lot of essays. That's one of the reasons I dislike social sciences, far too much bullshit to try and distinguish the academic side of it from the real world side.

EDIT: I have found an awesome quote I want to use though:

"People cannot foresee the future well enough to predict what's going to develop from basic research. If we only did applied research, we would still be making better spears."

Edited by MoogleViper

Could you write an article on how stupid the question is, that there is no situation where one would actually have to chose between the two and that the best answer is to use both?

Could you write an article on how stupid the question is, that there is no situation where one would actually have to chose between the two and that the best answer is to use both?

That will be part of my conclusion (that both are used and are not mutually exclusive, I'll leave out the bit about it being stupid).

I summed this up perfectly on my Tumblr.

OMFG Amazon!! Y U NO SEND ME CORRECT ITEM!!?!

5527194770_ba07eebb48_o.gif

I decided I was too poor to afford lattitude ticket.

Also it was my birthday and I didn't get an N_EURO 4RM BDAY THREAD. Crying.