N-Europe

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Movie)

ReZourceman

You edited it after I posted, Dazzy-o! That's not fair!

But the bit you failed to see was there before the edit... :heh:

How many Horcrux's are there? In the last film Tom Riddle talked about splitting his soul seven times, therefor I was under the impression there would be seven. However after they destroyed the amulet (the third one after the diary and ring) Hermione said there were three left? How do they even know how many there are?

If I recall correctly, there are seven, plus the original soul - if you split something seven times, you end up with eight parts.

What do you mean, as good as it was? JK could've gone out with several different bangs and instead settled for the least ambitious ending possible. Everything happens as you expect it and nothing really makes you feel even remotely justified for having read through all of the books. The whole 7th book is just a moronic delaying of that consumer-happy ending that you already know is coming, and not anywhere in the whole book is there a single shred of enthusiastic writing. It's just... a colossal failure, as a piece of literature.

It would have been great if

everyone died and Voldemort won. :heh:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What people forget is that the book is exactly this spoiler, it isn't anything more exciting, but unfortunately it had to be done to understand what was going on. The next film should be more filled with action.

I didn't expect any different, it follows the book pretty closely and everyone basically knows before they go into see it that it's just 2 and a half hours of setting the scene.

What do you mean, as good as it was? JK could've gone out with several different bangs and instead settled for the least ambitious ending possible. Everything happens as you expect it and nothing really makes you feel even remotely justified for having read through all of the books. The whole 7th book is just a moronic delaying of that consumer-happy ending that you already know is coming, and not anywhere in the whole book is there a single shred of enthusiastic writing. It's just... a colossal failure, as a piece of literature.

I only read the last book once when it came out and kinda forget it, but I remember been disappointed and thinking to myself " man, i'm too old for this shit".. So I guess it must be something to do with what you said.

As kids books though, I found the first 4 were successful with what they did. After that they didn't really know what they wanted to be.

Meh I don't care, the nostalgia alone will make me love the series and it's still miles better than Twilight :D

I only read the last book once when it came out and kinda forget it, but I remember been disappointed and thinking to myself " man, i'm too old for this shit".. So I guess it must be something to do with what you said.

As kids books though, I found the first 4 were successful with what they did. After that they didn't really know what they wanted to be.

Meh I don't care, the nostalgia alone will make me love the series and it's still miles better than Twilight :D

That reminds me, did anyone catch the little dig they had Twilight when Ron and Hermione were talking about the three brothers?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. It's not that we were too old for the 7th book, it's just that the later ones were more childish than the early ones. Books 1-4 are fantastic stories. With Deathly Hallows, though, I felt hit over the head with the clunky metaphors, such as non-pure bloods being rounded up and taken away. It felt like JK Rowling wanted to preach to children and generally say "life's full of sacrifices", which may be true, but that's not what I look to fiction for.

The whole 7th book is just a moronic delaying of that consumer-happy ending that you already know is coming, and not anywhere in the whole book is there a single shred of enthusiastic writing. It's just... a colossal failure, as a piece of literature.

Maybe not quite so harsh but i agree for the most part. Book 7 was a huge dissapointment for me :(

I actually read this:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3671112/Harry_Potter___the_Deathly_Hallows_Book_7_-__569_Pages

Before the 7th book came out and was impressed by it. Very good read ^^

I agree. I was expecting some epic battle, something along the lines of the little Order of the Phoenix battle when Voldemort and Dumbledore went at it Hong Kong style.

A amateur wand back-firing...

Which Voldemort should've know about but I guess JK was reaching the end of her word count.

But the bit you failed to see was there before the edit... :heh:

It would have been great if

everyone died and Voldemort won.

:heh:

No it wasn't, look at the quote on my post! I didn't crop out anything but the last part!

So unless he edited it for nothing it wasn't there! Or maybe he edited it twice, those immediate edits that don't show up coz they're on the same minute. Or maybe I just didn't see it. =/ lol

Actually, she would've had a perfect ending, all she needed to do was

make Snape pertinent... as it was, he was completely wasted, as a character... the best character, might I add...

Hopefully the next part doesn't skip important parts, such as:

The best character in the series - Lupin - getting killed off-page

Why do you think that's the best character??? :blank:

That reminds me, did anyone catch the little dig they had Twilight when Ron and Hermione were talking about the three brothers?

I thought it was that too, but it turns out that's in the book. :sad:

Apparently the real dig was that some of the missing people listed on the radio were twilight characters.

I agree. I was expecting some epic battle, something along the lines of the little Order of the Phoenix battle when Voldemort and Dumbledore went at it Hong Kong style.
A amateur wand back-firing...

My problem with it isn't so much that it's anti climatic, as much as it's just a waste of great possible resolutions in favour of something that's just... absurdly uninspired. I wasn't expecting much, but certainly more than I got.

I did love the whole new charcter development of Dumbledore, though, truly made him a much better character, instead of this "absolutely good" Yoda figure. I'm not that fond of extremes.

Which Voldemort should've know about but I guess JK was reaching the end of her word count.

I thought it was that too, but it turns out that's in the book. :sad:

Apparently the real dig was that some of the missing people listed on the radio were twilight characters.

Really? Couldn't really name any Twilight characters, so that went straight over my head when watching it.

Been reading the Battle of Hogwarts again and it's got me really pumped for Part 2. It will make for a very epic cinematic experience if done correctly, and i've no reason to doubt it will be.

Snape is definitely the best character. Just think, these stories will probably get remade again and again, in high-budget TV series and eventually more films (like Tolkien and C.S. Lewis), but the one thing I don't think they'll ever better is Alan Rickman.

I should have said "As good as it was, relative to the movie".

Snape is definitely the best character. Just think, these stories will probably get remade again and again, in high-budget TV series and eventually more films (like Tolkien and C.S. Lewis), but the one thing I don't think they'll ever better is Alan Rickman.

This is an interesting point. D'you reckon they actually will? Assuming Warner (or whatever) still own the rights it'll be less likely. JK might not approve either. Though at the same time Spidey's getting a remake about 10 years since it's release so who knows.

Peter Bradshaw's review in the guardian raised some intersting points, particularly how much more interesting it could be on a shoestring budget, and less emphasis on theatrics and big special effects (though the visuals are about my favorite part of the films).

Anyway. Still need to see it myself. More drawings!

the_v_man_by_danlikestrees-d33ah70.jpg

No mention of THAT scene yet? Boys we all know what I am on about

I think I do...

OH FUCK! OF COURSE! WHY THE FUCK HAVN'T I DISCUSSED THIS YET.

Emma Watson upper side boob. Fucking yes. FUCKING YES!

Man, that scene was hot. I was popping boners all over the show.

I do now. And yeah, totally. I saw it and I was like "WUUUT! SHE'S TOPLESS??? HOOOT!" lol. Eight seconds of awesomeness but it would have been better if Daniel Radcliffe wasn't in the scene ;)

No it wasn't, look at the quote on my post! I didn't crop out anything but the last part!

So unless he edited it for nothing it wasn't there! Or maybe he edited it twice, those immediate edits that don't show up coz they're on the same minute. Or maybe I just didn't see it. =/ lol

I was going by edit history, but you may be right. :heh:

Anyway, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of the dancing. I thought that scene was hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Just... why?

I was going by edit history, but you may be right. :heh:

Anyway, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of the dancing. I thought that scene was hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Just... why?

I did the edit two minutes (I think) and Oxigen hadn't posted so he may not have seen my post because he was taking two minutes to post his post...

And I liked the dancing scene, I thought it was cool seeing Harry trying to cheer Hermione up by practising for next year's Strictly.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!