NEurope
S.C.G

Have you been injured?

... at work or on the road? or had a trip or fall anywhere?

Well... Have you?

I did... yesterday infact, I was cycling home from work in busy traffic and I went down the hill like I usually do, keeping as far left as I can and two cars passed me, keeping their distance - which was fine obv - and then just as I'm going into a corner a pick-up truck overtakes me but gets too close and hits the handlebars of my bike!

I had no time to do anything and I went straight into the curb landing on my chest - from what I was told - with my bike ending up in the middle of the road and myself along with it. Fortunately the traffic stopped - looking back I could have been run over quite easily - including a couple of kind holiday makers who actually helped me out a lot, taking me to the side along with my bike and calling the ambulance/polce.

The driver of the truck didn't stop of course - fucker - but then I guess I didn't expect him to though it might have been the decent thing to do, also obv I didn't get the license and I don't think anyone else did either but still may have to get in contact with the police to file a report though... that may be a waste of time.

Anyway, the pain at the time was near the worst I'd ever experienced, they asked me on a scale of 1-10 and I said 8 but I may have been being conservative at the time... they gave me some morphine at the scene which I guess helped but I was pretty out of it after my second or third dose I'd has by the time I was in the ambulance so it was hard to tell.

My parents were called and I basically spent most of the evening in hospital, they had to leave me there for a few hours because my bike needed to be picked up from the local Spar shop yard - the only place the police could leave it - I then waited around for a while, got an X-ray, waited around for a good while more, got checked over by a Doctor and got discharged.

Things could have been a lot worse if traffic hadn't stopped, looking back I feel quite lucky to be alive tbh... anyway I just thought I'd share with you! the people of N-E because you're all awesome. :)

And so it's over to you... have any of you had any epic - or even not so epic - injuries? looking back could things have been a lot worse? any tips for recovering from certain injuries? what are the - legal etc - proceedures one should follow after an acicident?

Feel free to share and thanks for your time.

tl;dr - got knocked off my bike by a twat in a truck - am ok-ish - still alive - what's your 'best' injury/accident?

Glad you're okay budster. I've learned that people can be absolutely retarded when judging distance in cars, its bull shit (my sister in America, didn't have a clue. "Yeah Emma you hear that?" "Yeah...." "Yeah, thats the cats eyes on this side of the ride")

But thats crazy to actually rape a bike.

But no, the worst I've ever been injured was....okay I need a piss and am starting to get a headache so I'll report back later.

PS, are you okay about biking still or a little apprehensive?

PS, are you okay about biking still or a little apprehensive?

I'll be ok about it... once I've healed a bit and got my bike sorted out, maybe best to give it a few weeks to maybe a month but yeah, I still plan to ride again, I'm not gonna let this put me off :) maybe that sounds a litle crazy and any sane person would just quit whille they're ahead so to speak but... the accident wasn't my fault so I don't see why I should 'punish' myself by not being able to ride again.

Skating (Blading)

broke both the bones in my for arm (i dont remember what they're called) the bones were sticking out through my skin,

i now have 12 pins and 2 metal plates in my arm. other than that broke my collarbone, cracked my ribs, been in a car accident, torn cruciate ligaments in my knee But after all the injuries still alive somehow!

pretty sure i put the xray up on here some time...

image167s.jpg

I stubbed my toe on a door once.

I stubbed my toe so hard the nail went backwards. In to my foot.

I stubbed my toe on a door once.

I stubbed my toe so hard the nail went backwards. In to my foot.

Incidentally I did injure one of my toes as well, minor brusing as I was wearing steel toe-capped shoes - for work - nothing compared to the chest injury but an annoyance nonetheless.

Glad your OK sir. Sounded bad, and it could have been worse. Luckly, it wasn't. I have nearly had the same situation happen to me before, which kind of was one of the reasons i stopped riding my bike. Hated lorries, buses and vans over-taking me. Didn't mind cars or motorbikes though, because at least they give enough of a gap when they over-take, as you said. Lorries, buses and vans/trucks don't for some reason. Probably because they are wide loads, bigger cabs and forget the size they are.

In seriousness, i havn't had an accident (that i've taken to a legal team). I have had a garden fork in my foot once (2 prongs), pain rating of 8 as well. Luckly, it missed main blood channels.

Of course, this was in-evitable. You know it

19847_261682473866_261680648866_3386227_26536_n.jpg

I've learned that people can be absolutely retarded when judging distance in cars, its bull shit

Awh man, loldd.

I've stood on Lego before.

This. It hurts. Lots. Especially when you're not wearing socks.

Glad to hear you're ok S.C.G. Wish you a speedy recovery...

Actually, almost fell on my bike today as well. Near the railroad station, the cycle path creates a small curve around some rails going to a nearby building. The rail bit was apparently frozen, for when I drove over it steering to the right, my bike started violently skidding at full speed...luckily, was able to maintain my balance and stop the bike without crashing...

I remember last year around this time, I had a fall that only seemed embarrassing at first, but turned out to be more serious. I was coming out of a building at my school with my heavy backpack and computer bag over my shoulder when I misstepped on the step down, meaning, my leg ended up crushed beneat my entire weight, bags and all. It hurt, naturally, but not surprisingly bad, so my pride was more hurt at the time as it happened in front of some first years. :heh:

I made my way over to the next place I had to be, my leg hurting with each step, but that was to be expected. However, when I left for the train half an hour later or so, I was barely able to stand, and I only just made it to the train station in time through agonising pain. Knowing the annual ball was coming up where we as third years were going to dance, I was afraid this would ruin my chances at participating, but when I got home I rested my now pretty swollen leg in an elevated position and stayed home the next day (this was a Thursday). Monday morning it was perfectly fine again, luckily. :)

So yeah, not really that interesting a tale, but I just felt like sharing. :heh:

1) I was waiting for someone to get out of the bathroom due to badly needing a piss. They left, and I ran, my sister then ran in and stood in the bathroom door, blocking my path. I ran into her, stubbed my toe, and then was wrying (not a word) on my bed for approximately 1 hour, I was crying and saying things like "I am in immense pain I think I've hurt my toe" after about an hour my mum and sister came upstairs and would like "Ah, maybe there is something wrong."

I had broken my toe. o___________0

2) I had one of these.

viza-viza-153-kikit-push-scooter_0_0.jpg

I was going along, with my mum and her boyfriend and maybe my sister/can't remember. Anyway, I came across (something similar to this, but a little different. Basically a concrete drain in the car park), at a horizontal angle, (ie the least dangerous angle to approach it/should have been fine)

trench1.jpg

I inevitably came flying to the ground and was fine for a few milliseconds. However the way the scooter landed on the floor, the handlebars hit the ground, and the rest of it entered the air. The foot plate SWANG around and hit me in my head. LOOOAAADDDSSS of blood, and off to A&E. I had it (thankfully not stitched) but glued (if it was stitches I would have shit my pants) and now the hair doesn't grow there and there is a good scar.

3) You've all heard about the theme park in the woods accident multiple times, so I'll just remind you of that story, which is my favourite scar.

Edited by ReZourceman

I once broke an arm jumping from a bunk. I was like 3 years old.

I have lived my life surprisingly injury-free, thinking about it.

got a green stick fracture in my arm when i was a kid when I fell of the monkeybars. Had it in a cast for about a fortnight

I broke my leg in three places and fractured it in another three over ten years ago now. It felt like the bone was trying to bite its way out from my leg.

I also got hit by a car last year. It wasn't my fault. The car hit ice and instead of going round the fairly shallow bend it carried on sideways and took me and my bike out. I was pretty shaken. I smacked my head on the pavement but I was wearing my helmet so I was fine.

This. It hurts. Lots. Especially when you're not wearing socks.

Standing on a lego brick is nothing compared to standing on a plug...in the dark. Though whether that's beats the toe stubbing, I'm not too sure.

Well I've never broken a bone which is amazing given the things I've jumped off, on, over and through as a child. Went through a fair few pairs of trousers as a result mind.

These days, injuries only ever stem from pushing myself too hard at the gym - my arm still hurts a bit from last Saturday.

I've never seriously injured myself, rather fortunate since about 4 1/2 years ago i rolled and flipped my car at 50mph, all i did was bang my knee and cut my hand. Went to hospital for 5 hours waiting to have it x-rayed but it wasn't broken - just couldn't walk for a few days.

May have broken a finger once - playing slapsies - never bothered having it checked though.

Most serious one was falling on an escalator....one of those airport ones that are all greasy and sharp as hell (unlike the new ones in shopping centres!) and i smacked my kneecap on two of the pointy edges of the step, tore 5 lines down the middle of my leg... and ruined a pair of trousers with blood.. My knee tends to be a bit weaker on that side, and the leg injury seems to have developed minor oedema. I dunno how I didn't get a serious infection considering it was left for nearly 2 hours... (was getting on a flight and travel home)

Other than that i just get arthritic flare ups when when i'm pushing myself too hard at the gym..

I don't think I've ever been seriously injured. Only schoolyard injuries really. Worst was when I was sitting against a wall in the playground, and one of the decorative bits of like..bark or something fell from above me onto my hand (IIRC). I couldn't feel it afterwards, was crying etc, but was actually alright in the end. I was 6 though, so drama etc.

Yeah...never been seriously injured.

Once when I was like 7 though I was running around on some stone outside our school, tripped over someone's leg and bust my head open. Lot's of lovely blood.

Actually, thinking about it, I've hit my head really hard quite a few times. My poor brain cells :(