NEurope
Ellmeister

Fifa 2011

Anyone else getting this?

I definitely am, I still play fifa 10 with as much joy as I did when I first started. I just love how every game is different. Hopefully they sort out the damn disconnectors.

A few new features include:

Career mode (rather than manager mode), where you can be a player/player manager/ manager.

Personality +

Pro passing system

And a way to save/edit your football matches.

I haven't checked up on new Pro Evo, what have the managed to change? Last year the failed miserably in comparison to Fifa.

I bought FIFA 10 but had stopped playing it by xmas...so I can't make my mind up. The big thing for me was the manager mode was broken and got rid of any long term fun I was going to have. Also despite how much people like it I've never got into Be a Pro and always found it crap compared to a proper game.

I haven't checked up on new Pro Evo, what have the managed to change? Last year the failed miserably in comparison to Fifa.

Not sure of the details it just seemed to not play awfully.

Pro Evolution Soccer hasn't been anywhere near decent since PES 6 (though I actually feel the best version was Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution on the Gamecube, which was basically a slightly improved PES 2)

Having said that, going from Pro Evolution Soccer to FIFA 09 was a bit of a shock to the system at first. The players felt really heavy and difficult to move intricately with any real accuracy. Having never really played it much due to friends not really liking it, it wasn't until FIFA 10 that I really saw just how good it was and, thankfully, I have a friend who really likes it now too and it is played a couple of nights every week :hehe: If I could get darksnowman to like it, I'm sure it would get played even more :heh:

As much as I enjoy it, I do still miss the old Pro Evo magic that just doesn't seem to exist any more :hmm: Dribbling in FIFA can't compare to the tight control over the players in Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution, for example, and I miss being able to go on mazy runs whilst feeling completely in control.. however, FIFA does pretty much everything else better at the moment. The freedom of passing suits me perfectly and that alone makes going back to PES almost impossible as the passing feels so limited! That all seems set to change though..

I'm actually excited for Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 as I really want to see what they have changed and how much they have improved things. I expect FIFA 11 will probably still come out on top, but as I mentioned in another thread, the world needs a good Pro Evo :grin:

As for all the career modes and whatever else is available, they basically mean nothing to me. It's all about playing with your friends and family and there's nothing better than playing a great football game with players of a similar skill level..

I love this time of year :yay:

On another note, does anyone know if the PES 2011 demo is coming to XBOX Live?

Downloaded the FIFA 11 demo last night. Had about 6 games on it, and i don't like it.

It just seems harder to pass the ball well. In 10, i could dominate possession. I'd play like Barca :heh: i just can't seem to do that in the demo. Everything seems more compact and it seems more difficult to pass the ball quickly.

Another thing. When i was playing as Barca, Messi just didn't seem to have any pace. Their LB could keep up with his acceleration, which is stupid.

It'll take a lot for me to buy a Fifa game. I quite enjoyed the demo, they've actually made the players a more realistic size, so there's actually room on the pitch to run around.

I think it's a much better step from 09 to 10, I thought 10 was bloody average. It just seems like this new one is pretty solid and the passing/off the ball stuff has improved.

Pro Evo is still horrible. It's plain backward.

Worth mentioning though, in Feefs, they've ruined the penalty system. Utter shite now. Plus the shooting has never felt solid, the ball may as well be a balloon.

Edited by dwarf

The demo has fed doubts into my mind, while movement feels more free flowing it's just plain difficult to retain possession, 7/10 passes go astray or are easily intercepted. As dwarf mentioned, the penalty system has been nerfed, any diagonal placed penalties go way off unless you tap it at the risk of a good dive from the keeper, having to use the other stick to make the keeper dive was pretty big step to take.

It just seems harder to pass the ball well. In 10, i could dominate possession. I'd play like Barca :heh: i just can't seem to do that in the demo. Everything seems more compact and it seems more difficult to pass the ball quickly.

This has me slightly worried as that sounds exactly like how I play FIFA 10 (which drives my friend nuts :eek:)

The same friend downloaded PES 2011 last night too and was extremely negative about it :hmm: I'll hopefully get to try them both out in the coming days, but I guess I might need to lower my expectations :sad:

As far as penalties go, I didn't enjoy the penalties in the World Cup game, though I was able to hit them (I imagined moving a cursor from the centre of the goal to where I wanted the ball to go then let go of the direction when I felt I got there and just left the player the hit it where I wanted.. though I actually think that's how it works anyway :eek:)

If the penalties are similar in this, I won't really care but, in all honesty, the best penalties I have ever played are in Super Soccer for the SNES. They have yet to be bettered..

Downloaded the FIFA 11 demo last night. Had about 6 games on it, and i don't like it.

Another thing. When i was playing as Barca, Messi just didn't seem to have any pace. Their LB could keep up with his acceleration, which is stupid.

This man speaks the truth! They make errors passing way too easily, I know being under pressure affects you but if someone is near you then the pass just misses... Annoying. Defenders dominate this game, since through balls along the ground don't work and every god damn player is the same speed... ie It's damn near impossible to score from passing through the opposition, crosses seem to be the only option. Maybe I'm just not good at it yet though but I can scab 1-0 most games on the highest difficulty in the demo but it doesn't feel like it lets me be creative.

As far as penalties go, I didn't enjoy the penalties in the World Cup game, though I was able to hit them (I imagined moving a cursor from the centre of the goal to where I wanted the ball to go then let go of the direction when I felt I got there and just left the player the hit it where I wanted.. though I actually think that's how it works anyway )

That is exactly how the penalties are. Never having played the world cup game I canted my first 10 penalties. I don't know how fast the invisible cursor moves but I think it is putting Captain Falcon to shame.

Edited by heroicjanitor

I feel exactly the same. Is this the finished product because I was really underwhelmed. Penalties were ridiculous, but I've looked up what I'm doing wrong and hopefully can sort that out.

The demo is only 3 minutes each half so not really long enough to get to grips or work a bit of a move out. Defenders close in and it seems like the pitch is a lot smaller to move around. Drogba I think doesn't look like his real self unlike in fifa 10 where I thought there was quite a good resemblance.

Off to try PES 11 now.

I had to look online for a tutorial on how to take penaltys. Why doesn't it tell you how to do it on the demo.

I had to look online for a tutorial on how to take penaltys. Why doesn't it tell you how to do it on the demo.

Exactly what I did, its silly! Going to need to practice them. Shame because now newcomers that I might have round to play will be crap at them so its no longer going to be immensely tense!

PES demo didn't really wow me either, both have good and bad things about them.

PES demo didn't really wow me either, both have good and bad things about them.

I played the PES 2011 demo tonight with a friend and, for the most part, was impressed by how much of a step up it was from the wretched PES 2010 :smile: It is by no means perfect, but I was glad to see that Konami seem to be getting back on track slowly but surely (though my friend hates the demo :eek:)

Afterwards, we jumped straight back into FIFA 10 and it actually felt pretty weird for a while after only a single game of the PES 2011 demo. I almost couldn't believe how relatively cartoony and vibrant FIFA 10 looked compared to what we had just played but somehow it now looked less impressive than it once did :hmm:

I'm sure FIFA is still probably the better game (though I am yet to try FIFA 11) but it's already clear that it won't really be possible to jump seemlessly between the two at will.. we'll have to pretty much pick one and stick with it. Part of me thinks I might want to stick at Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 just to have something different to last year.. but then I'd also like to have the superior game! Needless to say, it is a much more difficult choice than it has been in the last couple of years..

I thought the Pro Evo demo was sort of rubbish. Fifa still has it this year for me, though I'll probably just buy the world cup game and let that satisfy the football game urge - it's much cheaper now.

I don't see anything wrong with the passes, you must all be shite/lazy/have no hands, all they've done is precisioned it up by 1 sheath. And there seems to be more space to do stuff.

That's all I can really tell, other than the fact play seems a bit more lively off the ball. Plus, headers/crossing are more fruitful. Wingplay used to be utterly pointless on Fifa.

I thought the Pro Evo demo was sort of rubbish. Fifa still has it this year for me, though I'll probably just buy the world cup game and let that satisfy the football game urge - it's much cheaper now.

I didn't find myself thinking it was great, but I was definitely happy to see that they have finally sorted out the passing to give the player more freedom over power and direction. A couple of times I threaded perfect passes through to Ibrahimovic and it was incredibly satisfying :smile: The shooting, however, was not...

This is upsetting. All I want from a football games is FIFA 10 gameplay except with a manager mode which isn't completely shit. Spending about an hour trying to sign players before concluding that it's basically impossible has to be one of my least fond gaming experiences..

I've been underwhelmed by FIFA 11. Possession seems to change every 5 seconds and you can just run into a player to dispossess them. I loved the World Cup game as it was FIFA 10 with all of the gameplay flaws 'fixed'. Shame the penalty system was dire. Taking off the name bar on the bottom of the screen took the timing meter off in the WC game making penners impossible so I hope that's not the case here.

Think I may go for PES. I've been playing 2010 on Wii with the ccontroller and it's close to the good old days. It's a shame the visuals slice your eyes open as they are so jagged but PES 2011 looks good on both Wii and the PS3. I'll wait for the general consensus to come through. I'm unable to download the demo atm so we will see.

Either way, FIFA was as close to awesome in 09/10 but as is always the case, things are starting to appear stale. Konami - it's now or never on the PS3/360.

I tried the Pro Evo Demo over my friend's house on his PS3. Really didn't like it. The pace of the game is just so painfully slow and boring. Its not even "slow tactical pace" its just...slow. There's no sense that a player is making a fantastic run down the touchline. Its that feeling of coming off the motorway and then driving down a 30mph road.

On the other hand, I played a lot of Fifa10 on another friend's 360, and thought it was very satisfying. It has a definite Premier League/FA Cup feel to it. Although, at the moment, I don't know whether it would be worth getting a Fifa game every year. If I had a 360, I'd probably go for one every other year, maybe.

The PES 2011 demo is such a massive change from anything before and takes a while to get used to, but believe me, once you begin to master the controls (and start making tactical changes!) the game really comes into it's own. It's such a step up from '09 and '10, it's just so different that initially it feels weird. I've played the demo for about 4 or 5 hours and I'm definitely going to be buying it, they've improved so many aspects.

FIFA = Soccer, PES = Football.

The PES 2011 demo is such a massive change from anything before and takes a while to get used to, but believe me, once you begin to master the controls (and start making tactical changes!) the game really comes into it's own. It's such a step up from '09 and '10, it's just so different that initially it feels weird. I've played the demo for about 4 or 5 hours and I'm definitely going to be buying it, they've improved so many aspects.

FIFA = Soccer, PES = Football.

While I haven't tried (but want to) either of the demo's I can't really comment, but what do you mean by the soccer/football thing? I'm not disagreeing or anything, I just don't really get what you mean!

You can tell FIFA is developed in Canada by an North American Company. While it's a good, fun game it's fairly unrealistic. It doesn't accurately replicate the sport it's trying to portray and is more of an arcadey experience. Hence why it often gets very dull against the CPU, this is a problem FIFA has never managed to address, even since the first games were released on 16-bit consoles. In a way it's kind of like Major League Soccer compared to the Premier League, contested by people who don't really get the depth of the sport and what it's about :p.

The level of intricacy, implementation of tactics and depth that's found in the new Pro Evo is incredible. When you play the game without thinking, i.e. you go in without setting up your team to play how you want, it can seem terrible and even broken. But when you set your tactics up properly, your defensive line, team width, player movement etc, you'll begin to understand that the depth of thought and creativity that's gone into the PES system makes the game is a lot less accessible but a hell of a lot more rewarding once you master everything. It's so close to the real thing in terms of setting up a play style and caters for every possible approach to the beautiful game. Every goal is unique and challenging and genuinely rewards good play.

This is just how I see the difference in the two games. In PES you cannot just run and score a goal, you have to really work for it.

PES coming out next Thursday.

Fifa coming out next Friday.

I've chosen Fifa, guess I'll have to put up with it and learn how to play it properly!