Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Spending Sprees

Ashley

Good luck with it all Sheikah! I was looking at moving into flat/houseshares with mates recently, and found that unfurnished places could be up to £100 cheaper a month for me. A quick ask-around of friends and family threw up a great smorgasboard of furiture that would've given the place a really eclectic feel - a rundown old sofabed, a z-bed, knackered computer desks, planks of wood (I was intending to make my own ramshackle furniture out of them...), garden furniture as dining equipment, an old fridge (no freezer compartment)... essentially I'd've had to start from the very bottom and work towards things like washing machines and real beds...

Instead I've decided to put off getting my own place 'til I get a job :P I can't imagine how much getting all that furniture sorted out would cost, especially with a girlfriend raising the acceptible standards a little!

Instead I've decided to put off getting my own place 'til I get a job :P I can't imagine how much getting all that furniture sorted out would cost, especially with a girlfriend raising the acceptible standards a little!

I spent about £100 yesterday on new furnishings, £65 on a chest of drawers and then a set of stackable wicker baskets for about £20 and a CD rack for another £20. Apparantly just keeping all your clothes in cardboard boxes under the bed wasn't seen as acceptable in my girlfriends eyes. Madness!

Anyway, good luck Sheikah, that sounds like it's going your wallet will take quite a hammering. It is worth it though; as much as I hate to admit it wicker baskets do look better than cardboard.

Edited by weeyellowbloke

Good luck with it all Sheikah! I was looking at moving into flat/houseshares with mates recently, and found that unfurnished places could be up to £100 cheaper a month for me. A quick ask-around of friends and family threw up a great smorgasboard of furiture that would've given the place a really eclectic feel - a rundown old sofabed, a z-bed, knackered computer desks, planks of wood (I was intending to make my own ramshackle furniture out of them...), garden furniture as dining equipment, an old fridge (no freezer compartment)... essentially I'd've had to start from the very bottom and work towards things like washing machines and real beds...

Apparently I will get £4500 straight away (one quarter of the yearly pay). So hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. :)

You have to buy SPSS? The statistics package? Is that not mega expensive, or is there a student version you get? Is it a course requirement that you use it? The uni must have it on their computers if that is the case?

Yeh the statistics package. We have to use it for databasing results for psychological experiments. The uni does have it on the computers but its badly out of date and some of the functions don't work (such as graphs which are needed for presenting certain types of data in write-ups). I'll need it for doing assignments as I believe it's only usable in the psych building and there's like 100 psychology students including myself. Not sure how much it costs but last time I checked, I'm sure there was a student deal thing for it. There were rumblings of the uni allowing us to get a copy from them for a couple of pounds so I'll have to see when I get back.

Apparently I will get £4500 straight away (one quarter of the yearly pay). So hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. :)

Niiiiiice.

I could do a PhD and get paid for four years, but that would make me pretty much 30 when I finish... Plus it means I can't move away from Belgium (I think) or even do any illustration jobs. =(

It would've been fun to be called Doctor though!

Good luck with the move. Getting your own place sounds exciting. I know when I get my own place and have a job and some money, I'm gonna raid Ikea haha.

That's not that bad actually. Of course I recommend having nothing to do with horses as the best course of action. Terrible animals.

Horses are awesome, how dare you!

I just spent £800 on a new TV, so... yeah, not great at the saving money thing :heh:

Then again I have been saving fairly well recently and got a new job so it was kind of a present to myself.

I'm good at saving while I'm busy with something.

While taking a year out working I didn't spend much at all, just saved it for uni.

During first year I only ever spent money on food and books, but then as soon as summer hit I spent most of what I'd saved straight away (spent over a grand on Apple stuff).

Second year was roughly the same (although I'd started buying alcohol - having kept alcohol free during first year term time), once summer came I went to New York and blew a load of cash.

Placement will hopefully be a bit more balanced.

I'll have more money in my placement year and hope to replace PC parts and thankfully I don't have a summer afterwards.

Hopefully I'd have managed to save most of it until my final year, which in turn will be saved until I finish uni.

Niiiiiice.

I could do a PhD and get paid for four years, but that would make me pretty much 30 when I finish... Plus it means I can't move away from Belgium (I think) or even do any illustration jobs. =(

It would've been fun to be called Doctor though!

Good luck with the move. Getting your own place sounds exciting. I know when I get my own place and have a job and some money, I'm gonna raid Ikea haha.

Haha, I think we will be down at IKEA a lot. I'm getting this tax-free, so it's even better (as if I was earning 23.5k or so with tax).

The status will be pretty swell. Dr Sheik. :p

I often manage to convince myself that my spends are justified, or find clever ways to get a good deal through HUKD and tell myself it was "unmissable".

For example, I took my iPhone 3GS in to be swapped under warranty a day before the warranty expired. With a brand new 3GS in hand I figured I'd sell it to buy an iPhone 4. That was literally the best price I could ever get for the 3GS, and buying a 4 out of contract meant that when December rolls around, I can move from a £35/mo contract to a £15 or £20 simplicity. I convince myself that if I spend money at the right times, ultimately I will save money.

Sometimes it's true, and feels great. Other times, hours or days later, I realise I was kidding myself and have this nagging, empty feeling of stupidity. That happened when I spent £80 on two 1TB HDDs and then realised I didn't need that much space....

I'll soon be spending loads. :/

To buy, between me and my girlfriend:

Sofa (we're edging towards leather)

Dining table + chairs

Bed + mattress (can really only be a king with a comfort mattress, it's what I'm used to at home)

Computer desk + chair

TV Stand

Would have to buy an iron, ironing board and kettle but she's already bought those. Luckily we have fitted wardrobes so we won't need to buy one.

Get one of these bad boys!

oska--twister-chair.jpg

Its big enough you could sleep in it too! (well, one of you could) It twists (and shouts)!

What about getting some of that stuff on finance?

(I seem to be preparing myself for Monday, during which I shall be working at SCS...)

Get one of these bad boys!

oska--twister-chair.jpg

Its big enough you could sleep in it too! (well, one of you could) It twists (and shouts)!

What about getting some of that stuff on finance?

(I seem to be preparing myself for Monday, during which I shall be working at SCS...)

lol, that reminds me of one of my favourite Mock the Week jokes, during when there were heavy floods in some towns:

"That's right, it's 'full price' week this week at DFS!"

I don't think I've ever invested my money, in any way, shape or form, ever. I once had a savings account when I was a kid that, after like 13 years, peaked at around £120, which I used to buy a bike for my paper-round which, after a year, and with selling my n64 (20 games) and game boy (35 games, camera, etc), I could afford a TV and a gamecube!

Then I got a job at woolworths, 9 hours a week, which paid for my train tickets to go to leeds to see my girlfriend, as well as the weed and alcohol!

Then the uni years which were such a waste.

I hate myself. THANKS!

*ciders-up*