N-Europe

Captain America: The First Avenger

Murr

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a big kid (or a comic hero fan) but the new limited edition bottle of the incredibly popular men’s fragrance Diesel Only the Brave is officially great. Diesel have collaborated with US Army Super Soldier creators Marvel to give us the Captain America limited edition bottle.

Diesel-Only-The-Brave-Captain-America.jpg

Diesel Only the Brave is a blend of green and animalistic leather, styrax and labdanum with a modern lemon and violet twist. Underpinned by the strength of cedar and amber notes. A masculine scent fitting well with Captain America’s image.

Diesel-Only-The-Brave-Captain-America-Edition.jpg

The almost now iconic fist shaped bottle in Captain America stratosphere-blue features Steve Rogers’ (Captain America) red and white star-shield.

We like the scent, we like Captain America and we like the link up.

Available from July 2011, 75ml for £39.50.

Just realised while posting this, it's kind of old, but meh.

^^ This is BASICALLY what I gathered, however....

A) I saw photos of the after credits scene being shot and it was a different location to the "beginning of the Avengers trailer" slash lead in to The Avengers trailer....

B) Yeah. Avengers Trailer starts of as a Cap scene.

OH MY FRAKKING GOD

I just went to check my local cinema online to see what the showing times for this would be.

IT'S NOT SHOWING IN MY LOCAL.... WHAT THE FRAK IS GOING ON

They've showed trailers for it at the start of every film I've been to see this year and they aren't going to show it, I am so fucking PISSED :mad:

My local cinema is part of the franchise here called "Storm Cinemas"

Which has 5 cinemas round the country, when I check the "Coming Soon" page it lists Cap as being out on the 29th as it show, but only lists 3 or the five cinemas as showing it (obviously mine is not one of them)

And in case your wondering... no there is no other cinema near me, we only have the one.

I'm gonna send off some angry emails to the cinema now.... :mad:

Ireland hate America or something Mokong? Thats fucked up though. Blame Harry Potter its probably his fault! How many screens are showing him?!

We don't have a problem with the US, hell 60% of them including Obama claim to be Irish :heh:

I was in the city early as the wife wanted to go shopping so I went into the cinema to ask what the story was, turns out they are showing Cap starting tomorrow... for whatever reason the website wasn't updated properly.

Which is very strange seeing as it's obviously updated at least once a week and it is also used for buying tickets online... could lose out on a few potential ticket sales like that if people think the cinema aren't showing the film

And to answer your question Harry was taking up 4 of the 8 screens I think last week, maybe down to 3 this week (if down at all)

She gave me a print out of the times Cap is on, the 3D showings have 4 shows a day and the 2D only 2 shows a day.. so I think Harry is still taking up a fair few screens alright

Was the Human Torch in Captain America?

This is why you gotta love Marvel. In a blink-or-you-missed-it moment, they managed to fit the Human Torch into Captain America: The First Avenger.

Badass Digest picked up on this Easter egg, which takes place during the World's Fair sequence prior to when Cap gets injected with the Super Soldier serum. At one point, a dude in a glass case can be spotted -- it's an exhibit at the Fair, billed as "Phineas T. Horton's Invention" or some such.

- Courtesy of Dr Hermes

The Torch as seen in the new movie...

captain-america-the-first-avenger-20110728031253650-000.jpg

And the original from Marvel Comics #1.

Torch2_1311892077.jpg

Of course, Marvel Comics history tells us that Phineas T. Horton created the original Human Torch (not the one from the Fantastic Four, mind you, who of course was played by Cap actor Chris Evans in two movies -- yes, the mind boggles). Horton kept the Torch in a glass case before he was activated (he's an android, don't you know), and the flaming crusader eventually became an ally of Cap's in World War II in the super-group The Invaders. Oh, and he also killed Hitler eventually!

Could this Torch show up in a Cap sequel eventually? Crazier things have happened in the Marvel movies, though as Badass points out, Fox currently has the rights to the FF Torch. That alone might make the use of this character in any meaningful way difficult. Still, nice touch Marvel…

Source - IGN.com

Gonna go see this tomorrow, WOOT can't wait.

Though funny thing, after my almost heart attack thinking my local cinema wouldn't be showing it, and of course finding out that there website was wrong and they are.

Before I personally went to the cinema to ask them, I did send an email (but then thought it could take a few days to get an answer, so I went in while I was in the city later that day)

Anyway, I got a reply to the email today.... odd thing is the person that replied didn't say anything about the website being wrong and letting me know it is updated with correct times/films now and that my local is indeed showing Cap they said this

Thank you for your email.

The production company has only made a limited number of copies of the film available and therefore only a limited number of cinemas in each area can show the film.

We were unable to obtain a copy of the film for your local cinema this week however we were successful in other areas of the country.

It may be showing at other cinemas in your area. To find out if it is still showing at another cinema in your area please try the Google Movies website (http://www.google.co.uk/movies).

They either didn't read my email properly or didn't check on the status of Cap in my local (email prolly went to the head office I assume) and instead of telling me about the mistake (thereby making sure I spent my money with them) they tell me to check for another cinema that might be near me (telling me to spend my money elsewhere)

They are lucky that I already know about the mistake and that they are the only cinema here, haha :heh:

Saw this with Shorty and co. the other night. Absolutely awesome, I thought. Well on par with Iron Man and Thor I thought (And considerably more coherent than Iron Man 2). The vibe I got was very Indiana Jones meets 60s ww2 movies; it's all heroics and well swung right hooks. Very cool though, and the Howling Commandos make an excellent Dirty Dozen stand in.

The best part of the film, though, was how they totally grounded the Captain America origin in a really convincing way. It's pretty meta- the character was originally unofficial pro-intervention propaganda before the Americans joined the war, so in the film they embrace that and make him a comic book spokesperson for war bonds. It's brilliant- services the true origins of the character and provides a solid, believable background that, for want of a better word, excuses that rather silly costume. I've always said that suspension of disbelief relies on a strong internal logic and Captain America has that in spades.

The other really great thing about the film is the cast. To a man it's pitch perfect, but even so Chris Evans stands out as Captain America. The script helps, never loosing sight of the fact that Steve Rogers is the hero, not the Super Soldier Serum in his veins.

I am sad there isn't more of a slew of posts of people having gotten back from this!

Anyway, I'll go into a bit more in depth.

The opening of the film, and the first 20 minutes or so is just so awesome. Really fantastic old-vintage feeling, wholelly/wholly believable, thin Chris Evans looks....A LITTLE bit strange in a "Its computer" way, but having said that, it does look so seamless in most places...just a little hard to describe. But awesome. Great setup. Chris Evans is utterly utterly perfect for the role, he personifies it to a degree of both RDJ as Tony and Chris Hemsworth as Thor. Its so good. I am so so so happy about their iterations - all basically perfect in my humble opinion. Just...amazing that they got the trinity perfectly cast.

Hydra are so evil, so cool and so badass. Hugo Weaving is simply astoundingly COOL as Red Skull, evil, smart and powerful - actually one of my favourite villain performances in ages (well....since Loki. But on par with Loki I would say)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! All through the film I was wishing and praying, "Don't kill him, don't kill him" because he is such a strong character/actor/role....and.....oh my god, I shivered and jizzed with his final scene. Absolutely fucking fucking fucking amazing. Off to Asgard, which could lead to all god damn kinds of fun. How about an The Avengers after credits scene of Stane, Loki and Red Skull and Abomination (don't actually remember if Abomination survived The Incredible Hulk movie. Obv Stane apparently didn't in Iron Man, but no body = lolz.) but yeah....fucking....Masters of Evil win! SERIOUSLY can you imagine how cool that would be. But yeah. Ignoring that, I'm so chuffed with that.

Which leads me on to the FANTASTIC integration of both Iron Man and Thor (film mythology) into this movie. The status quo. God. So good. So so so so good. I love.

Great action, great scenes - the first scene where you see amped up Steve Rogers, I had shivers down my spine for the whole scene, which was long and awesome, and showed why this apparently normal guy (well...strong/epic etc) is truly something special. Then going on to show him being a great and intelligent tactician and leader.

Immense.